Santander keep sending me PPI forms

I believe I may have had PPI from Santander [ including Cahoot] but I got rid of all my paperwork after a couple of years. After all who would have thought trustworthy and ethical financial institutions would have caused such a scandal.
But I filled out the FO Questionaire. The trouble is Santander just keep sending me another form and saying they want full details of account numbers etc which I do not have. I am now on my fourth communication from them despite me asking if they can just tell me if I am on their database for PPI .
Do I need to complain to the FO about this or am I up a creek without a paddle. I see ML has said you dont have to have all the details and I have sent the same questionaire to other banks who have given me a decision about PPI. In fact 2 have sent me money when I just filled out the basic details in the same format I keep sending to Santander. I have been living at the same address for over 25 years so I feel they are fobbing me off.

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    They need info from you that they don't have. The only wayfor you to see what's left is send them a SAR and £10.
    That doesn't mean there's any info, jut that you're asking them for whats left.
    If they have no info, your complaint is over.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you believe they have details, do a SAR.

But it certainly sounds like they cannot locate you, due to archiving. Certainly not likely to be any degree of fobbage.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have been living at the same address for over 25 years so I feel they are fobbing me off.

Firms destroy data that is no longer required. When one firm buys the book of another firm, they often only gate data on currently open accounts (or those that have only recently closed). They often do not get the data of the old firm showing old closed accounts.

Also, some historic filing may be under account number and not any other means.

You probably are not getting fobbed off.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DorsetDave2
    DorsetDave2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies.

It looks as if I will have to drop it then. With such a scandal I can't understand why the financial institutions were not told that THEY had to contact people who had PPI from them as well as us applying. In a similar vein to motor manufacturers having to contact vehicle owners for a recall. They really are getting away with having to fork out millions [if not billions] .

Nevertheless a couple of Banks have found my details and given me refunds from the same details I gave Santander. If they had just told me they couldnt find my details on their database I would have been satisfied. Instead they just keep sending me forms and asking for account numbers etc. - just stereotypical letters.

I have never been a fan of Santander anyway as I had to close my account with them, as at the time they told me I had to have a mobile phone in order to bank with them.

Thanks again for the help
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It looks as if I will have to drop it then. With such a scandal I can't understand why the financial institutions were not told that THEY had to contact people who had PPI from them as well as us applying.
    Such letters have been going out to people who had PPI for a few years now. Of course, they don't write to people for whom they no longer have records, or who didn't have PPI, nor do the letters admit any liability.

Not everyone who bought PPI was mis-sold it. The letters are an invitation to complain, but they also commence the clock ticking on a time-bar on possible future complaints.
    In a similar vein to motor manufacturers having to contact vehicle owners for a recall. They really are getting away with having to fork out millions [if not billions] .
    It's nothing like a manufacturer's recall I'm afraid because there is actually nothing wrong with PPI as a product. It is the manner in which it was often sold that is the problem. Far from saving £billions, the amount paid out by Banks in PPI refunds is already in the £billions.
    Nevertheless a couple of Banks have found my details and given me refunds from the same details I gave Santander.
    Other banks have different archives and there was PPI (you are not certain of this with Santander)
    If they had just told me they couldnt find my details on their database I would have been satisfied. Instead they just keep sending me forms and asking for account numbers etc. - just stereotypical letters.
    Unfortunately, you are providing very little information and are "complaining" even though you are not certain you even had the insurance. It's the manner in which you are conducting your "research" which is causing you problems. What you should have done was simply enquire whether there was PPI on any of your accounts prior to making a complaint. You could have even done this formally by sending a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter. A SAR costs £10, but legally requires the Bank to provide all records it has on file for you.

I hope that puts you more in the picture.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I can't understand why the financial institutions were not told that THEY had to contact people who had PPI from them as well as us applying.

Because there is nothing wrong with having PPI. Some firms have uphold rates on PPI of just 10%.
    In a similar vein to motor manufacturers having to contact vehicle owners for a recall.
    A recall is becuase of a known fault. PPI complaints are an allegation of wrongdoing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure