The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Real life MMD: Should I charge my bro?

Comments

• Why would you charge a family member !!!
    It has no cost to you but your free time, which you should give to family freely.
  • cazpost
    cazpost Posts: 109 Forumite
    I really do wonder about some of the people who ask these 'dilemma' questons.
    He's your brother,you just help him.Thats what families do! If he is a nice bloke he will buy you dinner or give you some of the money. If he is not a nice bloke why are you helping him at all?
    I am interested to know why he needs your help,Martin tells us its easy to do it yourself.If it's because he has some genuine difficulty with forms,dyslexia etc,fair enough.If he's just a lazy git who can't be bothered to do it himself,again,why are you helping him?
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Columbo wrote: »
    I fail to see how this is a dilemma.

You are simply looking to make a quick buck out of money your brother has been fraudulently relieved of.

Thankfully you're not my sibling!

Perhaps he should handle ALL of his Brothers financial affairs, as he appears to stupid not to pay for things he didn't need?
    Methinks the term 'fraudulently' is misplaced. They must have explained what the extra charges were for, and he must have agreed to them.
    Using the term fraudulent doesn't automatically make them wrong. It makes the Brother stupid.
    They could do the same thing by doubling interest rates, and if Bro is stupid, or desperate enough to sign up for it, that's HIS problem.
  • cazpost wrote: »
    He's your brother,you just help him.Thats what families do!

Focusing on only this part of the statement, this is what a lot of people believe, and for many, yes, this is the case, and until a year ago I'd have said the same myself, but just because this is the idyllic situation, this is NOT always the case. He could just be trying to get his brother to do it because he can't be bothered, always a case by case basis in my book. Unfortunately, since we don't know the people involved, we have to specualte.

In my opinion, it depends on why you have to do it for him.

If he simply cannot be bothered, then I'd say yes, charge him, your time is worth something too, why should you spend your time helping him if he can't be bothered to help himself?

However, on the flip side:

If it's because he can't wrap his head around the process, why not just give him advice on how to do it, talk him through it and let him do the bulk of the work himself.
  • birkee wrote: »
    Perhaps he should handle ALL of his Brothers financial affairs, as he appears to stupid not to pay for things he didn't need?
    Methinks the term 'fraudulently' is misplaced. They must have explained what the extra charges were for, and he must have agreed to them.
    Using the term fraudulent doesn't automatically make them wrong. It makes the Brother stupid.
    They could do the same thing by doubling interest rates, and if Bro is stupid, or desperate enough to sign up for it, that's HIS problem.

Wrong! http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2012/02/07/wish-id-been-stupid-enough-to-get-ppi-in-the-first-place/ :money:
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 696
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am gobsmacked that you would even consider charging your own brother - and to the point where you are actually asking for advice on it!

Jeez! If you don't want to help him, point him to the 'free' reclaiming giude you have referred to and tell him you are sorry but you are too busy or don't want to take on the responsibility. But to charge him???

NO WAY!
  • birkee wrote: »

Your opinion is so misplaced like the person stated above; you are wrong check out martins blog. We dont need people like you on this site spurning off ill informed information. Before you make such sweeping statements about people why dont you read a bit more and actually understand what it is you are talking about...

PPI isnt just a small silly mistake made by some stupid people... it has been a major investigation and has resulted in legal action whereby people who were fraudulently missold something and stolen from where able to claim it back...

Your ignorance is sickening
  • N.I.M
    N.I.M Posts: 2,248 Forumite
    Like others have already said its case dependant. Is your brother a scrounger always looking for someone else to do stuff cause he couldnt be bothered? If so charge him. If he isnt capable of doing it himself then help him out either by doing it or by showing him how to do it and getting him to do as much as he is capable of doing. And take a quick look in the mirror...are you the scrounger?

Do we know what the poster does for a living? If he works in the industry this might be why he asked the question.
    This was 6 months out of date so I've changed it.
    :j:j:j:j
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE_Debs wrote: »
    This question was tweeted to Martin, so we thought we'd put it out there for collective wisdom. "My brother's asked me to do his PPI claim for him. I was thinking of asking for 10% of the money he'll get back. Do you think I should charge more? Is it worthwhile for me?"

I think this is the unfortunate risk of money saving. The other side of the coin as it were.

There are people who take things too far and the 'screw the companies back' and 'look out for your own finances' type of messages can be taken to the extreme by some.

Their focus becomes fixated on wealth/worth/material issues etc and they tend to forget other aspects of life.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • This is your brother - surely charge wouldn't come into the equation at all? Having said that - if I asked a family membe rto help me with something, I would always make a gesture of some kind, eg bottle of person's favourite wine, ask them round for dinner or similar - to show my appreciation of their help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure