Bidding for a car on Ebay

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    The form (V5C) they have is not in their name, only a dealer would have that, not a private seller.

Yes and they explained that they got the car from a dealer and didn't send the form off as the car wasn't suitable.

It might be dodgy. I don't know, all I am saying is I personally would take a chance as its only a few 100 quid (if it was 1000s i would run a mile). But just because I would do that, those who would choose not to doesn't make them wrong.
  • Yes, if the vehicle was transferred to the trade. All the buyer would have is the green 'New Keeper Supplement' from it, only a trader would have the rest of the V5C.

Would or should?

It's not impossible to be in possession of incorrect paperwork.
  • Yes and they explained that they got the car from a dealer and didn't send the form off as the car wasn't suitable.

A buyer doesn't send anything off, which is why saying that causes concern.
    The dealer notifies the DVLA of the transfer, and gives the buyer the 'New Keeper Supplement' from the V5C.
    The DVLA then send the buyer their V5C, a private buyer should only have the 'New Keeper Supplement', not the rest of the V5C.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Ebay isnt a good place to buy cars. Similar thing happened to me several years ago and i also walked away.

I had tried several times to view the car but there was always some excuse. In the end i won and went to pick it up. It wasnt anything like in the pictures. The pictures were of the car many, many years earlier. It had different wheels, was covered in rust and looked like it had been painted with a brush (similar but not same colour as on the listing) and the seller had removed a wood steering wheel that was in the pictures.

Seller admitted that he was getting rid because he also bought it on ebay, felt conned but that he had to go through with the transaction and expected me to do the same. He even listed it with exactly the same photos and details that he thought conned him. I just told him to !!!! off and walked away. He did a second chance to the next highers bidder who contacted me before accepting. Obviously i didnt hold back on what i thought of it.

Forget this ebay BS about bidding to buy. If its not exactly as described then just walk away.
  • iammumtoone
    A buyer doesn't send anything off, which is why saying that causes concern.
    The dealer notifies the DVLA of the transfer, and gives the buyer the 'New Keeper Supplement' from the V5C.
    The DVLA then send the buyer their V5C, a private buyer should only have the 'New Keeper Supplement', not the rest of the V5C.

They did say the dealer was a friend. I suspect the dealer friend didn't put the car through his books and took cash in hand. Not best practice on the dealer behalf but that doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the car (that you wouldn't expect for a car that value and age).
  • iammumtoone
    Why that comes into it, I don't know.

It explains why the car is not suitable for their son, hence the need for them to sell after a short time, he wanted a 5 door but this one has 3. Another child would have probably been able to accept this difference, but to someone autistic they might have more difficulty in this.

It seems to me that the sellers are being accused of coming up with so many stories (that could all be valid) just to gain a few hundred quid, I don't follow why you would go to that much trouble for so little.
  • Now £295 on eBay with a couple of minutes left .....
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-Finesse-/222416193637
  • Sold for £310
  • mro
    mro Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It explains why the car is not suitable for their son, hence the need for them to sell after a short time, he wanted a 5 door but this one has 3. Another child would have probably been able to accept this difference, but to someone autistic they might have more difficulty in this.

It seems to me that the sellers are being accused of coming up with so many stories (that could all be valid) just to gain a few hundred quid, I don't follow why you would go to that much trouble for so little.
    That doesn't explain why he has bought 3 door then, but wanted 5 door.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Sleazy wrote: »
    Sold for £310

More exciting than the Archers! Don't forget to monitor the feedback.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure