Duplicate Tax Disc -on taxed car with no tax disc, bought at auction

john539
john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I have just bought a 2nd hand car at auction which did not come with a tax disc.

I checked DVLA Vehicle Enquiry & found it's taxed till end of September.

According to DVLA website I can apply for a duplicate tax disc if I am the Registered Keeper, which I now am. DVLA website does not seem to distinguish between current/previous owners of car or tax disc.

How to apply for a duplicate tax disc
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_4022040

Download 'Duplicate vehicle licence disc application form' - form V20
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_4022040?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=98476&Rendition=Web

The previous owner may or may not have the previous tax disc & may intend to get a refund.

Can I get a Duplicate Tax Disc before they get a refund ?

Comments

• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    They'd have got a refund already, or otherwise by the end of this month to ensure they don't lose out on one of the unused months.
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    john539 wrote: »
    I have just bought a 2nd hand car at auction which did not come with a tax disc.

I checked DVLA Vehicle Enquiry & found it's taxed till end of September.

According to DVLA website I can apply for a duplicate tax disc if I am the Registered Keeper, which I now am.

How to apply for a duplicate tax disc
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_4022040

Download 'Duplicate vehicle licence disc application form' - form V20
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_4022040?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=98476&Rendition=Web

The previous owner may or may not have the previous tax disc & may intend to get a refund.

Can I get a Duplicate Tax Disc before they get a refund ?

Sorry but no. You did not buy the vehicle with a valid tax disc which you have lost.

terryw
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Technically you can, but you need to have the V5 in your name before you could.
    However, how would you legally answer question 3?
  • john539
    Look at the DVLA links, the DVLA are only interested in who is the Registered Keeper when they process request. If my name is there, they will process.

If previous owner does not apply for refund quick (in next few weeks), it seems I can get a Duplicate.
  • john539
    terryw wrote: »
    Sorry but no. You did not buy the vehicle with a valid tax disc which you have lost.
    I don't know where the tax disc is & I don't know previous owner.

As far as I know it's lost.
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    john539 wrote: »
    I don't know where the tax disc is & I don't know previous owner.

As far as I know it's lost.

You bought the car at an auction. The tax disc was not include in the lot. Read the description and listen to the auctioneer

bw

terryw
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • john539
    terryw wrote: »
    You bought the car at an auction. The tax disc was not include in the lot. Read the description and listen to the auctioneer
    Auctioneer didn't mention tax disc.

If it's still taxed in 1-2 weeeks should I get the Duplicate tax disc ?

Would the auctioneer know or be interested, as the DVLA don't seem to be, they are only interested in who is the Registered Keeper.
  • Keith
    If the auctioneer didn't mention it, it's not included in the sale.

Think of it another way, say you get a duplicate, then the previous owner claims their rightful refund. I wonder if the DVLA will just shrug their shoulders about your fraudulent claim for a duplicate tax disc
  • john539
    Keith wrote: »
    If the auctioneer didn't mention it, it's not included in the sale.

Think of it another way, say you get a duplicate, then the previous owner claims their rightful refund. I wonder if the DVLA will just shrug their shoulders about your fraudulent claim for a duplicate tax disc
    You're reading too much into it.

The only knowledge I have of the tax disc is that the car is taxed & I dont have it.

I do not know where the previous tax disc is, whether the previous owner even has it & what they they intend to do with it.

The DVLA are only interested in who the Registered Keeper is.
  • Keith
    You've bought a car with no tax disc, yes?

I guess you've found out using vehicle enquiry that it is taxed, yes?

You did not purchase the tax which is currently shown against the vehicle, agree?

The former owner of the vehicle may be holding the original tax disc and plan to get a refund, they may not, they may have just thought stuff the dealer I'll keep the tax.

You then go ahead with your plan which from looking at the form you can't legally fill in. I'll draw your attention to the second line of A. Which reads "Your original"

The former owner then goes ahead and gets a refund.

The DVLA now have a shortfall in tax and either come after you or just cancel the duplicate disc making your vehicle on the road untaxed and you back on here when it is clamped.

But never mind, the DVLA are only interested in who the registered keeper is. Course they are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure