Compulsory Smart Meters.

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    slinga wrote: »
    Bloke from TOTO came around yesterday saying they'd fit a Smart meter for free etc

For reasons given elsewhere in this thread and forum... if possible you would be better off declining their offer and wait for Smets2 meters to be available. You have a choice, and need to consider whether there is any benefit to you personally of having a smart meter.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    EachPenny wrote: »
    For reasons given elsewhere in this thread and forum... if possible you would be better off declining their offer and wait for Smets2 meters to be available. You have a choice, and need to consider whether there is any benefit to you personally of having a smart meter.
    Oh there is a benefit, for reasons I won't go into but where do I find the fitting requirements.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh there is a benefit, for reasons I won't go into but where do I find the fitting requirements.

You don't need to know anything about the requirements, the energy company will sort everything out for you and you'll have a nice fully working smart meter without having to worry about a thing. Possibly. :D

I think I might just have seen a flying pig, but it is raining too hard to see outside clearly. ;)

Slightly more seriously, if they can fit a meter they will worry about all the details. You don't have to provide a socket near the meter and it won't have any impact on your phone line. If they cannot fit a smart meter there is very little you can do about it. If that means not being able to user your supplier of choice then you may just have to accept it. From what I understand, you won't know whether a smart meter will work in your home until someone actually tries to fit one.
  • slinga
    From what I understand, you won't know whether a smart meter will work in your home until someone actually tries to fit one.
    So nobody on here who has had a Smart meter fitted and knows exactly what is required and how they exactly work.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My gas and elec meters are under the stairs well away from any phone line or elec sockets.

I can't find any details of fitting requirements on line either.

Is an elec socket required in close proximity? I know there is obviously an elec supply through the meter itself.

And I think I understand that the meter readings are sent to the supplier directly from the meters through something like a phone signal and do not require access to a phone line.
    The meters don't need any electric sockets nor a phone line, and there is no standard 'fitting requirement' for smart meters. As long as you don't have a non-standard wiring/meter set-up, and they can get a mobile phone signal for the meter, they will install them.
  • slinga
    mac.d wrote: »
    The meters don't need any electric sockets nor a phone line, and there is no standard 'fitting requirement' for smart meters. As long as you don't have a non-standard wiring/meter set-up, and they can get a mobile phone signal for the meter, they will install them.
    Thanks.
    Any size limitations because it's very cramped under my stairs.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If my job was writing the Conservative party manifesto then rather than the pointless and counterproductive price cap I would have promised to introduce a national power company offering basic tariffs (as a safety net) in competition with the private sector. This would have been a far more popular initiative with some voters, whilst ensuring those that benefit from privatised competition can still do so. It would also have created a new nationally owned asset ready for privatisation in a few year's time... but that's another story ;)
    It's in the Labour manifesto, so maybe you should switch side. ;)
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    They could but only foolish are going to vote for the unelectable, whole election was called because it was a free lunch, virtually guaranteed to extend ConGov for 5 more years.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    lstar337 wrote: »
    It's in the Labour manifesto, so maybe you should switch side. ;)

Damn! That's another idea they have stolen off me ;) Although what I saw in the news only mentioned the grid rather than the supply side, so excuse my failure to keep up to date. :)

The only side I'm on would be the Monster Raving Loonies... I would happily stand for them on a ticket of free gas and electric for everybody, except for anyone earning over £100k a year. :D
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    They could but only foolish are going to vote for the unelectable, whole election was called because it was a free lunch, virtually guaranteed to extend ConGov for 5 more years.
    Been reading the biased press have we? ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure