Sending out 'speculative' letters to employers

Options

Comments

• CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2011 at 8:48PM
    Options
    geek84 wrote: »

Apart from looking in yellow pages, where else can I get a list of names & addresses for local businesses/employers?

Thanks in advance

1. Going into your local library - They may have a Kompass directory or similar but might not be upto date

2. Going into google maps and picking out an industrial estate at random,(Using the streetmap option).You should in many cases be able to zoom in and identify some businesses. Then cross reference the name of the company in a search engine and you might get contact names etc,

3. Using Shanks's pony and just call in companies/businesses and get contact names that way.
  • mandrose
    mandrose Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Geek84 - I'm in the same position as you and I'm also doing speculative letters (as well as applying for jobs via agencies).

I'm also a bit confused as to how to get the name of the person to write directly to in a company, so I'll be interested to see any replies to this question.

I'm sure you have already done this Geek84 but I've found a lot of companies advertise jobs on their websites rather than through an agency! I've got a large business park near me, so I drove around and wrote down all the company names. If they don't show vacancies I then do them a speculative letter!

I'm hoping by covering all angles the perfect job will come my way soon! Good luck to you too in your job search!
  • Wellery82
    Options
    mandrose wrote: »
    Hi Geek84 - I'm in the same position as you and I'm also doing speculative letters (as well as applying for jobs via agencies).

I'm also a bit confused as to how to get the name of the person to write directly to in a company, so I'll be interested to see any replies to this question.

I'm sure you have already done this Geek84 but I've found a lot of companies advertise jobs on their websites rather than through an agency! I've got a large business park near me, so I drove around and wrote down all the company names. If they don't show vacancies I then do them a speculative letter!

I'm hoping by covering all angles the perfect job will come my way soon! Good luck to you too in your job search!

Personally i would suggest that often having an individual name isn't that important as actually making sure the CV gets to the company, with a clear indication of what work you are looking for, enabling people to forward the e-mail to the right person.

A lot of larger companies now have a generic e-mail such as "careers@" or "jobs@" which will get picked up by the right people and forwarded accordingly. If you look on the careers section of websites, or even the contact us sections then you should find an e-mail you can send your CV to, the CV should end up forwarded ultimately to the right department. If you are confident enough and have enough time you can always ring the companies direct and ask for the e-mail of the Finance/HR/Engineering/Customer Services manager or whichever may be appropriate.

Good luck
  • Wellery82
    Options
    Hi Folks

Many thanks again for your replies.

The only problem I can see in emailing my CV to employers, is that there will not have a signature at the bottom of my covering letter.

Also, don't you think it is easier for the employer to delete the email (if they want), than throwing a hardcopy of the CV in the bin, which they would receive through the post?

Finally, I have another question for you kind folks out there -

Apart from looking in yellow pages, where else can I get a list of names & addresses for local businesses/employers?

Thanks in advance

Hi Geek,

Ultimately everyone is different so there is never an answer that is 100% right on this one. I have worked in recruitment departments for a number of years though and would always recommend an e-mail myself. It is just a lot easier to pass on an e-mailed CV to a few people, or to add it to a central database for future reference. With a hard copy it is more likely to be left lying around, or if nothing is available that day thrown away. Add on problems such as broken scanners and it can become a hassle to get the CV to the right person. I woudn't personally say the signature makes any difference, although again maybe others hold different views. The majority of work communication is now carried out by e-mail and the lack of a written signature is almost assumed in most correspondence in my opinion.

Regards list of companies sites such as yell.com can give useful lists for you based on your location, and also at the risk of sounding patronising maybe keep an eye out and just jot names down when you have been driving about in the local area. The great thing is when you have a list of companies and contact e-mails (or addresses if you choose to post) then even if it doesn't help you this time it makes it really easy to send out speculaltive CVs if you are ever in the same position in the future. So hopefully a bit of hassle now will work well in the long run
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Options
    Jimavfc82 wrote: »
    Personally i would suggest that often having an individual name isn't that important as actually making sure the CV gets to the company, with a clear indication of what work you are looking for, enabling people to forward the e-mail to the right person.

Good luck

That is a fair point as it can sometimes be difficult to get the right contact name. Sometimes the receptionist, or first point of contact could be under instruction to refuse to give it out as they don't want that person to be pestered with unwanted marketing/cold calls.
  • RedSoleShoes
    RedSoleShoes Posts: 456 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2011 at 12:05AM
    Options
    OP I would seriously suggest that you do not waste time trying to get your letters printed externally. As others have mentioned, emailing is a lot better. Your time would be better spent googling local companies, checking their websites and then emailing a more tailored letter and CV to each particular company. Not only would this be cheaper for you, but you are going to target places with a more direct approach.

As for Royal Mail, 3 of my xmas cards finally got delivered last week having been posted over a month before so you cannot even be sure when/if your spec CV will arrive at your chosen company :eek:
  • MsHoarder
    MsHoarder Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    For printing, I got CVs for a careers fair (which I wanted to be well done, on good paper) done at the local "printers/ink" shop, which also offers professional printing and will do small print runs.

For finding companies, aside from the yellow pages if you go to the local or main city library, they usually have paid access to business databases, with details on companies and their markets. Check your local library website to see if they have something like that.
    "Every single person has at least one secret that would break your heart. If we could just remember this, I think there would be a lot more compassion and tolerance in the world."
    — Frank Warren
  • geek84
    geek84 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Folks

Many thanks indeed for all your advice.

Apart from yellow pages, I may also try Kompass online.

Any further advice (particularly regarding how to phrase the covering letter), would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I am targetting accountancy jobs - since I have started my AAT course, and one day hope to qualify as a chartered accountant!
  • spandangled
    Options
    Hi Folks

Many thanks again for your replies.

The only problem I can see in emailing my CV to employers, is that there will not have a signature at the bottom of my covering letter.

Also, don't you think it is easier for the employer to delete the email (if they want), than throwing a hardcopy of the CV in the bin, which they would receive through the post?

Finally, I have another question for you kind folks out there -

Thanks in advance

Well, I open all the mail in our company. And no speculative letters get near my boss, whereas anyone who had her email address, and it wouldn't take a genius to work it out as they follow the same pattern, would at least get into her inbox for her to make that decision.

So...yes it is easy to delete. But, bear in mind, it only takes an office bulldog like me to throw it in the waste paper bin.

Besides, if someone sends me an unsolicited job application, I don't necessary feel the need to reply (as it's unsolicited) and I wouldn't generally keep their details on file, but if they email me, I'm more likely to reply with the words 'all vacancies are advertised on our website or through our mailing list, and we also have a list of vacancies forwarded on from other employers that I can send to you, if you would like to be on that mailing list' along with other places that we use to advertise sector specific positions.

So don't knock email! It's much more efficient, cheaper and well, if you were sending it to me, much more likely to elicit a response. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but time's precious to most people!
  • spandangled
    Options
    Jimavfc82 wrote: »
    Hi Geek,

I woudn't personally say the signature makes any difference, although again maybe others hold different views. The majority of work communication is now carried out by e-mail and the lack of a written signature is almost assumed in most correspondence in my opinion.

I got an email from someone, who had their signature in their email signature (they were applying for a job). I immediately thought it was a bit over the top! So I wouldn't worry, it doesn't necessarily do you any favours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure