Duplicate Tax Disc -on taxed car with no tax disc, bought at auction

Comments

• scotgirl2
    scotgirl2 Posts: 257 Forumite
    i was in similar cicumstances a few years back, i had to get my own tax disk in my own name after i registered the vehicle in my own name.

just a quick question? when the car was won at auction, did it have any description relating to the tax status? if so, and the car was a low price based on having no tax disk, you should check with previous owner name and address, whose name will be on the logbook V5 when you won the auction.
    :j HEATHER :¬) :T
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Having read through all the posts..I cannot understand why some posters come on here, ask a question, and then disagree with every logical reply!
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    scotgirl2 wrote: »
    i was in similar cicumstances a few years back, i had to get my own tax disk in my own name after i registered the vehicle in my own name.

just a quick question? when the car was won at auction, did it have any description relating to the tax status? if so, and the car was a low price based on having no tax disk, you should check with previous owner name and address, whose name will be on the logbook V5 when you won the auction.

The vast majority of cars sold at auction do not have a tax disc. This is why police wait just a few yards down the road to catch the chancers who decide to drive a vehicle home. There is no point at all contacting the previous owners about the tax status as this would have been made abundantly clear at the auction if the tax was being sold sold with the vehicle.

The auction description will make it quite clear if there is a tax disc. If the auctioneer does not say "vehicle has a tax disc" then there is no disc. In exactly the same way that if the auctioneer does not state "there is a service history" or "the vehicle has a brand new exhaust" etc then you can assume that there is no service history or brand new exhaust etc

terryw
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    S0litaire wrote: »
    Do you actually READ these posts?

once the DVLA has received a claim to refund the tax disk (with said tax disk provided as evidence) a couple of clicks on a keyboard, then the DVLA database is updated to sat that the car no longer has a valid Tax disk.

you are happily motoring along doing 65mpg on the motor way then Mr Plod in his panda car comes up behind you and flashes his wee blue lights.

Guess what the little box called "ANPR" has beeped to tell the polds in the panda that your Numberplate, according the the DVLA database, has NO valid Tax therefore no insurance or MOT!

so it's probably gonna cost you £300+ (£60 fine and points £120 for them to tow it away plus £20 per day storage) to get your car back. Those are rough estimates.

That's not even including the trouble you'll get in for if you DID get a disk from the DVLA think the legal phrase "obtaining with deception" my get banded about...

But if you think you'll get away with it! Go for it!
    You obviously don't understand.
    We don't know if the previous owner has the original disc, we don't know when they may if ever apply for a refund, it may be next week, it may be in 1 month.

I apply for & get a Duplicate disc before the previous owner applies for a refund.

You are an idiot because you said:
    "according the the DVLA database, has NO valid Tax therefore no insurance or MOT!"

which is completely WRONG!

Some people just don't have a clue.
  • john539
    Keith wrote: »
    They are very careful with their wording for a reason. The word "your" is a possessive word indicating something that belongs to you. Whilst completing the form you can not answer the question where is your tax disc because you have never had possession of one.

When the application for a refund is recieved it will be passed to the higher department to sort out, which is when your duplicate will be cancelled.

I just googled duplicate car tax fraud on google and this is the number one hit, a mod should change the title to "How not to commit VED Fraud"
    Read Section F very carefully, once the Duplicate is issued to the Registered Keeper, the original is No Longer Valid, therefore there is no refund to claim on the original.

Are you a fool, the reason this thread is No1 hit on Google, is because there is only one thread with the words you entered.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    John what you smoking?

If you don't have a valid Tax disk you immediately invalidate any insurance policy you have (read the small print).

I Admit you got me with the MOT, it's valid till it runs out.

But the DVLA database is updated to the police every 12 - 24 hours.

As you said YOU don't know if the seller had a tax disk. But the balance of probabilities says he HAS his tax disk and want's his 4 months or so of TAX back.

He must have had a tax disk to get it to the Auction house. otherwise it would have been sold at probably half the price you paid for it. (I don't know what you paid for it but for all the effort you're putting into getting FREE road tax it must have left you skint!!).
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • john539 wrote: »
    You obviously don't understand.
    We don't know if the previous owner has the original disc, we don't know when they may if ever apply for a refund, it may be next week, it may be in 1 month.

I apply for & get a Duplicate disc before the previous owner applies for a refund.

You are an idiot because you said:
    "according the the DVLA database, has NO valid Tax therefore no insurance or MOT!"

which is completely WRONG!

Some people just don't have a clue.

So you are basically admitting to deception???

The car was sold as seen with no road tax, you have no legal right to a tax disc and in claiming one -including making fraudulent declaration- you are commiting a criminal offence, Can we put it any simpler for your !!!!!! brain

It is illegal what you are proposing, now !!!! off
  • john539
    S0litaire wrote: »
    John what you smoking?

If you don't have a valid Tax disk you immediately invalidate any insurance policy you have (read the small print).

I Admit you got me with the MOT, it's valid till it runs out.

But the DVLA database is updated to the police every 12 - 24 hours.
    Tax, MOT, Insurance are all legally separate.

If one expires, it does NOT invalidate the others, which is obvious.

But to drive legally on the road you need Tax, MOT, Insurance, so if one is expired, you are committing other offences.
  • john539
    So you are basically admitting to deception???

The car was sold as seen with no road tax, you have no legal right to a tax disc and in claiming one -including making fraudulent declaration- you are commiting a criminal offence, Can we put it any simpler for your !!!!!! brain

It is illegal what you are proposing, now !!!! off
    Where has anyone said that ?

If you have nothing useful to say you can go to another thread.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    John are you going to fraudulantely claim that you had tax or not. You know very well that if you claim for a duplicate tax disc that is what you are doing as you have neither bought tax for this car or paid for the car to include the tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure