PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'Things to do when you move' Hunt

Comments

• blissbaby
    blissbaby Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2010 at 10:46AM
    Few tips -
    Register with your local Freecycle and ask for packing boxes, bubble wrap, etc - there is always someone who has this stuff! Then when you are eventually unpacked yourself, put all the packing stuff back on Freecycle for someone else to use.
    Nice one!
    Also, please contact your telephone provider ASAP! We were with the biggest one in the UK (sounds like DT) and it took them FOREVER to sort us out in our new place. Document who you talk to, when you talk to them and what was agreed, and don't wait too long before you put it all in writing. Even then, it may take forever to sort out. Unbelievable. You just can't anticipate how long this process may take.
    Take advantage of the PO's redirection service; it may be pricey for couples as you pay for both names, but it saves a lot of hassle in the long run. Try and remember to take a note of which mail is redirected and make sure the senders are given your new address.
    But most importantly, take the kettle, cups, milk and tea bags in your car for a no-faff cuppa as soon as you get to your new place!
    Good luck!
    Jac
  • I moved at the beginning of the year and echo what a lot of other posters are saying.

1. Get a good removal firm, preferably personally recommended. I did this, my movers were AMAZING and made the very stressful day much more bearable. Give them a good tip and lots of tea/coffee/biscuits. Getting a good remover also saves you the hassle of buying packing materials as most will supply them to you (and pick them up afterwards).

2. Mark each box with the room its going into, and number it. Keep a notebook with a list of items you've put in each numbered box. I found this an absolute lifesaver.

3. Keep a 'first day' box with you in the car - include tea/coffee/milk/sugar/cold drinks/biscuits and snacks/a takeaway menu/wine (for the stress, you know), loo roll, pet food, necessary medicines, a few bits of cleaning stuff, measuring tape.

4. Keep a notebook from the very beginning (I used the same one for all my box lists, essential phone numbers, list of places I needed to tell my new address, meter readings etc). You can get project book sort of things from Smiths that have dividers with pockets - ideal for stashing receipts, quotes, essential documents. I kept mine on my person the whole day, it was invaluable.

5. Check heating and electrics thoroughly within the first few days. Dont just assume things are working because they switch on. We didnt realise til after the 7 day period was up that our heating didnt work. We'd switched it on and the light came on so we assumed it was ok, but a couple of weeks later realised none of the radiators actually heated up. Cost us a fortune to get repaired.

Thats all I can think of for now!
  • One tip, which on our last move i failed to do is to try and have someone counting the number of boxes going into removal van and someone counting them out on the delivery end. I didn't, trusting the removers and two boxes went missing. My own fault!!!! :(
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    We're were given the tip that on the day the removal comapny comes-keep clear....Let them get on with it and it will be done with a lot less hassle...

Mandsu, i'm intrigued how can you do that when they're there all day long?

We're moving next week and we're doing as others suggested, one box for cleaning and one box for the kettle, loo rolls, handwash, tea, coffee, biccies etc...

Oh and the frist thing you do when you know you're moving is set up teh redirection, it's something that can't be done with 2 days notice.

If it's a rental property, then photos, photos photos of the condition you have left it in. It saved me getting my deposit back after a dodgy claim from a landlord that it was dusty etc...

Also be prepared, when we had to change plans it means staying here overnight without beds etc...have an airbed or something similar available....Paper/plastic plates/cups also come in very useful for any last minute meals or meals in the new house. We also when we move have a duvet and a sheet rolled up together in a black bag ready to put on the bed the other end and or in our case use for the overnight without anything...:rotfl:

Hoover will also be coming in one or our cars. After reading on here about someone having their car keys packed by accident i would also say leave them in a safe place. Following on from advice here we're having our bathroom as the room to put our suitcase and airbed and things in. Dedicate a room for the things you don't want packed...I shall be making sure our car keys are in them.

I'm also getting this Friday luggage labels if i can find them to put on black bags with things in them so that they don't get confused with the rubbish...post notes always fall off...
  • I got directed to these by a post on another MSE forum and I also think the moving guides are really helpful, so it may be worth a look.

Clare
  • I've been using my phone as a modem for my laptop because I have unlimited data. Most phones can do this.

If that isn't an option it might be worth getting a pay and go dongle.

I couldn't handle being away from the web while they move my phone line and internet.
  • bzd
    bzd Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, I don't know if this applies only in Scotland, but if the boiler in the house you move into is found to be faulty within three days of purchase then it's the previous owner's responsibility to get it fixed or pay for the repairs.

What you can do is arrange a month in advance for British Gas Homecare or similar, where they do a free boiler check and arrange for the check within a couple of days of moving in. You may pay an extra month of cover, but that is easily cheaper than getting your boiler checked out normally!

Ben
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We took the opportunity to go ex-directory and also onto the edited electoral roll.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Did the labels just have your new address or did they say "Please redirect to... etc". I'm sure there was a post a few weeks ago saying that in these circumstances the person who received the mail would have to pay for delivery and a surcharge?

They just said "Please forward" with our address. Had no idea Royal Mail had started charging for this!
  • mrsk
    mrsk Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    1. Don't start packing early, especially if you have young children. It upsets them. Sort stuff instead. Make sure everything you don't want has already left the house before you start to pack.
    2. Explain clearly to children what is happening. Show them their stuff going into the van and explain when it will reappear.
    3. Carry the unreplaceable yourself. Be realistic about unreplaceable! This does not include your good but still current china & glass. If you pack it yourself it is not insured by removers.
    4. Watch your removers and assure yourself that they are professional (I've heard of temporary staff doing awful things to people's stuff). If you are not happy, stop them and ring the company.
    5. Plan where large items of furniture will go in the new place. It saves time if you can tell the removers where to put things. It saves energy if you are doing it yourself and don't have to keep moving stuff.
    6. If you have cats or dogs, try to leave them with friends from before packing starts until you have moved in. Alternatively put them in kennels. Just don't try to let them carry on as usual. It is difficult to get a cat out of a half-filled removal van (I know! I've had to do it!).
    7. Carry at least some of your photographs with you. A Radio 4 programme about moving house interviewed people whose vans had gone up in smoke or vanished completely and those were the most missed items.

All this learned the hard way as an army wife!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure