Scammed by Entitlements Agency

Comments

• TM1976 wrote: »
    Having said that when you're using names like "The Entitlements Agency" and thetaxoffice.org you're clearly to create the impression you're a government agency. It's pretty obvious they aren't from the website but it's still a bit of a sharp practice.

I agree.

My student daughter was looking into reclaiming some tax and this lot popped up. She was filling out the forms when I looked over her shoulder and it needed a double-take to realise that they are not part of Government. Fact that they are now using "inland-revenue.org" in their address doesn't exactly help to clear things up.

They state that they are "regulated" by the Ministry of Justice with respect to claims management services. Must be one of those "light touch" regulatory bodies if they can play fast and loose like this .......
  • TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Jock_Scot wrote: »
    I agree.

My student daughter was looking into reclaiming some tax and this lot popped up. She was filling out the forms when I looked over her shoulder and it needed a double-take to realise that they are not part of Government. Fact that they are now using "inland-revenue.org" in their address doesn't exactly help to clear things up.

They state that they are "regulated" by the Ministry of Justice with respect to claims management services. Must be one of those "light touch" regulatory bodies if they can play fast and loose like this .......

http://www.justice.gov.uk/claims-regulation/information-for-consumers/how-to-complain

Ministry of Justice CMC regulation is for PPI, personal injury claims etc though so they won't regulate these types of services.
  • My son has requested a tax rebate and we received notification from inland revenue back in May that his rebate had been sent to the entitlements agency, he still has not received any payment from this agency (two months has now passed). Can anyone advise as to how long it is before you receive your rebate from this agency? Or is there any advice available as to how we can contact them, as phone number never answers? Does anyone know if there is legal help available, or if contacting citizens advice, will help him to get his money from these people?
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    AstroBoy72 wrote: »
    I asked for advice not criticism, thanks anyway.

The only advice that I can give, is that you signed (online) a contract, and have to stick with that.

In this case, the contract was rebate minus 17%.

The Entitlements Agency have done what you asked them to do, HMRC have done what they were asked to do, so as far as I'm concerned, all is fair.

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    CK, that was over a year ago, I expect the OP has got over it by now :D.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    agrinnall wrote: »
    CK, that was over a year ago, I expect the OP has got over it by now :D.

Sorry, I go into 'Auto response' mode at that time in the morning :D
    💙💛 💔
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sammsbt wrote: »
    My son has requested a tax rebate and we received notification from inland revenue back in May that his rebate had been sent to the entitlements agency, he still has not received any payment from this agency (two months has now passed). Can anyone advise as to how long it is before you receive your rebate from this agency? Or is there any advice available as to how we can contact them, as phone number never answers? Does anyone know if there is legal help available, or if contacting citizens advice, will help him to get his money from these people?

Does the company know the correct address for your son?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    Sorry, I go into 'Auto response' mode at that time in the morning :D

Yes, I've done it myself without realising. It's why I made a suggestion that in the thread list it could say alongside the originator's name the date when the thread was created, so it would be a bit more obvious which are old ones, but the idea was pooh-poohed by other posters.
  • If someone is experiencing it, they will click on it and benefit from your posts - so you are fabulous anyway xx
    No debts. No credit cards. No store cards. No mortgage. No CCJs. High credit rating intact. Living frugally. Want to start business soon. Trying to keep head above water; while standing on own feet; staying within the law; and not falling into debt. Looking to raise income, who isn't?
  • Strange question but could calling something like this a 'scam' in the public domain get you into trouble? It is vanishingly unlikely to be a scam (unpleasant and maybe even misleading - but IMO probably legal).

Everyone who makes a mistake these days screams scam. Detracts from the rattentin gien to eal conmen in my opinion, we should use the word with caution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure