Direct Line auto-renewal shocker

I have been with Direct Line for about 15 yrs.
I am over 50, 9 yrs no claim, drive a cheap 1.0 litre car worth about £1.5k, and live in a low crime area. My insurance is 3rd party only.

Each year I auto-renew and the premiums climb steadily each year. Current auto-renewal quote is £307.

I got a shock when I went on the DL web site, entered my details and got a quote for £157. For comprehensive cover!

Planning to phone DL and haggle. But can't get through at the moment. Their callback system said 2-5 mins. It is now nearly an hour.

Comments

• mike004 wrote: »
    I have been with Direct Line for about 15 yrs.

So you have been over paying for your car insurance for the last 14 years?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    So you have been over paying for your car insurance for the last 14 years?

Better late than Never I guess to reduce it
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • mike004
    mike004 Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I expect DL will say that the web quote is for new customers only who apply via the web site.
    Must phone them once again, maybe someone is in...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My insurance is 3rd party only.

That is part of your problem. There are so few people buying 3rd party nowadays that the cross subsidy pool is so low that its actually cheaper in most cases to buy comprehensive.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mike004
    mike004 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Just back from haggling...
    £268 comp
    £251 3rd party

Still way over the web quote (£157).
    Might be best to terminate the current policy. Then sign up as a new customer via the web!
    Loyalty does not pay in this game, it seems.
  • mattk_180
    mattk_180 Posts: 375 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    That is part of your problem. There are so few people buying 3rd party nowadays that the cross subsidy pool is so low that its actually cheaper in most cases to buy comprehensive.

This.

And the fact that out of the few people buying third party, most do so because they are high risk so you are putting yourself in a higher rated pool.

I'd look around and cancel/restart if necessary. I'd certainly query as to why their online quote is a lot lower though, even just out of curiosity as to what they come up with.
  • dauphin
    dauphin Posts: 195 Forumite
    OP, if you are shocked to find that loyalty does not pay, or that comprehensive can often be cheaper than 3rd party, I would suggest you read the guide to cheaper car insurance on the main MSE site.
    I don't understand why you still seem bent on carrying on with Direct Line. You don't mention whether you have tried the comparison sites either now or over the past 15 years, but it would make obvious sense to find out what other insurers can offer.
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    I've been a DL customer for a few years now, when I renew I always do it over the phone and they always match the web site price as they can see it on their system.

But to be fair last year the renewal quote was a few pounds cheaper than the web site.
  • OP, if you are shocked to find that loyalty does not pay, or that comprehensive can often be cheaper than 3rd party, I would suggest you read the guide to cheaper car insurance on the main MSE site.

I don't understand why you still seem bent on carrying on with Direct Line. You don't mention whether you have tried the comparison sites either now or over the past 15 years, but it would make obvious sense to find out what other insurers can offer.

Agree with Dauphin. ^^^ Don't know about other Insurance companies, but Direct Line don't give a stuff about 'loyalty.' My oldest sister and the second from oldest were both with them for 10-13 years for their pets, their contents cover, their car insurance, and their breakdown cover. 3 years ago, they both got quotes for their car insurance for around £55-60, after being a third less the year before. (Same as OP; been with them over a decade, both middle aged, no claims etc...)

There was no reason for this rise at all. And when they asked why it had gone up from £38 to £55/56, they said 'that's just the price this year.' They tried haggling too, but the best Direct Line would offer was 3 to 4 pounds off each. They both said 'I will leave then,' and Direct Line basically said 'bye then!' So they moved to another company, and the car insurance dropped by half.

I hope Direct Line go under, because they don't give a stuff about their loyal customers, and deserve to lose ALL their custom IMO.
    cooeeeeeeeee :j :wave:
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

I hope Direct Line go under, because they don't give a stuff about their loyal customers, and deserve to lose ALL their custom IMO.

Please enlighten us as to which insurers do give a stuff about loyal customers. I'm guessing it'll be a very short list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure