Muchin's diary of recover; becoming debt free and being happy

Options

Comments

• Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all

I've been spending today and I'm quite delighted:D. I have been wanting to do up our kitchen for such a long time but I didn't have a clue how much a kitchen would be... £6000 was my guess with at least £2-3000 to install. I saw the B&Q offer 25% off, so I went on Sunday with OH and designed a rough sketch of the kitchen and the intial quote was £2100 without accessories - I thought handles were an essential not an accessory:). Anyhow I've spent the last few days deciding on what I really wanted and I popped into B&Q today with my Mum and we picked exactly what we wanted and after the 25% the kitchen will cost £1927.10. I have taken advantage of their pay nothing for 12 months. I know some people are not fans of B&Q but our last kitchen was from them about 20 years ago and I think that they are fine and as long as you have a good fitter then it should all be good:D.

MSE savings- I have my cousin lined up to do the plumbing, another cousin lined up to fit the kitchen, an Uncle to do the electrics and a cousin to do any plastering. I also have OH & brother lined up for tiling and I will do the painting and the stressing. I think that I can get the kitchen fitted and all the other bits and bobs done for less than £500.

I've asked them not to deliver the kitchen until the end of Feb so that gives me plenty of time to get the place prepared.

Total £2500 for a new kitchen:T. I need to get my saving pots looking more healthy.
  • Munchin
    Options
    Morning all

I'm in a rush out the door but I've got slightly side tracked:D. Yesterday was another BF day and an AFD day :D. I'm usually ok on the BF front when I'm with OH at the weekends however he is now working on Sunday so that is a pain.

It will be a spendy day as I usually pick up a takeaway with OH and I like a glass of wine on a friday night. I'm hoping that is it on the spendy front for today.

I've just realised that I have almost the cost of my holiday in my saving fund... just need to add the cost of the kitchen so in that fund I need at least £3500 - wee buns:D:eek:
    I'm so hoping I'm going to hear about my promotion today but I've heard a rumour that because of various staffing changes it may be Feb before I hear:(
  • Munchin
    edited 11 January 2014 at 10:55AM
    Options
    Morning world,

I got up to go to go to Pilates for 10am and then realised that the class isn't on until 11:o- oops. I will clean the kitchen and have another cup of tea then:).

Yesterday was a BF day but I had a wee wobble about 6pm but caught myself on. I went to OH where we had a takeaway and a lovely glass of red wine. I was annoyed with OH because a friend had bought me a lovely bottle of pink sparkly fizz for my birthday which I had left at his house. As soon as I walked into the kitchen I saw the top lying but the bottle was in the recycling bin. I was annoyed because he knew that I was going to share it with the person who had given it to me and because to me he does have alcohol issues. He doesn't drink during the day but he drinks at least a small bottle of vodka every night. He blames it on stress of work but I know he is using it as an excuse. Of course being me I didn't say anything I just bottled it up:mad: which isn't good. I'm waiting to see when he tells me or if he tells me:(.

I have one more week in work and then I'm on leave for a week. I'm planning on spending that week chipping tiles from the kitchen walls, painting the ceiling and scrubbing the kitchen floor tiles to see if I can make them anything like new. I've been googling homemade scrubbing things on you tube to get and idea:).

Spends front - £2 tea club£2.50 lunch (broke my LTW streak:o), £12.18 alkehol & £5.18. OH gave me £4 towards alkehol & takeaway but he included a £2 coin which goes into pot. I also got a £2 in change so that goes in the pot as well. Total - £21.86.

I'm glad I'm going to Pilates at 11 so that I can work some of this anger out of me:D

Spends budget

Diesel................£128.73/£220
    Food - ..............£55.47/£130
    Entertainment - £40/£85
    Exercise - .........£40/£50
    Gifts - ..............£xx/£30
    Beauty - ..........£xx/£20

Total - .............£264.20/£535

Alcohol days... 5/16
    SFD...............5/20

• Munchin
    Options
    Hiya

Quick update - I'm just back from Pilates class and my back held out:). I also stopped at Lidl & Sainsbugs to get the weekly shop done. I bought ingredients for Irish stew and I'm going to make a big pot of it and freeze portions which I can grab out of the freezer for my lunch. Spends £25.98.

I'm starting to feel so much better again (more positive) and I think I will join a new running club on Wed which is closer to home. I'm watching the Edinburgh cross country at the minute :D

Spends budget

Diesel................£128.73/£220
    Food - ..............£77.45/£130
    Entertainment - £40/£85
    Exercise - .........£44/£50
    Gifts - ..............£xx/£30
    Beauty - ..........£xx/£20

Total - .............£341.65/£535

Alcohol days... 5/16
    SFD...............5/20
  • Munchin
    Options
    Morning all:)

So today is Day 7 of my BF countdown but I'm a bit worried as Monday's are always a nightmare - I've made my plan, packed my lunch and planned my evening so wish me luck:D.

I've just checked the envelopes and put down here how much money I have left. I'm kind of snookered on the exercise front as I've estimated that I need another £20 from this category which I'm going to "borrow" from the beauty category as it looks like I'm not going to need it this month.

17 days to pay day:eek:

Money left

Diesel................£51
    Food - ..............£52.55
    Entertainment - £45
    Exercise - .........£6
    Gifts - ..............£30
    Beauty - ..........£20

Total - .............£204.55

Alcohol days... 6/16
    SFD...............6/20
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Munchin wrote: »
    So today is Day 7 of my BF countdown but I'm a bit worried as Monday's are always a nightmare - I've made my plan, packed my lunch and planned my evening so wish me luck:D.

Keep going lovely gal - you're doing brill. Nothing to do with *luck* it's hard work and determination from you that is paying marvellous dividends. I look forward to hearing all about your day and your plans :D

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Munchin
    Options
    Hi Greying - thank you for your support:).

Yesterday I felt panicky in the morning and just wanted to go home to bed. I then felt exhausted in the afternoon but perked up by 4pm. I suppose subconciously I was worrying about it being a Monday. I ate too much pasta at lunchtime which made me feel bloated but I will take a lesson from this in that my body can't cope with too much heavy carbs at lunchtime. I'm having stew today but there is meat in it and I've reduced the portion size right down. I will have enough snacks in case I get hungry.

I dragged myself to circuit class last night - as usual I spent more energy arguing with myself - "I have to go/I don't want to:o". I love it when I get there so why so much arguing - I need a shrugging smiley.

I've had a good start to my morning so far:D. My computer keeps saying "firefox is still running...." and I can't get into my computer without shutting it down. I googled the problem and it is all sorted. I also accidently deleted all my music from my phone which was a surprise on my last run but I also have that fixed.

Anyway - today should be an NSD and I should be home early (famous last words). Did I tell you that my friend is tempting me with new cool pink trainers (>£40) :whistle: - just saying:o. I'm also looking at attending a Chi running workshop in March. It is 150 euros for the day which I know is expensive but my rational is that I've spent so much on podiatrists/physios/new trainers over the last 6 years and my injury is still kind of there. I'm to talk to OH about it as the course is in Dublin. I could leave super early and be back about 7pm. OH only objection is that he can't imagine me finding the place:o but if he goes he will have nothing to do all day.

Ok work is calling - is January starting to feel incredibly long for anyone else?

Money left

Diesel................£51
    Food - ..............£52.55
    Entertainment - £25
    Exercise - .........£2
    Gifts - ..............£30
    Beauty - ..........£20

Total - .............£182.55

Alcohol days... 7/16
    SFD...............7/20
  • Munchin
    Options
    Evening all:),

I had a good day today and feel confident today will be BF.

I went to a new physio this afternoon as my hip was playing up again. I've been seeing another physio for a very long time and at times I see some improvement and then I'm back to pain again. It's a lot of money not to see much improvement and very frustrating.

Anyhow this new physio seems to know his stuff and he treated me for back pain as well as hip pain (I kept telling my old physio that my back was tight and stiff but he didn't think it was a problem). He reckons that he should probably only need to see me 3 times as he will give me the advice I need and it is up to me to work on it. I also saw a podiatrist while I was there for general advice and basically what I was told before by a previous podiatrist is wrong which I kind of figured out for myself by researching online.

I've been told by the physio that I'm not to do any running or circuit classes for at least a week - preferably 2. I quite like being told to put my feet up and do nothing :D
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Munchin - did the physio or podiatrist have any opinion (either way) about the 'Chi' running class? I know it's not until March, so it's not an issue for your rest period. I mean from a 'running correctly with good posture' type perspective - much like you might employ the alexander technique to get up out of a chair without strain etc etc

Lawks, I hope that makes sense to you - I know what I'm trying to say :rotfl:

Glad you've had a good day - may you have many more of them :D

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Munchin
    Options
    Hi Greying - I know what you are saying :)but I didn't broach it with them yesterday. I will speak to them at my next appointment about it. I noticed when the podiatrist was doing a mini assessment and I had to walk on my toes she was saying "look at her left arm" - so obviously I was doing something funny/odd and a think a whole body approach is the way to go.

It was good that they didn't automatically say you must have orthotics but more that they will get me back out running and if I break down again then they will consider orthotics.

Ok it is hump day and 'only' 2 weeks until pay day:(. January is always such a long month and even though I put money in savings which I will not touch (repeat 10 times:rotfl:), I wish I had a bit more money in my envelopes.

I've done my morning exercise as advised by physio and now its:coffee: time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure