Husband is depressed and it is destroying our finances

For over a year now (with one month exception) my husband has been off with depression. He is working to deal with it but it's just destroying our finances. No matter how much we cut back it's impossible to compensate for a £600 loss of earnings every month.

I've been pondering with the idea of selling up and moving somewhere cheaper. We could live on the profits for a fair while and I hope it would give him space to recover and time to find a new job.

We would however be moving to parts unknown, and would need to do it soon as our child is due to start school in September...

Does it sound like a reasonable or really stupid idea?

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,564 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Is there any particular reason for his depression? Moving away from somewhere familiar with all the stress that moving entails does not sound appealing to someone with depression I would have thought unless he is unhappy in the house, with the area or so on. I hear you on the finance being difficult with his loss of income. Do you qualify for any benefits and if you have debt and presumably a mortgage have you tried to restructure these over a longer period to get the payments lower? Moving in itself costs money too. Is he still employed?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • We don't particularly enjoy living where we are living nor he his job - I actually have hopes that living near the sea would be good for him.
    Unfortunately not re benefits bar stat sick pay. The mortgage, I've been trying to hold out on restructuring as it's just over 23 years as it is and with both of us at 40, it sounds like it would cause us trouble when older to still have it :-/

The moving isn't too bad re costs as the difference between where we live and where I am looking (Isle of Wight) is huge.

He is still employed but I do think it's a problem in itself, he finds it a stressful environment and after so long off gets very anxious about going. He has a very useful job though where you can find employment most places.
  • enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you do move, make sure you both get a job first, go somewhere its economically active. Coastal areas are notorious for poor jobs and often minimum wage and seasonal.

Look beyond the allure before making a radical decision.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn't want to send any child of mine to school on the Isle of White, bearing in mind what the former boss of Ofstead had to say about the island...
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi,
    Could your partner request a part-time contract to help him get back into work and stay well? I appreciate this may not help your finances but it's better to be managing (emotionally) part time than being off sick long term. If you both feel he needs a different job you don't need to relocate in order to pursue this.

If debts are causing your financial strains you may need a debt solution or if it is a big mortgage you might still need to downsize.

Do you have family and friends where you live now? It is quite unlikely that moving will mean that your husband does not suffer with depression anymore (no matter how much you hope that would be the case) but you and he won't have a support network in a new town and if your little one has a granny/grandad, other relatives they spend time with they will miss them.

Moving to a new area is tough at the best of times so I don't think it is a decision you should make at the moment when your husband is unwell. If you would both like to live by the sea why not agree to look at it when you are both well and coming from a place of emotional strength. That way you will know you are not moving to get away from problems that will very likely move with you.

Tlc
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As one who lives by the sea and in a fairly remote area - just be careful it's wonderful in the summer with lots of people around, but in the winter it's dead - lots of the shops close, there are second homes which are empty and it's a long drive to go to the shop. I absolutely love it, but that's my choice. But for some people it would be difficult to adjust to.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • LabRatty
    LabRatty Posts: 74 Forumite
    Hi Persephone,
    A few thoughts -
    1. A year is a long time to be off. You say he is working to deal with the depression, but a year in, can you see any improvement? If not, suggest he reviews the strategy/medication/approach he is taking. The longer he is off work, the more difficult it becomes to return. Never underestimate the power of habit in shaping our behaviour - so easy to fall into and so hard to break. Agree that a phased return might be a way forward that benefits both parties. Could you get a referral for CBT or similar to address this specific issue?
    2. You say that his job is useful and transferable, but also that it is a stressful environment for him. Why would it be better in a new area where he also has to settle into a new set-up, which is itself stressful? I think it's a big ask to expect a new working environment to improve his depression; you may be better addressing the current work situation and looking at moving a little further down the line when he can cope with the job he already has. This is also better from the point of view of being able to get good references and start a new job in a better mental state.
    3. We have family members who relocated to the IoW about two years ago. They have just sold up and returned, at a loss. Visiting is expensive, employment opportunities very limited. If you want the coast, agree with the OP who thinks economic activity is important and would suggest a port town/city with wider year-round job opportunities, eg Southampton or other??
    4. With a depressive OH and a small child, you need to make sure you yourself are as well supported as possible. Do you have a supportive wider family? Are you near them? Would it be helpful if you were?

These are just the first things that come to mind. What does your OH think about a move? Is he even in a place to be able to consider it at the moment? I can see why the idea is attractive, but please research it as much as possible and avoid the trap of seeing it as a panacea.

All the best.
    LR
    Save In 2018 #109
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to send any child of mine to school on the Isle of White, bearing in mind what the former boss of Ofstead had to say about the island...

It's the Isle of Wight and Ofsted. Should people avoid where you were educated?
  • Thanks for the replies!

Re job, he's been trying for a phased return but still having a v hard time. He's Less depressed but quite anxious as well now. I definitely agree re CBT.

New work environment theory is based on hos current workplace being fairly toxic, and it being possible to get similar jobs in smaller happier places. I again do agree it would be much better to do so once he's been able to face his current job but it's really starting to feel like we're running out of time and ability to absorb this loss of income.

I agree that the worry of the economy there is definitely a big deal.

We have no support network where we are now, nor really one anywhere bar Perhaps one in Hertfordshire - but that's also pretty expensive.

Ah I don't know. I know if he's not reliably better and working by December and if nothing has changed, we will lose our house as I will be going onto basic maternity leave (conceived rather inadvertently in his good two months earlier this year). So - it feels like doing something now that frees up equity will be a good idea. But I really really don't know what. Our mortgage is only £150k and our house is pretty much one of the cheapest you can get in our bit of Surrey.
  • ada-or-ardor
    ada-or-ardor Posts: 136 Forumite
    What a tough situation to be in.

Have you been to CAB to see what benefits he might be entitled to? I take it he has actually been signed off by a doctor (sorry if I've missed this).

Is it mostly work that leads to his depression? Do you think if he quit and got a really simple part-time job close to home (just to bring in a few pounds) it might help his recovery? Also I'm wondering how he would cope if he were the stay at home parent and you go back to work after little one is born? I appreciate it's far from ideal but worth considering?

I think you need to think of every option before you sell up, especially if you're in a high demand area like Surrey. If you step off the ladder there, it will be very hard to get back. Could you speak to your mortgage people about payment holidays considering the circumstances? Might be helpful to do this after CAB when you have a bit more information.

Finally, have you actually had this conversation with him, or does it put too much pressure on him? And have you spoke with him about the status of his illness, and how he feels his recovery is going (or not)?

Ada xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport