MSE News: HSBC and First Direct offer cashback credit and debit card schemes

1235»

Comments

• I have read and re-read the Terms and Conditions, and also the help. I can't see the "per account" restriction called out anywhere. All the discussion is per card. Can you point me to the particular section that says you can only have cashback once per account?

I agree. I have reviewed the T&Cs and can only see the following:

3.7 Visa shall pay such Cashback directly into the account of the Registered Card you used to make the Qualifying Purchase. We typically aim to provide you with your Cashback within 5 working days from your Qualifying Purchase. Such payment will appear on the statement of your Registered Card under the reference 'Visa Cashback'.

4.1 You agree that you will not:

act in any way that may harm or impair the Site, Other Channels or Visa's operation of the Cashback Service;
    use the Site, Other Channels, or participate in the Cashback Service in an unlawful or fraudulent manner, or in a way that could encourage others to act unlawfully or fraudulently;
    access or attempt to access the Cashback Accounts of other participants or to penetrate or attempt to penetrate any of the security measures in place;
    or seek to take advantage of any mistakes, flaws or loopholes (as viewed by a reasonable person) in the Offers or in the Cashback Service to gain a financial advantage.

Would the absence of clarity be seen as a loophole?
  • Ok thanks, time to put in a claim. There's a section on the site for claiming missing cashback
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 September 2017 at 4:41PM
    Are people getting the cashback they expect in a timely manner? For three transactions, one (Boots) was notified and paid within days. Two others (Esso, using his and her cards). For one of these, transaction on the 6th Sept, email confirmation on the 11th, but no cashback yet. The other Esso was on 8th - not heard a thing! I'll give it a bit longer before complaining, just wondered what others were seeing.

According to the offers website, the Esso cashback offer expired on 28 August ?

There looks to be another one on, but it started on 8 Sept.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    meer53 wrote: »
    According to the offers website, the Esso cashback offer expired on 28 August ?

There looks to be another one on, but it started on 8 Sept.

I think offers and dates are individual. I've just registered and mine start 22/9/17 and generally run to 8/10 or so.
  • Yes, seems people see different offers. In my case:

Esso
    £5 back on your next purchase of £40 or more
    Expires 14/09/17
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • keiran
    keiran Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I got a response to my query from hsbcofferseu

"""
    The ability to add multiple cards enables cardholders to choose which card they would like to redeem offers, for example between a debit and credit card.
    The offers that are available via Visa Offers are on a per account basis, not per card registered. Although any of the cards you have registered can be used to redeem an offer, it can only be redeemed once, unless the terms state it can be redeemed multiple times.
    """
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 744 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    keiran wrote: »
    I got a response to my query from hsbcofferseu

"""
    The ability to add multiple cards enables cardholders to choose which card they would like to redeem offers, for example between a debit and credit card.
    The offers that are available via Visa Offers are on a per account basis, not per card registered. Although any of the cards you have registered can be used to redeem an offer, it can only be redeemed once, unless the terms state it can be redeemed multiple times.
    """

Well, that's not what's in the T&Cs! Also, after my complaint, as of today they now show both "his and hers" as offers redeemed (on the same offer), but only one credited to our account so far.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 December 2017 at 12:20AM
    I just joined through this through the mention in the latest MSE newsletter.
    However I am annoyed about the lack of clarity on how to directly close an account, should I wish opt to a a later date. The information is frustratingly circular.
    ie:
    9. How to unsubscribe from the Cashback Service
    9.1 You may unsubscribe from the Cashback Service or opt out of marketing
    communications through your Cashback Account. For details on how to opt-out of these
    communications please refer to the Privacy Policy.

Privacy policy says this:
    Once you have registered with the Cashback Service, you will start receiving e-mail communications containing Merchant Offers ("Merchant Offer Emails"). You are able to request that we stop sending you Merchant Offer Emails via a link in the email to unsubscribe, through the Site or by withdrawing from the Cashback Service in accordance with the terms and conditions.

It only indicates unsubscribing from emails. There is no clarity on what "or by withdrawing for the cashback service in accordance with terms and conditions.."actually means in practice.
    Which then takes us back to the original T & C s and back linking to the privacy policy back to the T & Cs ad infinitum.

There is no option within the online account I can see, to unsubscribe there or close the account.Or even remove your card details. You can opt to not receive emails but you cant close your account there.
    So you actually have to opt into receiving emails in order to be able to get the unsubscribe link and to presumably close your account.
    Barmy.

I hate it when they play fast and loose with our personal data.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure