New boiler price?

Hi Guys

We had British gas come round for a quote as out boiler in our home we recently bought is quite old.

He was very honest and didn't try to sell to us but said there would be a few extras we would have to pay etc etc which totalled to £3,475. He said that he payed less himself for a boiler from a random person so was very honest.

He said the boiler was a very old one which was about 16 years old, he said he was shocked how loud it was and that it sounds like that was the fan which was loud and sounds like the fan was on its way out.

Is that a good price? we can also pay monthly if we wanted, the price is cheaper till end of this month as they have a half price offer on, its a decent brand boiler.

there was another option but would involve knocking a bit of a wall through and a chimney put above out conservatory.

Comments

• chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,388
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why would you want to pay £3500 to replace a working boiler? 16 years is getting on, but not 'very old'. If the fan's noisy, why not just get the faulty fan replaced for a couple of hundred pounds instead?
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Based on experience with BG in replacement of our own, parents' and in-laws' boilers in the last year or so, I would recommend you get quotes from three local independent installers, and make sure at least one of those is an accredited Worcester-Bosch installer.

Or get a similar person to replace the fan, as suggested above
  • I think there’s a general rule of thumb that whatever British Gas are quoting you can get it cheaper.

There’s a lot of variables - how big a boiler you need, what type, where it is located, your existing pipe work and how accessible it is etc. but I think £1.5-3k would cover the range of most typical combi boiler installs.

IIRC we paid about £1.9k for a new Baxi platinum 33 installed in the upstairs airing cupboard (old boiler was a conventional baxi underneath stairs) and this included removal of the old boiler, water tanks in the airing cupboard and loft, rerouting pipework and new flue, a system flush, magnetic cleaner and water filter and installing a new Nest thermostat (we didn’t have any thermostat before).

I’m lead to believe this was quite a cheap quote but he did a good job and the only issue we’ve had in two and a half years is a leak on the join to the water filter which was rectified very quickly by our installer. We also have a 10 year warranty on the boiler and he charges us £60 a year to service it.

Our next best quote was around £2300 I think.

I would definitely try and get some local recommendations and a few more quotes.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    British Gas will without doubt be the most expensive quote you get. I have seen a fair amount of their work too and quite a bit of it has been shocking. Get quotes from several independent tradesmen
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Another vote for questioning the need to replace a working boiler. Regardless of efficiency rating, the cost of a new boiler would buy you a lot of gas.

I've got an 18+ year-old Potterton, and have absolutely no plans to replace it. It's a great boiler - very reliable.
  • googler wrote: »
    make sure at least one of those is an accredited Worcester-Bosch installer.

Why ? There are better boilers for less money
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    BG may suggest that the fan is not available any longer so you need a new boiler. You will probably find that it is available, just not from the sources that they get their parts from. Try an indy to get and fit the fan.

I understand that the average lifespan of the newer boilers is a lot shorter than that of the older ones, so keep yours as long as you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure