EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure?

Comments

• Plush
    Plush Posts: 95 Forumite

A photo project I'm currently working on will have some cost associated with it in a week or so as I'm putting together a gift for someone that will need to be ordered. That'll come straight from my "presents" budget though and I will be searching around for codes ahead of ordering to reduce the cost as much as possible.

Hey, are you into photography? I am too... sort of. I'm a beginner and I don't have a proper camera but I really like taking photos so I joined a photo meetup. I have not managed to go out with them yet, due to lack of time, and they seem a bit too proud of their gear so to speak, even though most are beginner-ish.
    current credit debt Jan-2018 £12000 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Plush I LOVE my photography - it's my main hobby really. There are certainly some camera clubs and similar out there where the members can be a bit snooty about kit - personally my view is that if it's a good photo, it's a good photo regardless of what it was taken with, it's just having more ("better" for want of another way of putting it) kit gives you more scope for the kind of photos you can take. If you're interested to see the sort of stuff I do have a look at "photozone72" on flickr or Facebook, or my username on Twitter is the same as on here. You'll find aircraft feature quite heavily...particularly Little Red ones! :p

I use my phone a LOT for photos on the go - generally speaking the heavy stuff comes out when I'm going somewhere specific. :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Plush
    Plush Posts: 95 Forumite
    wow, you've got a ton of aviation photos! you must have good lenses, judging by your flickr wildlife photos - those are taken with long telephoto lenses, no?
    current credit debt Jan-2018 £12000 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200
  • Plush wrote: »
    wow, you've got a ton of aviation photos! you must have good lenses, judging by your flickr wildlife photos - those are taken with long telephoto lenses, no?

Haha yes, aviation is my main "thing" - that's where the majority of my weekends during the summer months go! The most recent (last few weeks) wildlife stuff has been with my new "baby" - canon 100-400mm lens with a 1.4x converter attached - an absolute dream of a combination and one I'm seriously glad I saved to purchase! that sits on a 7D mark 2 - the very camera it was designed by canon to work best with. I've also got an 80D which mostly gets used with a shorter (cheaper!) Sigma zoom. I freely confess that one of the main driving forces for me wanting to be debt/mortgage free was to enable me to save for camera kit! :o:rotfl:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • Morning all....or actually afternoon as it will be by the time I post this!

All ticking over here. I'll need to look at the CC payments in the next few days as we've reached the end of the statement month. Quite a chunk of that will be mind to pay for the clothes I've had to get - but I'm hoping that as much as possible of that can come from my current account.

Purse currently has £12 in it (I used the card at the gym last night as planned) and I will need to visit the cashpoint either later today or tomorrow so I've got enough for my admission at speedway tomorrow. Will also need to remember to grab myself a sandwich deal or something on the way up so I have food - and probably something as a snack for the way home too as I'll end up eating quite early I think.

Need to decide when to shop this week - might be tomorrow but might end up being on saturday - I'll see how things go. In any case I need a meal plan and a list ahead of going. Also need to check the fridge/larder & my journal to see what needs using up - the last potatoes and the remaining onions from the YS'd bag...and those eggs although I think I've offered MrEH an incentive to use those tomorrow...by suggesting we get takeaway on Saturday! :rotfl: (Works for me as well, that, as means he doesn't get tempted to linger *quite* as long at the club after rugby!) Might have enough carrots for soup for my lunch tomorrow or saturday if I add some red lentils to bulk it out - I know those carrots need used, they're just beginning to show hints of bendyness!

Risotto tonight - butternut squash and the rest of the roasted veg. That will also use up the last of the mushrooms in the fridge plus one of the onions. Might just reheat the roasted veg and throw that on top rather than mixing it in - there;s a fair bit of beetroot in there so if I mix it in I'll end up with pink risotto! :rotfl:

One thing I did discover the other day was that MrT's online prices and their instore ones don't always match up - an offer which was showing online both on their own site AND on MySupermarket didn't ring through on the till - and wasn't displayed on the shelf-edge - one for anyone who plans their shop/.spend online but visits a store for the purchasing to bear in mind.

Al's Super 6 looks good this week and as long as the produce is British I can see me buying most of that! I see Lil's are 4p cheaper on the Onions and the carrots, but I'd use more than that in fuel getting over there (ours is on the other side of town) so I'll almost certainly stick with a walk to Al's tomorrow morning. :T
    she/her
  • Oh reminds me to go check out what the Al's and L's offers are. I always forget!

I have some bendy carrots too, and 6 sausages I need to use today :cool: yet I'm still sat here :rotfl:

I've never tried risotto. I googled and it looks like something the older two smalls would like. I just keep pinching your food plans :o :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,181 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Yes, ta for reminder on Aldi super 6.
    Think parsnips is one.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.

• One thing I did discover the other day was that MrT's online prices and their instore ones don't always match up - an offer which was showing online both on their own site AND on MySupermarket didn't ring through on the till - and wasn't displayed on the shelf-edge - one for anyone who plans their shop/.spend online but visits a store for the purchasing to bear in mind.

Had that EXACT thing happen to us in mrT today. I had carefully planned a shop (using mysupermerkat) to use up a £4 discount off a £30 shop. And had selected their own brand olive spread, as it was supposed to be 2 x 1kg for £3. No shelf edge label to indicate discount. I was lucky to get a helpful assistant who went off to check at the till for me, and the product was showing up as on offer. Absolutely no indication on the SEL though.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • I've never tried risotto. I googled and it looks like something the older two smalls would like. I just keep pinching your food plans :o :rotfl:

They do look like such great food plans to pinch! I'm quite a fan of a risotto :)
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,181 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I love courgette risotto :drool:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback