err_connection_timed_out

Comments

• Hmm, weirdly it SEEMS for now at least to be working ok. No idea why as didn't work straight away following restore but will see how it goes.

Thanks again to anyone and everyone who has tried to help, really appreciated.
  • Ok, it's not working actually. I'm gonna try a local company but thanks again anyway for your help.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Using wife's android I'm getting a wi-fi signal of -40 to -30 in the lounge near the router and around -70 in the office where the laptop would be.
    Looks like the phone is reporting the same signal strength as the laptop was. That pretty much rules out a detached antenna imo. That signal level isn't good but should still offer a reliable connection unless there is competition from other APs messing it up. They should also impact the phones though so I'm puzzled.

Let us know how you get on and what the fix was assuming your local laptop shop comes up with one.
  • Will do. Do you think £45 ish per hour is reasonable and do you think this sort of service can be trusted and will work? Shop has been around a long time so I guess they must be doing something right.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    They may reinstall Windows 10 so make sure you have a copy of any important docs/pics. Ask them how they work. They shouldn't spend more than an hour diagnosing (and hopefully fixing) before reporting back to you.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2016 at 2:03PM
    I can't comment on the hourly charge as I've never used a shop but it doesn't sound unreasonable.

As a last ditch effort. I though you were asked if you'd turned off the Windows update sharing but can't find the question or a reply. So have you? it's under the advanced options of the update & security settings and linked to as choose how updates are delivered. You need to turn off "updates from more than one place" - in particular PCs on the internet. If you don't other machines may be downloading from you rather than Microsoft and there have been some sizeable updates.
  • That setting was already off but thanks for the suggestion.
  • Interesting development. Computer works fine at my parents' house. Does that mean it's the router?
  • Hmm, although phones/tv work. Does the laptop working elsehwere suggest anything new or not?
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Interesting development. Computer works fine at my parents' house. Does that mean it's the router?
    Presumably your parents have a different router? BT?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure