PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

seller messing around

Hello again,
Finally we are coming close to exchange the contract.
When we put an offer, I asked agent specifically if seller is in any chain? He said no they are happy to move to rented accommodation / family members if needed.
Now seller took months to give all the document. I believe this was delaying tactics to find thieir next home. seller or their solicitor took weeks to acknowledge let alone answer any question.
Now they have their next place sorted , they are putting pressure on us to exchange the contract now so they book removals and then complete the contract.

I told my solicitor that I want keys within 24 hours of exchanging the contract and want to see the property before exchanging the contract as I heard horrible stories where seller leaves the house in mess or not leaving in clean state. If they are buying new house their focus will be on their new house and the one they are selling.

Usually I am not a difficult person but they have taken me for a ride so far. everything that was told or agreed at the time of offer is turning out to be opposite.

Just wondering what are your views?

S

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You are having a laugh.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2016 at 7:45AM
    Annoying that they told you they were chain free and then weren't. However how are they messing you around now? Why aren't you ready to exchange if they were the ones delaying? Taking weeks for enquiries to go back and forth isn't unusual.

You don't get the keys until completion so why are you demanding them 24 hours after exchange? Fine go and view the property before exchange as that's sensible but if they aren't refusing then what's the problem?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    Do yourself a favour and assume that you're going to need to do a deep clean as soon as you move in.

Because I'm telling you now, you have unrealistic expectations.
  • Yes I know that I will get the keys once the contract is complete and thats why I want to exchange and complete on same day. I don't want to wait for week(s).
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    Avoid that if you possibly can, and if you must, don't do it on a Friday.

Some conveyancers charge extra for same day completion.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2016 at 11:31PM
    If you aren't usually unreasonable then don't be now.

I've never seem a situation where imposing demands for the sake of it has worked better than being co-operative.

They are nowhere near the first or the last to have suggested renting, but the cold, harsh reality of moving twice is a cold, harsh reality! Whatever you perceive of their behaviour does not demand that you behave in a similar manner.

You're never going to control the condition a vendor leaves a house in. I wouldn't bother trying. You're more likely to get a clean house if you're nice though!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2016 at 12:15AM
    Exchanging and Completing same day is VERY stressful, and very unpredictable. No one knows if it will hapen, or be delayed, or cancelled, until midday on the day itself.

and then they all have to suddenly move!

No one can book removals or book a day off work etc as it is so uncertain.

Completing on a Friday is also stressful as so many people do it. Solicitors ae working flat-out, removal companies are all booked up, and if there's a delay, it cannot be sorted out the next day - you have to wait till Monday.

An inspection just before Exchange is sensible. Insist on it.

Get some quotes in advance, and as soon as you Exchange, book a cleaner for the day following Completion .

Are you good at DIY? If not, locate a local handyman so you can get little things fixed/painted as soon as you move in. Remember to have a new lock ready, and fix it asap.

There WILL be holes in the walls where their pictures were; and faded paintwork; there WILL be marks on the carpets where the furniture was; the kitchen WILL be filthy where they took out the washing machine (watch out for the missing plumbing under the sink!); the floors WILL need cleaning, and (I don't know why) there WILL be a strange smell........

Buying/selling property ALWAYS

* takes longer than you expect
    * takes longer than you want
    * causes stress and aggravation

The best lesson you can learn is patience.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 7:46AM
    Kynthia wrote: »
    Annoying that thry told you tgey were child free and then weren't. However how are tgry messing you around now? Why aren't you ready to exchange if they were the ones delaying? Taking weeks for enquiries to go back and forth isn't unusual.

You don't get the keys until completion so why are you demanding them 24 hours after exchange? Fine go and view the property before exchange as that's sensible but if they aren't refusing then what's the problem?

They said they were "chain free". Didnt see any mention of child free:rotfl:

I can sympathise with OP and I would be inclined to start "firing broadsides" because of having been told a pack of lies about that. First reaction to "EA says they're happy to rent or live with relatives" being = "Here we go - another vendor telling that particular lie. So many of them seem to do so that I wonder why anyone believes that one these days".

Personally - I wouldnt bite off my nose to spite my face by demanding a very short timespan between Exchange and Completion. I would just keep an eye on the lying little toerags generally from here on in - and make doubly sure everything they "said" to me was in writing. Check that legal questionnaire they have to fill in with a sceptical eye - in case they tell any further lies.

Also - I think buyers should be reasonable about how many viewings they put vendors through normally. But - with the vendors having put you out so with their lying - then ask for however many viewings you want with a clear conscience - as they "owe you one" because of that.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    They said they were "chain free". Didnt see any mention of child free:rotfl:
    I didn't even see any explicit mention of a chain - nor any of whether any chain (if one exists) has actually caused any problems.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Argh the auto correct on my phone drives me made!

OP if they live on the property and are moving on completion day then they'd be crazy to agree to exchange and complete on the same day. Exchange often doesn't happen at the last second and that can happen on more than one occasion due to something not being completely ready in the chain. Add to that also trying to exchange all the money up along each solicitor, from bank to bank, when they started later in the day due to doing the exchange first. There's a higher chance of time running out and completion funds not reaching the end if the chain. Imagine people have booked time off work, paid for removals firms, and have spent all morning putting all their possessions in the trucks. They're about to set off and find out exchange didn't happen and have to unload and rebook everything for another day but still pay the removals firm. Imagine this happening more than once, or even make it as far as sitting outside their new house having exchanged but then finding out completion monies weren't received so now need to pay for a hotel and overnight storage of their belongings.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport