Passenger in life

Does anyone else feel like a passenger in their own life? I do make a lot of decisions, but normally as a reaction to something. I am rarely proactive. This is the most pro-active thing I have done.

My LBM was when I realised I didn't know how many credits cards I had, let alone what was outstanding. That was at about 4.20am this morning and I haven't been able to sleep. I have 2 mins to eat and then get ready for work so I don't really have a plan of action. I will think about it on the tube to work.

Comments

• The obvious first step is to locate and quantify credit card debt. It's going to be a scary number. I'm not really sure how I have managed to lose track, but I guess with moving house and having lots of bills to pay, buying stuff on finance etc it all sort of mounts up. Looking at my direct debit list I cannot identify about 3 payments �� That's bad. I really need to do a proper review of all expenditure and set a budget.

All obvious steps �� its just such a daunting task.

I thought about cutting up my credit cards but so many household expenses are charged and also I get cash back. Not sure yet what to do on that front but my monthly credit card bill is between 60-80% of my monthly salary ������
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If you feel like been a little more pro-active later on, maybe post up a statement of affairs so a plan of action can be decided ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • What is a statement of affairs please? Complete newbie here :o
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    What is a statement of affairs please? Complete newbie here :o

Hi.
    http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

You need to take time and sit down with all your letters, card statements, bank statements, pay slips, anything you have with your incomings and outgoings detailed on them. A SOA is a detailed report on what money you have coming in, and where it is going to, down to every last penny. A lot of people forget the odd few quid here and there that they spend on the way to work, buying a sandwich and coffee out, popping into a shop for a couple of items. All this needs to be logged.

When you have a clearer picture, post your SOA here and people can look over it and make suggestions about where you might cut down your expenditure so you can throw more at your debt.

This is going to be a big step for you if you have let things slide. The lesson to learn is that you can take control.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Thank you.

I will start with my bank statement I think as everything theoretically is in there (DDs etc) and then I pay for everything else by cc. I hardly ever use cash so hopefully I should have some kind of record of all income/expenditure.

I shall split into fixed and variable costs

I'm a little worried I am going to be judged! I earn a very good salary I just don't know why my expenses are so out of control!
  • A statement of affairs (SOA) is a list of all your incomings, outgoings and debts that should help you look at things more clearly. There's a link in the 'Debt Free Wannabe Sticky' post at the top of the channel. Fill it in and upload it here and the lovely people on this forum will be able to give you some advice on what to do next.

On a separate note, I hear ya when you say you feel like a passenger in life. I've felt like this for ages, even since starting my DMP, I've sort of expected things to just happen for me and not really taken as much responsibility of my life as I should have. That all changed when I had a second LBM the other weekend, when I realized I was never going to have the life I wanted or any resemblance of it if I didn't 'do' something more. For me, that something was telling my parents about my debt. I didn't expect them to help, but I needed to know that I'd given them the opportunity to, so that I could know I'd done everything in my power to get out of this awful situation and have the simple things that seemed so out of reach (owning a home, getting married, having children, finding a job I love instead of one that just pays the bills) - all of which is on hold until debts are cleared.

Afterwards, I was amazed at myself for taking the leap and being open with them. They gave me a bit of help, but I think waiting these 4 years and tackling it on my own made them more inclined to do so. They could see I had tried, and cleared more than £10k on my own. Of course, asking parents for help isn't possible for everyone and that's definitely not my advice here, what I'm saying is sometimes taking control and doing SOMETHING, even if it's risky and painful and embarrassing, really helps with the whole passenger feeling.

I hope you're ok today - come back and post an SOA so we can help! xx
    LBM August 2013 - debt: £27,181
    May 2017 - debt: £8,208
    DFD - December 2018 :j
  • Strategically you need to sit down for pow wow and identify your priorities.

If removing debt is priority then fripperies will have to go to the wall.

OD will be costing you more than you estimate as there are charges on top of interest.

Have a plan to eliminate the highest interest rates against each debt.

Maybe cut up and start cancelling cards once debt removed.

Reduce cost dramatically, you don't need us to tell you where to stop spending , you can work out this and plan for yourself.

Know where you are financially every day and to do this follow 3 simple steps (30:30:30)

1. 30 minutes ordering your annual/1/2 & 1/4ly bills . Calculate how much you need to accrue to pay these off when they are due and review this every time one of the bills comes to be paid.

2. 30 minutes a month reviewing your finances, what bills are coming up and can I get a better deal on when they mature (car ins, house ins, utilities etc)

3 Spend 30 seconds a day reconciling your bank account. This includes all expenditure you have made on that day through the account (cash w/d, switch, P@P, contactless and indeed all CC (if you don't then you won't have allocated the cash to pay this off once the bill arrives !)

(to do this you need to have a spreadsheet or pen and paper with a reconciled balance which takes into account all monthly SO/DD regular monthly payments plus the accrual you calculated in number 1 above.)

Really simple , no need for a YNAB (you need a budget , which loads people will tell you that you will need) which you have to pay for and you are on track of everything, make to a daily routine and make sure you review your spending to ensure you are not drifting/

But the most important thing is only spend on NEEDS not WANTS, and work out your behavioural triggers for spending (alluded in your post) and resolve how not to spend on WANTS,

Good luck
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2017 at 10:40AM
    Thank you.

I will start with my bank statement I think as everything theoretically is in there (DDs etc) and then I pay for everything else by cc. I hardly ever use cash so hopefully I should have some kind of record of all income/expenditure.

I shall split into fixed and variable costs

I'm a little worried I am going to be judged! I earn a very good salary I just don't know why my expenses are so out of control!

You won't be judged, everyone makes mistakes, but, if your SOA indicates that you are spending on what some people might call frivolous stuff, they will tell you. Such as Sky TV, posh phone on contract, £100 a month on clothes, £100 a week on entertainment.

Budgeting is all about priority, deciding what is important to you. Basically living beyond your means is not sustainable, there have to be cuts made which won't be very nice. But, the sooner you get your priorities in order the better. No use crying and stamping your feet, the reality is that you might need to cut down on some spending to give you cash to pay off your debts.

Cutting down sounds horrendous when you have been enjoying a fun life, but there is no reason why you cannot still have a fun life which doesn't cost so much. Substituting expensive entertainment with free entertainment. Good luck.

Ilona

PS. If you start taking control you won't be a passenger, you will be in the driving seat.
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    welcome to the boards and well done for making a decision to deal with your debts.

As Ilona has already said you won't be judged, but there people will point out where to save money so don't take it personally.

Complete the SOA and listen to the advice given, there are some truly amazing people on here who will really help given a chance

:)
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Remember that if you pay interest on a card that also pays you cashback, you negate the point of the cashback - so that might help with your decision.

As said above, the SOA is a vital first step as before you can do anything else you need to get a full picture of where you are financially, and from there, a working budget that you can learn to stick to, and make savings against as time goes on. It will also identify what spare money you should have at the end of each month - and assuming that you don't have that, you can then work to find out where that money is actually going!

You say about using the cards- and that a lot of household expenses are charged against them - beware of setting up recurring payments from cards - ideally stuff should be on Direct Debit/Standing order straight fro your bank account. Once your SOA is in place, and particularly as you say you have a good level of income, you may find it useful to set up a range of different savings accounts that you can budget money into for various things - we have these for holiday costs, car expenses, general household expenses (just £25 a month - which covers the annual cost of contents insurances plus little things like the kettle or the iron going wrong, and expenses that don't quite fit in with groceries like water filter cartridges etc. ) presents, and our entertainment budget as well. This means that when one of the cars needs taxed or insured, the money is already saved and ready - while the insurance might go on a card if there are no extra charges for that, it gets paid off again as soon as the bills arrive.

Personally I'd go through the cards one by one, and first off cut everything bar one up - you don;t need the cards themselves to pay the bills and this will help stop you using them while you're out. Maybe hold onto the one that pays cashback for now as an emergency measure.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business