PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Income from Rent

Options
Hi, I currently have a 3 bed detached house outside of Manchester, I am fed up of commuting and while I am still young I would like to experience city life, I have tenants ready to move into my house at the end of the month. I have yet to find a flat in the city centre as I am unsure how much money I will have to spend because of income tax I may or may not have to pay on the rental income I get.

I have a full time job earning over mid 40s and a mortgage of 550 a month with rent income of £850 a month. Can anyone let me know how much I will be paying with tax on the rent income, will it be 40%?

I have consent to let from my mortgage provider, I will pay landlords insurance, i want everything to be above board.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it will be 40%
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 June 2017 at 2:55PM
    Options
    you have a job paying "mid 40s" therefore you are a higher rate taxpayer if your total income (salary + taxable profit from letting) = > £45,000 pa
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tax-and-tax-credit-rates-and-thresholds-for-2017-18/tax-and-tax-credit-rates-and-thresholds-for-2017-18

the higher rate tax is 40%

if your question is really what amount of tax will i pay then we cannot answer that without at lot more figures to work out your actual taxable net profit
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't forget there are also expenses - repairs, insurance, management fees, mortgage costs, etc etc etc etc etc...
  • 24shaw
    24shaw Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your response. How frustrating! Is it 40% of the entire rental income? If I pay management fees to the agent, is that knocked off? and do I not ignore the interest part of the mortgage?

Its all very confusing.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    24shaw wrote: »
    Thanks for your response. How frustrating! Is it 40% of the entire rental income? If I pay management fees to the agent, is that knocked off? and do I not ignore the interest part of the mortgage?

Its all very confusing.
    it is only confusing because you appear to have done no research yet despite being a highly paid employee!

start with the basics....
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/income-tax-when-you-rent-out-a-property-working-out-your-rental-income
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    As a side note, if you have student loan repayments, they will also be taken out of your rental income when you do your self assessment (9%).

And you will be liable for capital gains tax when you sell the property.

The income tax you will pay is (rent - expenses)*0.4 - i.e. any expenses are subtracted from the income used to calculate the tax, not the tax paid. The link above describes what counts as "expenses". Mortgage *interest* (not the full repayment) is an expense, but you can only claim back a reduced tax rate on it.

You are probably not going to earn more after tax than your mortgage payments.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    DumbMuscle wrote: »
    A
    And you will be liable for capital gains tax when you sell the property.

I don't think the OP wants to sell the property just rent out whilst he is young enough to enjoy the city.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You could always just sell it and buy in the centre. Or are you worried about making a mistake?

You'll still have tenants in for at least 6 or 12 months so won't be able to move back if you don't like it.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • 24shaw
    Options
    I don't pay Student loans fortunately, my employer paid for my studying.

Its the expenses part that I am now trying to get my head around, do agents fees count as an expense? Does the mortgage?

Is capital gains tax something I will need to worry about if I sell the house while its still rented?
  • 24shaw
    Options
    Hazyjo, that is an option I suppose. I just worry that in a year or so I might want to settle down in the house again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure