Housing benefit "eligible rent" Question

Options
Hi everyone

I just have a quick question as I'm confused... I might have to make a claim for universal credit in January which will include the housing element as I live in a room in a shared house.. however it's been a long time since I claimed anything and I read somewhere earlier that, if your accommodation includes the bills within the rent amount (which mine does) there will be a deduction from the housing benefit for the bills.

So, in my area LHA is 255 per month. My rent including bills is 450 per month, I plan to make up the shortfall out of the rest of the UC and a small amount from a few hundred savings I have. Based on this calculation how much approximately might be deducted for bills??

I'm really confused..
Thanks
A.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    They will ask for a breakdown from your housing provider of what is rent and what is bills.

They will only pay the rent portion, up to £255 maximum.
  • Anne1234_2
    Options
    Does this apply if I rent from a private landlord? If so, does this mean they will contact my landlord?? :-/
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Anne1234 wrote: »
    Does this apply if I rent from a private landlord? If so, does this mean they will contact my landlord?? :-/

Yes it applies to private lets

If you cannot provide them with a statement that shows what is bills and what is rent then they may contact your landlord for a breakdown. Does your tenancy not specify which amount is which?
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes it applies to private lets

If you cannot provide them with a statement that shows what is bills and what is rent then they may contact your landlord for a breakdown. Does your tenancy not specify which amount is which?

I don't believe this is correct. They cannot contact your landlord without your permission.

If you do not have a breakdown of what your rent covers (check your tenancy agreement) then I believe they have a formula for working out how much to deduct.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In any case, the maximum amount they will pay is £255 per month so you are going to have to find the extra money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure