NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June

Options

Comments

• lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    Hi LCC86, nice to see you on here, I saw you on the debt free wannabe thread and had my concerns, I hope all is well.

Please count me in, I was a relatively regular NST during the later part of 2016 but lost my way on here this year, I hope you will let me give being an NST another chance.

I don't really do 'budgets' other than the household/grocery shopping as I am doing a No Spend Year (so I have already rejected consumerism) and for me I have a small disposable income a month for things I have allowed myself to buy/spend money on, so as long as I don't go over that I am effectively 'in budget'

I would like to aim for 15 NSDs.

Hi Florence, hope all is well. No need to be concerned, I just splurged a little as it was my birthday but then at the end of the month realised I'd overspent, and also had to have an emergency windscreen replacement, so it all just prompted me to remember I still need to watch my spends! So trying to be extra thrifty in June! ;)
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,805 as of 04/24
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Count me in please.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Me too please :)
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I join again. Last month started off well but well but fell away completely towards the end (apart from the food budget).
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    apple - thanks so much for stepping up to run this thread last minute. Can I join in the fun and have no 13 pretty please x
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 May 2017 at 10:30AM
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »

I don't really do 'budgets' other than the household/grocery shopping as I am doing a No Spend Year (so I have already rejected consumerism) and for me I have a small disposable income a month for things I have allowed myself to buy/spend money on, so as long as I don't go over that I am effectively 'in budget'

I would like to aim for 15 NSDs.

That sounds intriguing. So what do you not spend on this year. I guess you don't have a car (or is this in household and bills). Do you make all your presents, do you have a stash of stuff to make them from. No holidays ?, days out? (although I guess they can be free). Just wondering what you include and if I could take sth on as a wee challenge too.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 May 2017 at 10:48AM
    Options
    That sounds intriguing. So what do you not spend on this year. I guess you don't have a car (or is this in household and bills). Do you make all your presents, do you have a stash of stuff to make them from. No holidays ?, days out? (although I guess they can be free). Just wondering what you include and if I could take sth on as a wee challenge too.

Hi there, thanks for asking. I have been inspired by people like Judith Levine, Alexis Hall and the recent person you might have heard of Michelle McGagh, and each of them have done a No Spend Year differently, and mine is different to their's.

I am allowed to buy/spend on food (within the budget), alcohol (within the food budget), household bills such as broadband, energy, rent, council tax, tv license, water and a wwe netflix type subscription service.

I am also allowed to buy my train season ticket to work.

In terms of my 'disposable income' I can spend on the following categories:

Travel Day to Day - My main rule for this is the journey has to either be impossible to get to without going on the train or bus, or it is raining cats and dogs, or I am going to be late for work if I don't get the bus.

Travel Visiting - train fare costs to visit friends and family

Gifts - i am allowed to buy gifts for people, but am encouraged to use vouchers I earn where possible

Postage and Packaging - Posting gifts, stamps, etc.

Social - I have decided I want to experience life more, so am allowed to spend money on going out with friends or my boyfriend

Home - I am allowed to buy ESSENTIAL homeware, such as if something breaks. I cannot buy decorative mugs, which I have a weakness for.

Essentially I am not buying CDs, Clothes, Books, DVDs, 'Solo food and drink' (So i can't buy a takeaway coffee or food if I am on my own), and pretty much anything else that doesn't fall into the above categories. I am however allowed to buy essential purchases with vouchers. But I cannot spend any money on them, so the vouchers would have to cover all the costs.

I have decided to do this to tackle my debts faster and because even though last year I was mostly good with my shopping habits I did buy things and as a result I couldn't afford to hang out with my friends. I want to see my friends this year as I was a bit of a recluse last year.

It has actually been pretty easy and I am considering carrying on like this until I clear my debts, which my target for is March 2019.

Ooops, forgot to add, I don't drive, or have kids, or have a mortgage so I'll admit this might be easier for me then other people.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in. No debt, but no income as of 10am. Not sure I'll be paid for the last 3 weeks work.

I need to re-budget. I should be fine for this month as I haven't yet done an extra sweep into savings which I do on the final day. DH will pay his half of the bills and I have rental income until August. So need to budget 1/3 of normal income until end of August. Then into savings. It's doable.

Fitness wise I'll have all the time in the world! Around job hunting.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Count me in please! I am aiming for 20 NSDS a lot but I am on a shockingly tight budget. I aim for five half an hour exercises. I aim weighing in at 11stone 8 and would like to ideal be in the next stone bracket by July. I dont have the kids living with me at the moment so I have been relying on junk and stuff to feed me and its not healthy enough.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Florence J - a No Spend Year! Wow! How is it going? Has your mindset changed much?

mothernerd - sorry everything is overwhelming you at the mo. Have you sorted out your meds yet? How is it going with ds + gf + chinchillas? How is your mum? You are exempt from the exercise part of the challenge, unless you feel able to do some. (no one else is though - they'll end up of the naughty running machine thisamonth - the chaise long has had a makeover...)

FullyBeastOz - gulp! You obviously felt it was the only option, so total respect goes to you. Start picking up those pennies form the floor!

Several have confessed to going a little off piste recently. But no turtle gets left behind or rejected, so hop back on the bandwagon to fitness and freedom!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure