Viagogo-cancelled event and refunds

I purchased some tickets a couple of months ago for an Andre Rieu concert taking place in the UK this week. The tickets were bought by me as a present for my mother and parents-in-law.

My parents-in-law are from overseas and so the event date is critical for us to be able to attend.

Unfortunately the tour has been cancelled but has been rescheduled for March 2017.

I got a nice email from Viagogo informing me of this and telling me they will not refund as the event wasn't cancelled but has been postponed instead.

Does anyone know what legal rights the buyer has under these circumstances ? I believe they may try to intimidate buyers by quoting clauses from their terms and conditions but the T's & C's still have to fall within consumer law (presumably).

What is considered a reasonable definition of "cancelled" anyway ? It's in their interest to say the concert has not been cancelled as a new date has been provided but if you purchase a ticket for the 22nd December 2016 and are then advised that that concert is not taking place on that date anymore then is that not a "cancellation" ???

I have also reported this to my credit card company for advice.

I wondered if anyone else has any advice...thanks :)
No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3

Comments

• I think unfortunately you've discovered one of the downfalls of buying from a re selling site. Although the official line from the organisers is you can get a refund if you can't make the rescheduled date I'm not sure that applies if you've bought the ticket 2nd hand.
    This guide might be worth a look but unfortunately doesn't look like viagogo is a member of the self regulatory body it mentions.
    Your only option might be to try and sell the tickets on again yourself.
  • spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 684
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2016 at 10:48AM
    Yes, the organisers are offering full refunds for anyone who cannot attend the rescheduled date but unfortunately I was unable to purchase directly from the organiser.

I await news from my credit card company but I think there are three options at the moment.

1/ I try to sell the tickets on and I price the tickets very competitively to reduce my loss although I may have to accept some loss.
    2/ I contact the seller to ask if they will accept a refund from the organiser and I will pay the difference.
    3/ The credit card company may decide that the "service" I paid for was not delivered and refund the transaction.

I'm just interested in a broader level how the definition of "cancellation" can be bent to favour the merchant.
  • Hey @spiritus, just had myself the same issue with VIagogo ... Did your CC company offer any solution?
  • spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 684
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    BP92 wrote: »
    Hey @spiritus, just had myself the same issue with VIagogo ... Did your CC company offer any solution?

They are disputing the transaction with Viagogo and have refunded the amount temporarily to my credit card.

I will probably contact the credit card company in a week or two for an update
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport