PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    kittie wrote: »
    I have beetroots and cannot make myself like them in salads, so am cooking the lot and will freeze in approx 125g packets for beetroot/chocolate cake. Plenty of recipes on the net. I`ll be having my cake and eating it. Got to be honest, I much prefer my own hm cake

Farway, I have 2 fallen bramleys to stew, tomorrow, done enough today. I also love them with yoghurt

That CBA file farway. I have a daily to do` list maker from sainsburys. sometimes I put stuff in there that I have already done, for the feel-good factor
    Roasted beetroot dip with horseradish is really nice as is beetroot hummus:)
    Farway wrote: »
    I have found pizza in boxes are stupidly over packaged, all cardboard and no pizza. I stopped buying them for that reason and now only buy the cheap little ones in see through cellophane

I always take pizza out of the box before putting in the freezer to save space. Most are wrapped inside the box or if not I just wrap them in clingfilm :cool:
    Thought I'd better be a bit more conscious of things like oil - as last time I had my cholesterol measured it had gone from British average of around 5 up to skyhigh of around 9 for some reason.:eek:. So - eggs are out and I guess will be pretty much so when I've lost the excess weight and cheese will have to be minimal (ditto - even when....) and oil is a virtual no-no all along too. Been following the idea of doing any roasted vegetables I do in the oven put into a roasting tin on top of a sheet of parchment paper and, at most, only doing a couple of cautious squirts of spray oil on it and that cuts back on it some more.

New ceramic saucepans working well at using just a cautious squirt or two of spray oil on them (rather than tablespoons worth) or a little bit of vegetable stock. So, thankfully, they turned into a worthwhile investment.:)

Thinking about having another go at some radicchio grown in my garden as part of dinner tonight. This time - think I'll try it grilled both sides for a few minutes drizzled with balsamic vinegar (won't be repeating the pomegranite molasses experiment with it).

I can feel dinner is likely to be pretty CBA level again - to date looks like it will be that radicchio, the last of that packet of salad, the last (yet again) of the sorta Caesar dressing and some new-boiled potatoes (wondering what to have with them - rather than lashings of butter - as I've been used to....:().
    I thought they had decided that eggs, oil etc. had no impact on blood cholesterol levels. Re the new spuds, once boiled if you spray with a little oil then bake for 10 mins or so they are lovely.:)

Good afternoon everyone,

After some early morning sunshine it's turned into a cold and miserable day:(. The fish stew last night was lovely but filling so the crumble didn't get touched. I didn't eat all of mine so LOs were had on toast for a slightly random but tasty breakfast. Lunch was a cupasoup with some of my dried wrap pieces and cottage cheese. I'm not CFO tonight and we are having rose veal steaks with new spuds, various veg and peppercorn sauce. Crumble may or may not follow for pudding:D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    SamsReturn wrote: »
    I hardly ever put anything in the freezer in the box it came in, they take up to much room. I save all my cereal bags, 'cos they're waxy, and wrap things in them.

In a way, retaining the boxes ensures I don't over-fill the freezer ... with food that's not instantly recognisable. Keeping it in the boxes means you don't forget what it is, or overlook it .... and you have to eat things because the freezer's getting full :)

I do take some things out ... I was finding the hash browns in their bag were awkward in the drawer (size/shape), so I did put those into (three) plastic takeaway boxes... which can then be slotted all over the drawer and moved easily - but I can instantly see what they are in a see through box. Trouble is, I can't eat them at the moment as I've not bought any eggs for awhile, or sausages... and if I'm cooking a cooked breakfast I'd prefer there to be a minimum of three items on the plate and not just hash browns and beans :)

I'll have to buy eggs soon ... to use up some of the hash browns.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    'Morning all

Up and about, sun's out, as is the washing

No breakfast because off out for a stroll along the prom prom tiddly om pom pom and will probably finish up in a cafe along the front, there is one I have in mind, but could be bunged up with kids so may have to skip the egg Benedict learly lunch late breakfast

Dinner I think will be yet more meat loaf, but sliced & fried, with chips, and that is as far as my imagine takes me at this time of the morning
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Farway wrote: »
    No breakfast because off out for a stroll along the prom prom tiddly om pom pom and will probably finish up in a cafe along the front, there is one I have in mind, but could be bunged up with kids so may have to skip the egg Benedict learly lunch late breakfast
    Enjoy your walk. I hope that the cafe isn't full of children and you get your egg Benedict, I love eggs Benedict, it has made me crave it, lucky I've just had breakfast :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning all,

I've had one of my usual breakfast choices of Greek yoghurt and berries. I will need to go to Aldi this week to top up the yoghurt stocks. I need to go there before Thursday when their offer on the big daddy steak starts because I have read that Aldi gets really busy when that offer is on and Thursday is when it starts.

Lunch will be a chicken salad and new potatoes. I'm going to my brother's after lunch for afternoon tea. They are having a family gathering to celebrate my nephew's exam results.

I will get well fed there so apart from putting the salad together all I have to cook today is some potatoes :).
  • Caron's idea re potatoes was a part of dinner last night - so duly boiled some new potatoes (trans. in my household = steamed) and then stuck in oven for around 10 minutes with just a very cautious bit of spray oil on them and a generous grind of salt.

Yep....I ate rather more of them than I'd planned on:) and reckon I'll do that again sometime.

Think I may have discovered the way to do my radicchio now too - duly grilled a few minutes both sides with balsamic vinegar. Now that was more like it...
  • caronc
    MTsM - I find new spuds very hard to resist they just seem to disappear;)

That's me back to CFO - well until tomorrow when "the girls" are coming round with a takeaway:).

Breakfast was a few spoons of cottage cheese and lunch will be naughty lorne sausage, tattie scone and fried egg with some HP. I still plan to make the turkey mince "kievs" later so will probably have a baked spud and some steamed runner beans with that:).
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yesterday I ate the WHOLE pizza and the WHOLE cheesecake (375g).

Oh well ... that happens sometimes doesn't it.

Today, out car booting, came home and made myself a burger in a bun with chips, all from the freezer. Splash of ketchup. Those burgers are still as tasty as ever... not tiring of them yet.

Bought some "favourite choccies" and a 6-pack of crisps.... so been munching those in the last hour or so too.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Back from promenading, my feet ache a bit now. Alas the egg Benedict was a no show, the sea front area is getting ready for a big music festival on the Bank Holiday, so all a bit too busy really. Finished up in Pret a Manger, cheesy pickley baguette, but TBH better than I would make, roasted tomatoes etc inside

However there was also a Farmers' Market and dinner is now a black hog pie, with oven chips & probably baked beans. The pie is a bit too large for one, but too small for two so looks like I will, literally, be pigging it

Also bought a super looking cheese and something or other scone, which is pud sorted and me bloated

Possibly do it all again tomorrow in Winchester with the grandchildren

Back in time to get the washing in, now clouding over. I spotted the raspberries are ripe & ready, may just get round to a porridge, berry & yoghurt meal soon

Also spotted some ripe figs, so ripe they are bursting with lusciousness. I had 3 there and then, sweet as sugar & warmed in the sun.

Here they are
    Fig-_Aug-2017.jpg
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Beautiful figs Farway - the fruit from your garden always look gorgeous:D

Still toying with what to stuff my "kievs" with either garlic/herb cream cheese or a sundried tom, roast pepper and mozarella filling, I'll decide in a bit. More runners were ready so I definitely need to have some of these tonight:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure