Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Was it because the extra protein wasn`t declared on the ingredients :eek:
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Lidl are now putting Best Before dates on their produce, instead of codes - falling in line with Aldi. A big improvement.

So even more perfectly good food going to waste because people notice yesterday's date on the packaging and throw it away, instead of using their judgement.

I thought stores were being discouraged from doing this.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    So even more perfectly good food going to waste because people notice yesterday's date on the packaging and throw it away, instead of using their judgement.

I thought stores were being discouraged from doing this.

Lidl were one of the only stores (maybe THE only store) doing this, and putting a date rather than a code is just simple transparency, treating customers with more respect.

Aldi and Lidl both have weaker supply chains (not a full cool chain) than stores like Waitrose and Tesco, resulting inevitably in shorter shelf lives. I don't have a great problem with that (for the lower prices) but it is essential to watch the BB dates and I found having to translate the Lidl ones a minor annoyance.

Customers can surely be educated to know the difference between 'Use by' and 'Best Before' and apply their own commonsense, but finding produce deteriorating within a day or two of purchase is inexcusable, and this transparency makes that less likely.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    I want dates on produce, not because I intend throwing them away once the date is passed, but to enable me to more easily identify the freshest produce on display.
    Stompa
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    I'm with Stompa, although one of the Aldi staff showed me once how to read the codes they then used on the fruit and veg, so that I could identify the freshest produce. Each week had a number, once you had cracked that, it was clear.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I checked back on receipts and I notice that the price has been rising steadily for some months not just a couple of weeks. I think it's just that going into the next £10 bracket made me notice.

Before Christmas I ate from the freezer a lot to create space for the turkey and other festive bits. So I have had to buy more meat than usual in recent weeks.

I'll find a way of cutting back a bit (DH says he'll happily try a few veggie meals) but it must be so hard for some families.
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Noticed in the last week quite a few price drops after the pre-Xmas rises, however my shopping weekly now seems to creep into the £50 bracket more and more.

A big con this week is the cheeses which have increased to 400g from 350g with a 'bigger better value' sticker on them. Except the per KG cost is 2p more at £4.73 a KG versus the £4.71 a KG in the old size.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    robrymond wrote: »
    A big con this week is the cheeses which have increased to 400g from 350g with a 'bigger better value' sticker on them. Except the per KG cost is 2p more at £4.73 a KG versus the £4.71 a KG in the old size.

That seems relatively benign compared to the more general "shrinkflation" we see elsewhere.

Most of my L & A shopping basket has either known long-term prices (for example, the premium sliced bread has been 79p for a couple of years, the Soya Milk 59p for many, many years), or seasonal pricing and offers (like fresh fruit & veg), and there are even one or two on-going reductions (French Brie reduced by 15%, and Lentil Curls reduced by 25%).

(all the above prices and reductions are available in both Lidl and Aldi).

Even slightly niche products like Lidl Trail Mix with its imported ingredients have been the same price for a long while.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Had Aldi's SS Thai Style Prawn, Chilli and Lemongrass fishcake. Very tasty. Seriously recommend if like fishcakes
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl both have weaker supply chains (not a full cool chain) than stores like Waitrose and Tesco, resulting inevitably in shorter shelf lives.
    I did not know that. I just assumed a full cold chain was regulated as an industry standard.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure