Freelance Work

Options
HI All,

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place to post this but I am wondering if someone can help me as I am looking for freelance work.

I am looking for freelance companys who can give you work like writing or data entry.

Hope you can help.
Just Looking For Advice. :-)

Comments

• shmeeko69
    shmeeko69 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    Katie22313 wrote: »
    HI All,

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place to post this but I am wondering if someone can help me as I am looking for freelance work.

I am looking for freelance companys who can give you work like writing or data entry.

Hope you can help.

There are quite a few sites out there like freelancer, elance..... The one which seems to be getting most of the work at present is fiverr.com.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, as it's low budget and you only get paid $4 per task. The requirements for fiverr are that you open an account with a relevant paypal address, build a profile and start advertising your services on their platform for prospective buyers to find.

You want to be able to complete each task within 15 - 30 minutes, as you only get paid $4, as fiverr take their 20% on each completed order. Once you get a few orders and hopefully some positive feedback with it the rest should take of itself.

All the Best
    Lao Tzu - "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime"

Derek Bok - "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
  • funkybob989
    Options
    If you google Ramit Sethi he has a lot of good advice about freelancing. He's really American and market-y so it can seem scammy at first but the advice helped me.
  • TamiBolton
    TamiBolton Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    The ones I can think of off the top of my head:

elance
    odesk
    guru
    craigslist
    gumtree
    people per hour
    fivver
    microworkers

Th important thing is to find one that you are comfortable with and build up a decent profile with it. if you spread your efforts around too many of them you are diluting your efforts to build your reputation. once you have a good rep the work will come in fairly regularly. As stated earlier something like fivver can be huge if it gets popular.
  • headgirl49
    headgirl49 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    fiverr is pretty good
  • Robinette
    Robinette Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you an experienced writer? If so, Pure Content uses freelancers to write content for websites. Textbroker and Populis are other options.
  • Zoee
    Zoee Posts: 61 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2013 at 1:58AM
    Options
    @shmeeko69
    as you only get paid $4,

partially true
    (Depending on status you can charge from minimum $5 to $100 per order)

as fiverr take their 20% on each completed order.
    partially true
    ($1 is taken each time your withdraw earnings. For example earn $5 and you decide to withdraw to PayPal, you'll get $4 deposited Let earnings build to $50 you'll get $49 Build to $500 you'll get $499 and so forth)

BTW: A Fiverr seller bought a USA house with his earnings

and

another Fiverr seller earns on average $30 to $50 per order

These Fiverr success stories may make you view "it's only a fiverr" term differently ;)

EDIT: From looking at other postings by you about Fiverr, am assuming that you already know about the success stories referenced above

===

@ Katie22313
    looking for freelance work.

Some use the site for their sole income and declare earnings. One UK seller, took redundancy and gets double her old pay with her Fiverr gigs

like writing or data entry.
    If join Fiverr, for this type of work, one advice I would give is to ensure you restrict your words/data to a minimum amount for $5 ie 500 words and anything above your buyer needs to order again ie 500 to 900 is another $5. Similar to data entry work, restrict time to specifics For example 3hrs for $5 or 500 entries for $5

NOTE: There are a lot of sellers offering writing or data entry gigs

Must say, I'm still enjoying being a buyer and seller since I signed up:)

Zoee
  • Ellie77
    Ellie77 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I realise this post is pretty old now, but I'm basically looking for what are currently the best of the rest freelance sites. I am an experienced editor looking for editing and writing jobs.

Thanks,
  • Hi, first time poster here. I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction please.

I work part time, but have recently taken on my first ever freelance job on the side. We agreed an estimate for the job, but I'm a bit clueless about tax. I haven't told the tax man yet, I fully intend to, but in the interim, when I get paid, I have no idea how much to set aside for a future tax bill? Also I'm conscious I have a part time job, so I imagine this will need to be considered to (it's for the public sector, so I'm already being taxed for this role).

Is there a website/ online calculator that would be helpful? Any advice gratefully received.
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    Does your part-time job use up your personal allowance? If so, set 20% of the freelance income aside. Is this a one-off assignment or do you expect to get more freelance work?
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This ^^^^

If you're going to be doing a lot of freelance work then you may want to look at setting up your own Ltd. company. You can then offset any business expenses ( travel, premises, accommodation, etc. ) and you only pay corporation tax on the profits, rather than the entire gross income.

It's probably not worth it for the odd ad-hoc job here and there, but if you'll be doing a fair bit it's worth considering. And if you do choose to go down this route, then a decent accountant will not charge too much, and will be worth his/her weight in gold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure