Is this laptop any good?

I've heard there's problems with some HP laptops with W10 and wifi because the drivers aren;t brilliant or the components are too close to heat. Is this one okay:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-17-y054sa-17-3-laptop-silver-10146665-pdt.html

TIA

Comments

• John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I don't have a view about how well priced the laptop is - others will!

I was surprised that for a 17.3" screen they didn't give you a resolution of 1920x1080 but only 1600x900, and that there was no gigabit ethernet.

Whatever you do, do not fall for the offer "Save £60 off McAfee LiveSafe Security when you buy with any laptop"...
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    John_Gray wrote: »
    Whatever you do, do not fall for the offer "Save £60 off McAfee LiveSafe Security when you buy with any laptop"...

Best advice ever
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Do you want a 17inch display ?

15inch FHD 1920x1080 HP here from HP direct with 4gb ram and 500hdd but a superior processor £384.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/product.aspx?sel=NTB&id=W4N13EA&opt=ABU

or with SSD and 8gb ram £443:

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/2655253/HP-250-G5-Intel-Core-i5-6200U-15-6inch-FHD-anti-glare-1-x-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-DVD-SM-DL-Windows-10-Pro-DG-Windows-7-Professional-Laptop-Notebook-PC

I'd avoid AMD personally, it's ancient processor tech and a poor reputation for heat amongst other negatives.

Shop around, you'll find something somewhere or others here may spot a bargain for you.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    I would never buy a HP laptop, not after trying to repair one of their Pavilion (Dragon) laptops, it was just incredibly badly built, it took 4 hours to get the motherboard out, something I can do on a Thinkpad in less than 30 minutes.

Clearly designed to a budget and sold at a budget price, with no intention of them ever being servicable. I'd give em a few years at best before they need replacing, unlike my Thinkpads which will happily put in 10-15 years worth of service.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 5:52PM
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I would never buy a HP laptop, not after trying to repair one of their Pavilion (Dragon) laptops, it was just incredibly badly built, it took 4 hours to get the motherboard out, something I can do on a Thinkpad in less than 30 minutes.

Clearly designed to a budget and sold at a budget price, with no intention of them ever being servicable. I'd give em a few years at best before they need replacing, unlike my Thinkpads which will happily put in 10-15 years worth of service.

Personally I'm not keen on either of them (Lenovo or HP) thanks to their BIOS whitelisting policy and dreadful default wifi cards.

If you want serviceable these days buy an old Citroen 2CV as you can pretty much take the thing apart with a handful of tools. It's the way of the modern world, cost reduction, miniaturisation and built in obsolescence.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    John_Gray wrote: »
    I don't have a view about how well priced the laptop is - others will!

I was surprised that for a 17.3" screen they didn't give you a resolution of 1920x1080 but only 1600x900, and that there was no gigabit ethernet.

No, I'll stick to BitDefender and Shadow Defender and MBAM.
    Strider590 wrote: »

My 17" Compaq Presario is still going after over 6 years but getting slower. The only part I had to change was the Fujitsu hdd which I couldn't understand why HP installed it as it's reputation was that of crap. The keyboard wasn't lasered so some letters have faded to nothing too.
    Fightsback wrote: »
    Personally I'm not keen on either of them (Lenovo or HP) thanks to their BIOS whitelisting policy and dreadful default wifi cards.

If you want serviceable these days buy an old Citroen 2CV as you can pretty much take the thing apart with a handful of tools. It's the way of the modern world, cost reduction, miniaturisation and built in obsolescence.

The same as the VW Beetle. A simple car for the people. I used to work on cars 40+ years ago. I look under the bonnets of cars now and can't tell what's what.

Anyway thanks for replies.
  • I recently had the misfortune to have to replace a failed Fujitsu HDD in my brother's HP laptop which was under 6 months old. To be fair to HP, it was replaced with a Toshiba (AFAICR) by courier within 24 hours. I think they'd had a bad batch (more than usual) of Fujitsus at the time.

And what a PITA it was to replace. A 30 min job took about 2 hours, then I had to reinstall the OS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure