MSE News: Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity

Comments

• In other Tesco rounding-up news, it appears Tesco are prevaricating by taking ages to sort out why, on Sunday, they decided to round up the price of my Times by an additional 20p, despite my having a voucher for the full price of the paper...

https://twitter.com/xas7wcrg9e/status/909360185612922881

Can't help being somewhat cynical about the reason for this, given this thread...
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,585
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Is that your real address on Twitter?
  • I didn't know anything about this rounding-up business until I got home and saw it on my receipt. Some poor sod in Tesco Customer Services will be at the receiving end my my letter-writing skills tomorrow.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Not everywhere then...went to Tesco this pm , paid by contactless £22.54, no round up, just a note to say that is was cheaper than Asda,Morrisons and Sainsbury by £3.98.
    And a chance to win £1,000 by visiting Tescoviews.com
  • I've had this just happen to me and after contacting customer services they told me this is not down to staff error but that a "glitch" in their system is automatically adding the donation without consent. They also refused to refund the money unless I went back to that actual store that the error occurred (which would cost me more in petrol than the cost of the refund), when I told them I was unwilling to visit the store, they still refused to refund the money but told me they was happy for me to cancel the whole Visa transaction through the bank for my shopping instead. I don't quite understand the policy, but I'm more than happy to get my shopping for free instead of the 6p they owe me....
  • MikeArcher wrote: »
    but told me they was happy for me to cancel the whole Visa transaction through the bank for my shopping instead. I don't quite understand the policy, but I'm more than happy to get my shopping for free instead of the 6p they owe me....

Which will be the bank trying to apply a chargeback. Which Tesco's will argue against because you did in fact receive your shopping..

Not a lot of joined up thinking happening at Tesco's recently it appears.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Tesco - sneaky as always.

Taking the money from its customers, and then making a charitable donation using their money but reflected in its own accounts to get the glory - thus reducing the need for using shareholders' money.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    but reflected in its own accounts to get the glory - thus reducing the need for using shareholders' money.

Ahem.

https://www.ft.com/content/7fe6f710-465d-3bc5-99b2-e95ff6bc068f
    Three former senior Tesco executives overstated and “massaged” Tesco’s expected profits by £250m and then “bullied and coerced” less senior staff to falsify the figures, a criminal trial has heard.
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do you allow tesco to round you bill to the next £1 at the quick tills?
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    No I wouldn't.

I personally choose who I give donations to, not who Tesco thinks I should.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income