Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• You have had such a productive day, well done you! All those little bits and bobs really add up don't they, and make a big difference over a period of time. Bolognese on toast sounds lovely :drool: x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Confession time.... we had takeaway last night, not the chilli I'd intended. :o I really just didn't fancy the chilli and in my defence since my birthday weekend at the beginning of the month, we've been really good about not eating out/takeaways. It was worth it, I got cashback and there's leftovers for lunch today. The chilli will be eaten tonight. :) Moving swiftly on....

Sorted the car insurance yesterday - rang current provider and they got their quote down to about £20 more than the ones we'd found. As it keeps both cars on one policy, and it's good cover I was happy with that (alternative would've involved monopolistic T*sco, which I try to avoid). Have saved £122.83 over budgeted costs, so will be transferring that to the mortgage OP fund. :T

Work done this morning - another quiet day. Some other jobs done too, but a few more to work through. I still need to ring Sky, but want DH to properly read the options from +net first, as I don't think Sky can match it. Also need to post Bay parcel, pick up a birthday card for a friend and bake a coconutty tray bake for my Mum - she was meant to have it for her birthday, but I thought giving her a cold might not go down too well :rotfl:

Up to £34 on 1P, £6 on VB and £5 on YSP. As Dory says, 'just keep swimming, just keep swimming....'. There's also Maximilles, YG, Cr0wdology, SBs, NV (£33!) the list is never ending, but I don't worry too much if I don't do every survey. Claimed £1.13 from £co too yesterday, so when that hits my account I'll add it to the pot.

OP fund currently stands at £420.84 - of this £333 is catching up with last month's, but we're beginning to make inroads into Feb's payment. Hopefully DH might have a bit more MB money for me. Ooh and money from the rounding bank account app....

Enough waffle from me. Things I'm grateful for today:
    * birds singing in the garden
    * seeing mum later with some baked goodies
    * it's Friday! :j
    * thank you email from a friend for her birthday card :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You are doing so well themadvix ,well done .I think its nice to have a little treat occasionally ,we have had fish and chips this week ,it gets miserable otherwise and its easy to think about saving all the time ,i find if i give myself a break now and then it becomes easier to save overall.Its a beautiful day here again ,i have just got home from a lovely walk with the dog now going to work out my meal plan and shopping list for the week.
  • themadvix
    Hope everyone's had a good weekend!

Hi TH, you're right about a treat - it's just we have treats built in to the plan, and 'not fancying' something/can't be bothered to cook is just a poor excuse. Anyway, it was yummy, so I'm not too worried! (And we finished the last of the chilli for lunch today :) Glad you had a good day on Friday - the weather has been miserable here all weekend.

Yesterday was expensive as one of our cats isn't well and so we had to see the vet. £50. And he's not looking much better, so it'll be back to the vets again tomorrow :( Poor thing. He's insured, so if there's more dramatic costs from tomorrow I'll be getting onto the insurance company.

Have spent a bit of today listing a load of small bits on the Bay.... I had an offer for 50% off final listing fees, so it means they're worth a bit more to me, even with the ridiculous PP fees. Most have been listed for a couple of quid, but hopefully they'll sell and it'll add up. Posted a board game that sold on there too, so that's a few more £s for the OP fund. £co cashback for Wh!ch trial finally paid out too as well as a couple of other bits, so £7.80 requested and transferred.

Have just done a big supermarket delivery order - we've not had one since before Christmas and the cupboards and freezer are looking rather bare - a stock up is desperately needed! Will continue to finish up things in the cupboard though.

Think I'd better go and find something for dinner...

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    Hope your cat is a little better today themadvix ,its always very worrying ,i hate seeing my cats or dog ill ,i always feel so helpless so hoping its been a better day for you .
  • themadvix
    Thanks TH. He's not really - went to the vets again this morning and they've booked him in for some diagnostic tests tomorrow, with a proviso that if goes downhill to take him back straight away. :( My cats are my babies, and it's very worrying! Have just spoken to insurance company and they've sent me a claim form.

In MS news:
    * sold a couple of bits on the Bay - £3.50 to the OP pot (they're flat items so postage is a doddle :) )
    * have been doing all the surveying possible
    * a little bit of work.... and a snotty email to client who *still* hasn't paid. I won't be doing any more for them until the bill is settled.

Made the mistake of looking on RM yesterday - found the perfect property - seemingly perfect in every way, feeling very frustrated that we're not really in a position to move yet... (DH might be asking his boss more seriously about the whole transferring offices thing today...!:eek: I've already checked out the broadband/phone signal connection there, the stamp duty we'd have to pay and have various Air Bnb plans in my mind.... it's even galvanised me to get on with some decorating this afternoon....)

Ahem... I'm sure we'll come back to reality with a bump shortly.... in the meantime, here's to getting the decorating done!

• try_harder
    Im so sorry to hear that ,i know how worrying it can be but heres hoping things will turn around for you .Oh dear looking on RM is not a good idea ,i do it all the time and it only makes me feel a bit dissatisfied although i really am very lucky but on the other hand it also keeps me motivated to save the money thinking one day i may be able to afford the dream house.
  • themadvix
    Looking on RM was pretty much a one-off because I know it's not a good idea, but unfortunately, the property was pretty much a one-off too :(

However, I have done various bits of painting this afternoon that needed doing. Poorly kitty is sleeping on my lap now, gently snoring :)

• themadvix
    edited 31 January 2017 at 11:30AM
    Good news! Poorly kitty has got better with the help of the anti-inflammatories from the vet, so cancelled diagnostic procedures this morning and will be continuing with the drugs for a few more days. So no insurance claim required - events have cost £90, but I don't begrudge a penny.

Client still hasn't paid, and no news on that front last night (they're in the US), so am getting very cross now. Hoefully it will appear in my bank account overnight, as otherwise I have barely any income this month - so little that I won't be paying any tax on it! (But also so little that I'll need the OP fund to cover costs. Really annoying as this is the first month DH has paid my cc bill and we were on target for a huge OP.)

In other work-related news, I'm working on an unexpected project at the moment for my main client, with the expectation of something else arriving later. I've also been offered a relatively large project that should arrive soon from another client who had been quiet for some time, which is rather nice.

DH didn't manage to speak to his boss last night - I think he was intending to this morning... We're both very excited about the house we've spotted, but whether it's feasible is highly doubtful. Still, they say you regret the things you don't do in life, so if boss says it might be possible we might go and have a look this weekend. (Kind of hoping we find something that puts us off, but that doesn't seem to be happening at the moment!)

Things I'm grateful for:
    * kitty being better - so so grateful for this!
    * central heating - just popped out to get the cat's drugs and couldn't believe how cold it is again today!
    * sis and niece coming for lunch later (need to buy some bread!)
    * freebie JL tea and cake tonight with DH (last knockings as it expires today!)

ETA: Forgot to add, made gnocchi last night (because it comes in plastic we don't buy it anymore and I love it) - used a girl called Jack's recipe - it was delicious and there's enough for supper (after JL cake) tonight. So glad gnocchi is back on the menu! :D

• themadvix,

What a positive way to look at things - being grateful for a mortgage to pay off.

I'm a spreadsheet nut too, they're so good to keep track of things aren't they? I also love the idea of a self-sufficient eco home, what a great long term financial and environmental goal.

Wishing you all the best for your future. :beer:
    Mortgage @ May 2014 [STRIKE] £103,347.24[/STRIKE]. Mortgage @ 2%:[STRIKE]£90, 321.99[/STRIKE], £89, 949.44
    CC @ 0%: [STRIKE]£5473.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5419.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5365.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5312.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5259.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5207.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5155.72[/STRIKE], £5104.72
    Home Improvement Loan @ 0%: £0, settled July 2017
    Emergency Savings: £2050/£5000
    Intending to be mortgage-free by 2022 :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family