Being prescribed an overdose (again)

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Perhaps this thread should be closed, as it's served its purpose and is now giving people the chance to rant about their personal experiences. These rants serve no purpose, as nothing can be achieved by forum members, but could lead to these people making themselves even more upset.

Yes, there are many cases where things went wrong, but there are many more with happy outcomes for which the recipients and families are very grateful.

If this thread is really distressing to you, perhaps you should do the "grown up" thing and just not read it, rather than petulantly insisting that no one else has the right to say things you don't like!

Perhaps your posts should be deleted if you're going to continue making these irrelevant comments...? :p

Yes, there are many cases where the NHS got things right, but there are very many people being harmed or killed. If people were more aware of the completely avoidable tragedies that the NHS perpetuate, then maybe fewer lives would be needlessly lost.

Or you can just live in denial and try to silence anyone who speaks out about medical malpractice. ;)
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 1:45PM
    I could have written the OP, almost to a word it is what happened to both my parents even down to the bowel cancer my mother had.

I also have recent experience of a close friend being treated at one of the UK's foremost cancer hospitals and their catalogue of errors ( missing scans, wrong records, missed appointment referrals, no scan referrals, being told scans were clear when they were not etc) means her once curable cancer is now stage 4 and spreading, and still she is experiencing incompetence each time she goes for an appointment.This despite them being "awash with money from fundraising donations" according to staff members.

Another friend had to go to court to get the local hospital to admit their shortcomings cost his brother his life. Yet another, that her mother had died as a result of low consultant staffing ratios at weekend. It was admitted in court that had she had her operation mid week she would still be alive.

So, I know where the OP is coming from. If you have never had such an experience it is very easy to doubt or dismiss, not so easy when you have seen loved ones suffer and die and are still seeing it.

It does make you suspicious, it does make you worry and the fact that logically we all know the NHS does more good than harm, does not negate that if it has happened to you.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    esuhl wrote: »
    God, you're one of those people who just has to have their say, even when you know nothing about anything. :p

Having worked in the NHS for over a decade, and dealt with people with your attitude every day, I know a little bit more than the average person.

Would you like to discount my 4 year BSc in biomedicine, or the 200+ courses I have attended relevant to my career in the NHS, or the good amount of current experience of both prescribing and dispensing information?
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    Having worked in the NHS for over a decade, and dealt with people with your attitude every day, I know a little bit more than the average person.

Would you like to discount my 4 year BSc in biomedicine, or the 200+ courses I have attended relevant to my career in the NHS, or the good amount of current experience of both prescribing and dispensing information?

You may have those qualifications, but tbh, you come across as lacking empathy and a bit arrogant.

I have a couple of degrees and post grad quals in my own field, and ditto the ongoing CPD. However, I would like to think that when dealing with joe public who has legitiimate case for concern I would exhibit some modicum of sympathy and understanding. Not everyone the NHS treats or comes into contact with is a numbskull and it is counterproductive to deal with them that way.;)
    Save
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If this thread is really distressing to you, perhaps you should do the "grown up" thing and just not read it, rather than petulantly insisting that no one else has the right to say things you don't like!

Perhaps your posts should be deleted if you're going to continue making these irrelevant comments...? :p

Yes, there are many cases where the NHS got things right, but there are very many people being harmed or killed. If people were more aware of the completely avoidable tragedies that the NHS perpetuate, then maybe fewer lives would be needlessly lost.

Or you can just live in denial and try to silence anyone who speaks out about medical malpractice. ;)

I am not distressed but you obviously are and this thread is doing you no good. Please seek help, before things get too much for you.
  • esuhl

Ohh... no wonder you've got such a big chip on your shoulder. Too busy being part of the problem to even consider that you might ever be wrong.

I disregard any qualification held by ignorant, incompetent people. You can pass a test, but you clearly struggle with the basics -- like common sense and common courtesy.

With the level of contempt you show towards patients, I wonder if your highly-strung black-and-white thinking is due to the guilt you subconsciously feel for all the people you neglected, and who suffered at your hands.
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I am not distressed but you obviously are and this thread is doing you no good. Please seek help, before things get too much for you.

Ha ha -- you're funny. You should look up "Freudian projection". As I said, any mature adult would walk away from a discussion that was stressing them out. You just come back for more. :rotfl:

That tells me there's something wrong with you.
  • esuhl
    Anyway, ignoring the trolls and going back to the original post, I checked with the chemist. He confirmed that it's the patient information leaflet which contains incorrect advice.
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anyway, ignoring the trolls and going back to the original post, I checked with the chemist. He confirmed that it's the patient information leaflet which contains incorrect advice.

So your Doc is right?
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • esuhl
    cbrown372 wrote: »
    So your Doc is right?

Yes -- he was this time.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes -- he was this time.

Will you now be giving an apology for ridiculing your doctor in public ?

Now what do they call the illness where someone, who has it, assumes that they are fine and it's others who are affected ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure