Stop being a Wimp!... DMP Journey

Comments

• Great to hear from you Gettingmylife straight!

After much nagging, my OH has realised that he needs to do something and a part time job would help. I do earn a very good salary and any job part-time or full-time would help to keep us above water.

Our DMP payment takes a big chunk from my pay packet (but it's no where near the minimum's we were paying!) and I can pay for everything although there isn't much left over so anything is better than nothing.

I know what you mean about working with other people, that is half of his problem. He has become so isolated and is visually sinking into himself so I think getting out and about would make a huge difference.

We don't have any PPI to claim unfortunately:(

Ellie xx
  • Hi Puzzcat,

:mad: to other half indeed! He did work hard and does when he gets started, it's just the getting started that's the problem!:(

I have a little bit of something tucked away to celebrate;)

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Debt-busting New Year for 2014:rudolf:

Ellie xx
  • Payday tomorrow and it can't come quick enough! We've managed to get through Christmas...just!

I have used up all the emergency fund on my car and am down to the last few pence in my purse. OH still seems keen to find a job as I have made it anything but easy for him and made him aware just how hard it is to keep going with little or no money. He doesn't have to find a particularly high paying job as I can pay all the bills etc. out of my salary but we never have anything left over so any job will give us a bit of wiggle room and also help towards paying back our DMP.

We have had a lovely family Christmas and it feels good to know that gifts and food etc. are all budgeted and paid for with cash so no nasty surprises in the new year.

Looking forward to more debt busting in 2014 and steps closer to the day when we are finally debt free!

Take care and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you all

Ellie xx
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I think that the last few weeks have been the hardest that we have had to endure whilst on a DMP:eek::eek:

Since before Christmas it's as though there is not a day goes by without some calamity or another!

My car is just having problem after problem (as well as needing taxing at the end of Dec). It went in to the garage for a problem with the electrics which was fixed but now I appear to have another problem with the electrics which my local garage may or may not be able to fix. If they can't it means a trip to the main dealer and I can't begin to think how much that might cost.

Boiler broke down just after Christmas - all our emergency fund had been used up for car repairs and Christmas as OH has had no work since beginning of October! My mum and dad came to the rescue again and paid for the boiler £250!!!! but now I will have to ask them again as my car is undrivable and I can't get to work. I really hate keep asking for money as my parents are elderly and I feel that I should be the one treating them not the other way around.:o

On the plus side OH has applied for a job which would be a great match for him as a grounds maintenance man. It's only part-time but it would make such a huge difference to us...I have my fingers, toes and anything else that can be crossed in hope that something comes of this ;)

Anyway off to speak to my mum!

Ellie xxx
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Hi Ellie,

Sorry to hear about the car and boiler trouble.. as they say it never rains but it pours.. i've already had to dip into my e.fund twice and have only been on a dmp since November... Hoping to be able to top it up before something else goes wrong...

Fingers crossed for your OH's job, extra pennies coming in will always be a good thing..

Mum's are wonderful things aren't they.. mine has just taken me to lunch and is taking me to Venice in May. I have an interest free loan with her already that I took on pre LBM - DMP.. If your parents are anything like mine, they like to know they are helping.

Good luck with your 2014 debt busting..

Love
    Puzz. xx
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Ellieseleven
    Hi Puzzcat,

Great to hear from you! Oooh Venice how wonderful, it really is a place that should be visited:)

I was so miffed at having to dip into my emergency fund, it was so good to see the pennies mounting up and it kept me motivated but each time that I am almost at £1000 something happens and I just never seem to be able to get over the 1k mark but I keep trying lol!

Closing date for OH's job is not until the end of the month so we have a little time to wait until we know whether he has an interview or not:o

Take care

Ellie xx
  • Ellieseleven
    ...and breath. Car is fixed, passed MOT, new tyres and central locking sorted:o

This has been a better week than last week so far so I feel back in control and able to carry on;)

Not long to payday now and OH is waiting to see whether he has an interview for a job (closing date next week) I do hope that he at least gets an interview just to boost his self-esteem:o

Ellie xx
  • eyeopener2
    eyeopener2 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hey ellie!

I didn't know you had a diary. All these years and I've missed it!

I will get to reading it all and good luck with the job hunting, I'm crossing everything for your OH.

e2
    I'm Debt Free :j 2/09/2013
    Debt at LBM 30/04/2010 £24,109.38,
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Hi Ellie,

Good news on the fixed car, mine needs a few things doing to it, I haven't been brave enough to venture to the garage now i'm cc less.... will have to sort some of them soon though....

Fingers crossed for OH getting an interview and the job...

Another 6 days to my payday but still got some in the bank and its looking like today is a NSD so that's always good!

This year seems to be rushing away again.. only 1 week left of January... soon be christmas...:rotfl:

Love Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Ellieseleven
    Hello E2 and Puzzcat, nice to see you here! I've written my diary since the start of my DMP, it helps me vent my feelings (OH drives me insane sometimes with his blaise attitude:mad:)and sometimes I like to look back and remind myself how far I have come;)

January has been a trying month (putting it mildly) and I am glad to see the back of it! Some good news yesterday, OH has an interview, it would be fantastic if he got this job and would make a huge difference to us! So this weekend I will mainly be going through interview techniques with him as he hasn't been for an interview for over 15 years!

Back on track and feeling much more positive now, added some money back into our emergency fund after we totally wiped it out. I feel much more relaxed when I have something to fall back on:o

Take care
    Ellie xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family