AXA pulling out of pet insurance

Kinski
Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
edited 7 February 2014 at 4:12PM in Pets & pet care
Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google, our fully researched Pet Insurance guide may be helpful.

Back to the original post...

I've just been told that Axa will after early next year no longer be doing pet insurance, I've called them and they have said that clients will be offered policies with someone else and they will write to us near the renewal time of our policies. Both my dogs are insured with AXA and I've claimed for both of them, Ellie my Bichon cost me approx £135 last year this year I had to pay £301 :mad: now I know why.
http://www.axa.co.uk/insurance/personal/pet/

Comments

• walwin
    walwin Posts: 8,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm really annoyed by this.
    My cat is 14 so I'll struggle to find a decent company to insure her even though I've never made a claim :mad:
  • con1888
    con1888 Posts: 1,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :( I have Logan with AXA, found them to be the best in that price range. Have never had to claim
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I phone the ombudsman and they've said they can do this, I thought the banks that tried it last year were told they had to honour life cover for existing customers ( I could be wrong though ).
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh no. I had a feeling they might do this when they made the pet insurance part of the website very minimal and stopped doing a freephone line :undecided Fortunately Kiki's medical condition is a fairly cheap one to cover myself if I needed to, and Casper has no claims, so we'll see what happens when their policies run out next year..
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 24 July 2013 at 5:13PM
    Oh my god am not happy about this :(
    Bang goes my advice to go with an insurer because they are less likely than a bank to pull out.
    First HSBC, now AXA, how long before my next provider pulls out :mad:
    My cat is 8 and I can't afford for PetPlan to start charging a % of bill within a few years so I guess it'll be Argos Platinum or whoever AXA offer.
    Maybe I should switch now while she has no pre-existing conditions because my AXA renewal has just been done so looking at another year.
    I did wonder why my premium jumped £3pm although I put it down to age. Previously rises have been around £1pm.
  • Nereis
    Nereis Posts: 51 Forumite
    I have literally just renewed with AXA, am I now tied into this for a year? Just thinking if they're not going to exist next year it makes the cover almost useless because if I claim on it I won't be able to get cover that includes the condition I claimed for. I'd rather move to Petplan now.
  • Please can people give me advice. I have two dogs who I have had from a puppy. One is now 3 I have claimed on his axa insurance for previous things but nothing that is pre existing etc. I have another one who turns two next month in his first yr of insurance with axa he wqs diagnosed with severe hip dysplacia in both back legs, elbow dysplacia in both front legs and couple of months ago dodgy wrists. In the future to fix his wrists alone if they need doing are going to cost 7k. How do i fight this I need this lifetime cover?
  • This is going to wreck our lives. they shouldnt be allowed to do this
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Gutted too :mad:

I have recommended them too never thought such a big company like that who underwrite their own policies would pull out it's disgusting.

It really does now look like Petplan is the only safe place to go.
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Please can people give me advice. I have two dogs who I have had from a puppy. One is now 3 I have claimed on his axa insurance for previous things but nothing that is pre existing etc. I have another one who turns two next month in his first yr of insurance with axa he wqs diagnosed with severe hip dysplacia in both back legs, elbow dysplacia in both front legs and couple of months ago dodgy wrists. In the future to fix his wrists alone if they need doing are going to cost 7k. How do i fight this I need this lifetime cover?

Try not to stress out too much. I've had a quick look into it so far because my dog has a condition covered by AXA.

It looks like there could be a couple of potential outcomes, potentially we need to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service with complaints about this - I imagine we'll have to wait and see what options AXA provide us customers with when our policies run out though.

There was a previous thread on MSE from when Halifax withdrew from the insurance market and that issue got raised with the FOS. The outcome of that seemed to be that Halifax had to reinstate policies for customers with conditions covered by the insurance, so the dogs were covered for the remainder of their lives
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3507585

There is also a thread elsewhere from when Petguard withdrew as well. The outcome of that seemed to be slightly different - the FOS deemed Petguard to have missold their insurance as 'lifetime' and were in breach of this when they tried to end the policies at the end of that policy year. The FOS decided that Petguard had to cover bills for conditions diagnosed whilst their cover was in place, for the remainder of the dog's life. It looks like lots of owners on that particular thread decided to go for a full and final lump sum, to prevent Petguard disputing claims years down the line - so they calculated the estimated/average yearly cost of the condition, multiplied by the dog's estimated remaining lifespan, and presented this figure to Petguard as a full and final settlement. Petguard seemed to agree to most of them from the looks of it.
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?300467-petguard-insurance-problem&p=3357029

Hopefully more information will surface in the next few days, I've heard that AXA's own call centre haven't even been given the full information yet to give out to customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure