Possible return of unfriendly, bossy volunteer

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm curious as to where your manager is all the days you're opening up etc because there's no one else there. Surely they should be present enough to spot any issues for themselves?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Hedgehog99 wrote: »
    Unless the particular charity is personally important to you, or unless it is the only conveniently located CS for you to work in, I would get into a position where you are prepared and equipped to leave.

If you can get a reference now from a manager who knows how good you have been (before Maureen has the chance to poison their mind), then perhaps you can get a position recognising your skills at an alternative CS?

Surprisingly, another volunteer at my charity has asked for a reference and has been there for 3 years, management refused out right stating 'they don't give references' and the area manager didn't even know who she was, fair enough she only does an hour a week but the manager ought to have known who she was. Not convinced at all, they will give me a reference now.

Maureens are toxic and unless this is realised by those with the power to deal with them, it's devastating for the rest of the staff. I've been there, bullied by a colleague and then finding management doesn't properly deal with the perpetrator. It is miserable.

I agree people like Maureen are toxic. But it's like management don't seem to care. They know exactly how she is but they view her as unreplaceable or something. Which is ridiculous as everyone (myself included) has managed fine without her. Some are even glad she isn't there. W

If the management of your CS are not up to taking a stand and getting rid of Maureen, then I'm afraid they don't care enough about you or your good colleagues. Many managers think they have a happy team and are oblivious of the misery beneath the surface, but your managers have been told about her before, and by an independent witness too, so there is no excuse for their toothless behaviour.

They probably won't even realise their mistake when the good volunteers all leave and the shop's closed most of the time because the only volunteer still there (Maureen in her personal empire), isn't, well, there very often.

You could wait and see if the rumours are true (while equipping yourself to leave). If she arrives and is rude, just walk out, and phone your manager to explain why.

You are right I am just going to see what happens and stand my ground. If she's rude I will just have to deal with it. She has a way of twisting things (for example we walking out makes it look like I am stroppy and unreasonable or a "diva" and I can't work with people, or at least that is how she would spin it.)

I wish you well and hope you can end up in a happy volunteering situation without any more Maureens.

Thank you.
  • z1a wrote: »
    She may want control of the till because she's dipping in it.

This has been my concern.

I have no proof as such, but I do have a few records to show how takings increased dramatically since she left.

She left behind a diary, where she recorded it the takings everyday and they were at times £40-50 a day less then what they are since I have been doing the till.

There was also a customer who said to me last week "Oh, I bet your charity see's more money now Maureen has gone."

Which I thought was concerning at the time.
  • elsien wrote: »
    I'm curious as to where your manager is all the days you're opening up etc because there's no one else there. Surely they should be present enough to spot any issues for themselves?

He's rarely there. He might pop down for an hour, once or twice a week. Then he will just ring up and ask what the takings were at the end of the day but that's about it. There has been weeks where we don't see him all week. We are left to manage ourselves. Which is probably why he doesn't see Maureen as being toxic as he thinks she's just old school ie just says things how they are. He doesn't seem to realize she is nasty and bossy and creating an atmosphere or if he does he doesn't seem to care.
  • theoretica wrote: »
    Does she come in every day the shop is open? I would suggest a request to management that you are scheduled on different days. That lets them know you don't want to work with her but sounds nicer than tell her to go or I will leave.

It is obviously to the shop's advantage to have more than one person capable of opening up and doing the till, as people do go away or get ill. Do your fellow volunteers want to be trained up in this if she leaves?

Yes, she would do everyday mon-sat. I think I will have to ask management to schedule us on different days as due to her nastiness I can't see us working together. I will be civil of course, but I know for a fact she won't be.

My other volunteers don't mind being trained up. But she probably wont like that and see it as 'competition' for her role. Which is ridiculous. I've already shown one woman there how to use the till as I thought it be nice to share knowledge and skills.
  • Many small charities are innately corrupt and self-serving. Yours may be one of them.
  • Many small charities are innately corrupt and self-serving. Yours may be one of them.

It seems so.
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Nothing really to add except it really does look like she is creaming off the profits. Which is so sad. DON'T LET NASTY PEOPLE ruin what you want to do. Which is a good an honorable thing. Stand your ground. Ask the other staff how they feel. Go on mass to the manager.

Without proof it is difficult to mention the takings/ theft but certainly having her gone, happy people working will mean that people will be more likely to pop in and buy.

Good luck and well done for standing up to her!
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Thanks for the encouragement BJV, come Monday morning the real showdown will begin. Where she will come in and DEMAND i remove myself from the till. I am not going to move at all. I can honestly see this woman going the full mile with this, she will probably ring the management and get him to come down but I refuse to be bullied.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    This has been my concern.

I have no proof as such, but I do have a few records to show how takings increased dramatically since she left.

She left behind a diary, where she recorded it the takings everyday and they were at times £40-50 a day less then what they are since I have been doing the till.

There was also a customer who said to me last week "Oh, I bet your charity see's more money now Maureen has gone."

Which I thought was concerning at the time.

Ouch. Does your charity price in round numbers or not? One of the reasons behind prices being 99p etc is that it usually has to be registered at the till and the till opened to give change so it is harder for someone corrupt to pocket the cash.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport