y-cam homemonitor ending free cloud recording

Comments

• Amazon are currently trying me they can't/won't do anything and y cam are ignoring me.. nowhere to go.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 December 2017 at 11:09AM
    Amazon are currently trying me they can't/won't do anything

That is not my experience and several others on here.

I bought from Amazon itself, I am already refunded

what are Amazon saying to you?

• plunet
    plunet Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    plunet wrote: »
    Looks like the IT Press have now picked up on this issue...

Y-cam removes free cloud storage for its cameras

Plently of shares across Social Media for yesterday's article in the Register. Now the inquirer has picked up on the story, and points out that in an unrelated interview with the CEO a month ago nothing was mentioned then about the change to the inclusive free cloud service.

Y-Cam shuts down 'unsustainable' free cloud recording offer
  • Dam was about to contact Amazon to arrange return of 2 of my Y-cams and looking at my email i can see i ended up purchasing it directly from Y-Cam as they were on offer at the time :(

This would not be the end of the world if they at least enable other options like saving to my NAS but no options i can see or a way of streaming the feed through other software?
  • plunet
    plunet Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    FrugalMav wrote: »
    Dam was about to contact Amazon to arrange return of 2 of my Y-cams and looking at my email i can see i ended up purchasing it directly from Y-Cam as they were on offer at the time :(

This would not be the end of the world if they at least enable other options like saving to my NAS but no options i can see or a way of streaming the feed through other software?

If you used a credit card, try your card company, assuming you have approached Y-Cam and asked for a refund.
  • john85
    john85 Posts: 9 Forumite
    hichoslew wrote: »
    As far as I can see, most people are fine if pre-existing customers are not affected by the change. I genuinely believe Y-cam has also analysed this option, which however is not something they are willing to be committed to. What this implies is that Y-cam is well aware that without forcing the huge "majority" (as they stated on their Facebook page) of their existing customer base to pay, they are unlikely to survive by just charging the new customers.

This clearly indicates the nature of the change and further emphases that lifetime free cloud storage was the whole selling point. The camera products and the app are just not competitive enough in any other way. This is at the very least false advertising regulated under Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

I’d agree, they clearly thought this over before committing to such a big step, and trashing their relationship with existing customers. And to do it with an incredible 14 day notice period! It can only really mean one of two things, this company is either led by some very greedy and unscrupulous people, or its in a very bad place financially.

And who is going to sign up for their future storage plans knowing that?
  • Seems that the tech industry is the only industry that tries to get away with this kind of crap. I have a pile of hardware and software that either never worked or stopped working due to companies no longer supporting their products or breaking the product with updates or changes. Unfortunately, the tech industry is replete with individuals who do not have the skill set to do their jobs properly and make stupid decisions leaving customers with products that do not work and are a waste of money.

Y-cam's decision to renege on their agreement to provide free 7-day cloud service is just another example of how messed up this industry is. Y-cam charged a premium for a mediocre, at best, IP camera, and people decided to buy it anyway for the cloud service which was included in the price of the camera. Y-cam's decision to stop providing cloud service as agreed should be considered a fraudulent move.

And let me suggest a scenario which gets me back to my first comment regarding the ineptness of the engineers and developers who get hired in droves by companies thinking that they are getting labor for cheap (but instead get people that cause more problems than they solve). I have had the y-cam IP camera for over 3 years and have dealt with on-going technical issues that never get fixed or dealt with bugs that arise when someone f's up an update (which happens all the time - they never get it right). So one of the biggest issues that I have run into which has never been successfully addressed by Y-cam is the triggering of recordings due to motion detection. I have fought with the setting for years with no real solution to get the camera to record only when necessary when motion is detected. Instead, the camera records either too little or too much, and often times the recordings continue on for hours instead of being limited to a few minutes. These long recorded videos probably do take up space on the server, but is that my fault???? No, it is the fault of Y-cam and the ignorant engineers who can not seem to fix these types of issues.

I do not know if others have experienced these types of issues with their cameras, but I suspect that I am not the only one who has run into issues. And if too many videos are being uploaded to the server and if the software/firmware is faulty and does not stop recording when it should, then maybe we are paying the price for Y-cam's inability to address issues. Instead, they just want to increase their revenue (illegally) to cover these problems instead of actually fixing the problems.

Not to mention that now they want to charge for a service that was included with the product, and Y-cam expects that the customer would be happy paying for a service that has so many problems. I can not even download the videos as a group due to server errors, so I have to spend my time finding work-around and downloading only a few videos at a time. This is unacceptable, and Y-cam has now been added to my list of crap companies, and I hope to become one of their biggest detractors.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    From Ycam face book

Since Y-cam announced its decision to limit Y-cam’s free cloud recording service to 1 year we have been very aware of the disappointment and frustration that this decision has caused. So without any reservation we want to say sorry.
    Sorry that we had to make the change and sorry that we didn’t communicate the reasons for the change better with you, our customers. Simply put, the cost of hosting our advanced cloud-based service has reached such a level that not charging for it was commercially and economically impossible.
    We understand that some of our users see this decision as unacceptable and again I want to apologise for that. Y-cam has always put customer service first and we will work very hard to try and address all your concerns and we thank you for your continued support.
    On behalf of all us at Y-cam we say “sorry”.

Too little, too late
  • iDragon
    iDragon Posts: 18 Forumite
    Got my refund after return, top service from amazon, not so much y-cam.
  • Interesting thread - I bought an identical camera to the one in the pictures for around £35 quid a few years ago. So the Y-Cam label and the cloud service adds £65 or so to the purchase price. That's enough to buy 100GB of Google Drive storage for nearly 4 years and I would guess that 7 days recording takes up far less than that (I've never actually used ours for recording).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure