Stop being a Wimp!... DMP Journey

Comments

• Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Second week in new job and have been working abroad since day one! Bit of a whirlwind but expenses in this job are paid weekly and all hotels, flights etc. are covered so if I survive then this could work in our favour.

This job is a bit full on and I'm really tired, long journeys and hanging around airports but I hope it settles down soon...not sure what I will do if it doesn't:(
  • Ellieseleven
    Quick update - 1 more payment and we dip under the 20k milestone:j:j
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Hi Ellie,

:T on that nearly under 20k... you are doing fab..

Hope the job is going ok, sounds pretty hectic all that travelling around.... hope you get to see some of the places your visiting..

Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Ellieseleven
    Job is still frantic and 100 miles an hour, not sure how long I will be able to keep this up. This is definitely not what I signed up for so back to the drawing board I think and start looking for something else:(

I think the relationship with my OH is on the verge of collapse! I feel so trapped but there is no way out until we have paid back all our debt's so I am starting to make plans for when we are debt-free. I can't believe how lazy he is and how scruffy he is becoming. There is no let up on the drinking or smoking, in fact it has got much worse. The new habit that he has got into since I have started with this new job, is to drink 4 cans of lager in the house and then go off to the pub for a few more! As he has some work at the moment, he thinks he has the right, this plus 30 fags a day cancels out anything that he earns and I have had enough.

I feel very resentful as I am trying to clear our debts and have to go without treats, holidays etc. whilst he won't even try.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment so need to get my positive head back on and keep telling myself that in approx 2 1/2 years I will be debt and leeching OH free!:o
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Oh Ellie((((hugs))))

Sorry things are not going well with work - can you speak to someone to see if it will always be this fast paced or if it may slow down?

As for your DH - why do you have to wait until the debts are cleared - 2.5yrs is a long time to be in a marriage which is not working.

Is there any way of being able to pay your debts still even if you leave?
  • Ellieseleven
    Thanks for the hugs EE (much needed)

Job is beginning to settle down so will keep going for now and give it some time. It hasn't been as manic for the last couple of weeks so it may be ok.

We need to sell our house before I can move on, I pay for everything and manage to pay the mortgage, DMP etc. out of my money. We do have equity in the house but if we sell now we won't get the best price for it plus I still owe 20k so that's a big chunk. The house does need some cosmetic work doing which OH could do but won't and I am sick of asking so I am happy to plod on and be miserable for a couple more years (if you see what I mean). The house is big enough for us to have our own space.

Ellie xx
  • Hello Ellie

I saw your post on the DMP support thread and thought I would check out you diary. I've just read the whole thing and you have done brilliantly :T

Your posts have really helped me. I have just sent off my paperwork to SC so I am at the panicky horrible phase at the beginning. It's great to see how far you have come and how you got through those moments :)

Sorry to hear about your OH. He should be recognising what an amazing job you have done
    LBM July 14
    DMP 01.09.14 47 payments to Debt Free
  • Ellieseleven
    Thanks for your comments Sickofthisdebt and I'm glad that my diary has helped you. I do refer back to the beginning every now and then to remind myself where I was and where I am now and it does help when I'm feeling down and thinking there is no end to this journey.

Things have improved between myself and OH after a huge bust up, it had been coming and he seems to have taken a few things on board so we'll carry on and see how it goes.

Settling into my job a bit more now and starting to enjoy it more. Saving loads on petrol as I can work from home more. They have just given me a bonus which was a surprise but very much appreciated. We are going to use it to decorate the hallway which will make me feel much happier.

My next milestone is to have all 11 debts under the 4k mark, there is only 1 left over 4k and we reach this milestone in December so not so far off;) two of our debts are also under 1k which makes me smile every time I see it on my spreadsheet, this is a huge boost as the figures seem to be reducing much faster now they are only 3 digits instead of 4:o

I've also been doing the £1 a day challenge and my tin is getting very full now, this will pay for Christmas for us and I don't have to worry about whether I've budgeted enough. For anyone thinking of doing this, it really is worth it and I have found that putting a £1 away every day has become a habit that I'm definately not ashamed of:)

I noticed that HH from the debt free wannabe board is finally debt free and I am so pleased and excited for her. She has been a great help to everyone and it's a fantastic boost to us all...Well done!

Take care all

Ellie
  • ((Ellie))

I saw your post which has now been deleted but wanted to let you know that there are people on here who care about you.

We briefly discussed this a couple of months ago - can you hold out for 2.5years still?

If you can, then you need to grin and bear it knowing that you don't have to put up with it for much longer but can come on here to rant (my diary has many rants about DH - I keep them on there just in case I need a divorce and can't remember what happened)

If you can't manage 2.5 years then you need a plan - there is a lot of experience on MSE so I am sure lots of people will help.

Why do you need to protect your parents?
    They would be mortified if they knew how much you were struggling but kept going because you were worried about them.

When DH and I nearly split I did think about what others would think - no one in my immediate family has ever got divorced but then I decided that it was tough, and it was for me to be happy and not to live a lie. (Plus of course I shamed the family once by having a child at 15!!)

I know you don't 'know' me but I am happy to chat by PM or via Facebook if you have it.
  • Thank you EE, I will PM you.

Ellie xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family