Santas challenge 2017

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I bought one of these today for MIL for Xmas.
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231907935840

She's hard to buy for (different tastes) but she likes to travel, so I thought a travel wallet would be a nice idea. If I'm honest, I'm not very impressed with it, but I hope MIL likes it.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    chanie wrote: »
    I bought one of these today for MIL for Xmas.
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231907935840

She's hard to buy for (different tastes) but she likes to travel, so I thought a travel wallet would be a nice idea. If I'm honest, I'm not very impressed with it, but I hope MIL likes it.
    It looks nice, mines been everywhere bet she'll love it xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • chanie
    mum2one I have a travel wallet, but it's not big enough for a family of 4!!! I bought mine about 12 years ago and it cost £60+ which was a lot of money to me at the time, so I ended up returning it. A couple of months later, I got to go on my first and last work trip overseas. Lo and behold, the travel wallet was in duty free and I snapped it up.

I want to get my mum one, but I haven't seen any I think she would like.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Another item that frequent fliers might like is a luggage strap with name woven thro. If you have standard coloured cases it makes it so much easier to spot your own case on the carousel!

My best travel story regarding this is when I was in Harare many years ago and my return flight got changed to an earlier one. When I asked about my case they said- oh it will get to London (later!) So I insisted it was relabelled for the earlier flight and had to go thro to the secure luggage hall and identify my case from all those stacked up on the metal cages. They weren't convinced I would find the case but I insisted saying it was clearly labelled with named strap....... easy peasy.

Here's one supplier: (discount for more than one- can be different names- and if you don't want full name you can always use initials and surname)
    https://www.able-labels.co.uk/personalised-luggage-strap.html
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    I love the luggage strap, my friend brought one each for me and miss hoodie at Xmas, great esp if u have plain suitcases xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • chanie
    Katiehound wrote: »
    My best travel story regarding this is when I was in Harare many years ago and my return flight got changed to an earlier one. When I asked about my case they said- oh it will get to London (later!) So I insisted it was relabelled for the earlier flight and had to go thro to the secure luggage hall and identify my case from all those stacked up on the metal cages. They weren't convinced I would find the case but I insisted saying it was clearly labelled with named strap....... easy peasy.

That's a great story, Katie. I've always wondered what happens to your suitcase when you put it on the conveyor belt. You've got to see behind the scenes!!!

Thanks for the suggestion about the luggage belts. I did look at getting some last Xmas, but I can't remember why I didn't.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 February 2017 at 11:15PM
    chanie wrote: »
    That's a great story, Katie. I've always wondered what happens to your suitcase when you put it on the conveyor belt. You've got to see behind the scenes!!!

As you realise this was quite a while ago- when cases were allowed to go on a different flight! Probably the cases there didn't go on a conveyor belt at all- think cheap man handling!!

It was the time when I realised you got what you paid for as far as flights are concerned- never again. Think experience with a capital E. Flight was with Balkanair- London, Sofia, Valetta, Lagos, Harare......... only time I have been to Lagos!! hey, but that's another story. (Goes with the one when I wandered off into the bush ,lion country, with only a camera ,at dusk...also never again.)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • chanie
    Katiehound wrote: »

It was the time when I realised you got what you paid for as far as flights are concerned- never again. Think experience with a capital E. Flight was with Balkanair- London, Sophia, Valetta, Lagos, Harare......... only time I have been to Lagos!! hey, but that's another story. (Goes with the one when I wandered off into the bush ,lion country, with only a camera ,at dusk...also never again.)

That sounds like another interesting story. I'll think I'll wait for the right moment to ask you about!!
  • I am so going to get some of those luggage belts for presents, including one for my brother with 'grumpy chops' on it:)
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • chanie
    Sainsburys 25% off clothing has started today.

I buy underwear and socks for my children which I put away until September (new school year).

Check out the accessories, as these are often reduced. I bought a Star Wars keyring for my sons stocking - a new Star Wars film is due to be released at Xmas, so Star Wars will be quite 'big' in December 2017. They also had hair accessories and hair brushes that were reduced to £1.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure