help with additional borrowing for extension

hi ,not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes!
i am having a 2 storey extension built and need some advice about the best way to finance the £25K i need for the build!
i have applied to my existing mortgage company for the additional amount but they valued my house less than i was hoping for, so have only offered me £14K
out of the £14K i need to use £2K to pay off an existing loan
saving me £180 per month
my current mortgage deal is fixed for another 3yrs and i have 23 years remaining at £350 a month

to make up the short fall i want to get a personal loan of £13K
to afford this i need to decrease my mortgage, my budget is £550 per month
i can reduce my mortgage payments in 2 ways and am not sure which will be best option-

1, increase the term of my mortgage and additional borrowing of £14K to 30 yrs to bring down payments to £382 a month

2, change my mortgage payments to interest only which would be £300 per month

i plan to remortgage in 3yrs time when the fixed term is up and to consolidate the 13K loan into the new mortgage
any help here would be much appreciated as i have an impatient wife here who just wants her new extension built yesterday :)

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    davidw691 wrote: »
    1, increase the term of my mortgage and additional borrowing of £14K to 30 yrs to bring down payments to £382 a month

2, change my mortgage payments to interest only which would be £300 per month

Have you approached your lender to see if either option is available?

You may well need to supply details of how you intend to repay the capital balance to get agreement to option 2. So you'll be no better off in cashflow terms.

If you are struggling to repay £2k of debt. Is borrowing an additional £25k a sensible idea? Interest rates are only going in one direction.
  • hi Thrugelmir, yes i spoke to my lender earlier today and both options are available, i just dont fully understand which option is financially better for me in the long run
    the £2K loan isnt a hardship as such i just want to pay that off to free up the £180 a month outgoing to go towards paying a new loan
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    dont increase your term, dont go interest only.

save and do the work when you can.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    I could be wrong but with short days and freezing temperatures it might not be the best time to start borrowing for a building project on your home. I would not want to live on a partial building site in the winter months.

Spend less so you can save up/pay off your loans. You may need additional reserves of cash to complete this project in the event of things going wrong.

J_B.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Did the lender value the house in present condition or imroved condition (after the extension is built)?

Some lenders will lend against the improved valuation.

It may be worth seeing a broker and working out if, with penalties, it is actually worth changing lender to achieve this.

That said, a few months of hard saving can move you towards your objective!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure