Anyone with a 25 year endowment which matured recently ?

Comments

• Scottish Amicable/Pru policy target amount approx 50k paid out 44k. Not as bad as I thought it may be
  • Hello. This is my first post, so here goes...
    Just had notification today of my Sun Life of Canada endowment that was for £5,000.00 after 23 years.I'll be getting around £ 3,340.00 at the end of January. This will work out at £856 more than I have paid in. I would be interested in what people on here think about this...Thank you in advance.
  • We too took out an endowment in March 1988 at £35 a month for £26315 with Scottish Amicable. Just had the details of the maturity sum of £22073.

Thankfully, paid off the mortgage years ago so the money is disposable income. However, can't help but feel a double disappoint, firstly, like previously mentioned, the under performance, (all reasons understood and excepted) and secondly, the policy was sold to the Pru, who's descretionary terminal bonus payments are, in my opinion, frugal, and the reason I did not take a policy out with them in the first place! Aaarrggghhhh! (Got that off my chest, Feel much better now!)
  • We also took out a 25 year endowment in March 1988, but with L&G. We paid £63.80 a month after a few years of a low-cost start. The target was at least £34,500 and just before Christmas we were told it 'could' pay £26,000 with a terminal bonus. We have since been told that the rate for a final bonus will be reviewed on the 21st February this year, just 7 days before our policy matures! The expectation is that the payout will decrease of course. Another post on MSE said another company's rate had recentlt reduced from 31% to 21%.
    I shall post my final figures in a few weeks. We never received anything for mis-selling because we started a few months earlier than regulation started.
  • BirnamBear
    BirnamBear Posts: 126 Forumite
    Original poster back on.One more payment then I'll get back to you with what I got.
    Bumped this back to the top just to see if anyone else has had a policy mature recently.
    12 panels south facing,8 panels south-east facing,4KWP system,pitch 40 degrees,Aurora inverter & location is sunny Glasgow.
  • bobzilla
    bobzilla Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March 2013 at 3:32PM
    Our 25 year Aviva NU "Low start" policy started Mar 1988 and was expected to make £30,000. The latest estimate of maturity value next week is £23,100 (Sum Assured £10.3k + bonuses to date £6.4k + Aviva's "Promise" £4.5k + Final Bonus £1.9k = £23.1k).

Premiums started at £30pm rising to £60pm over 5 years, thus averaging £56pm overall and the
    £30,000 joint life cover included would now cost £11pm (2 lives, M:43 F:36, at start).

Back in March 2007 we complained without success and were offered £15,600 on the market. We kept on paying and appear to have covered the extra premiums.

However, with annual bonuses of only £30pa for each of the last 10 years (down from £550pa at the start) and a shortfall of £6,900 it seems a pretty bad outcome. How does it look to others?
  • eaustin
    eaustin Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Took out an endowment in March 1988 at £43 per month for £35,000 with Scottish Amicable. I have just received my letter with a settlement figure of £29,356 a shortfall of £5,644. Could have been worse and I have been providing for the shortfall for the last few years.
  • janedoe_3
    janedoe_3 Posts: 148 Forumite
    Our policy matures in May this year and we have just had the estimated amount they are going to be pay out just short of £30000, does anyone know do we have to pay tax on this and if we do what the percentage is?
  • BirnamBear
    BirnamBear Posts: 126 Forumite
    Original poster of thread back on.I just phoned Scottish Widows and they told me that I will receive £26,500 in May for my 40k endowment.
    Quite disappointed to be honest.
    12 panels south facing,8 panels south-east facing,4KWP system,pitch 40 degrees,Aurora inverter & location is sunny Glasgow.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    janedoe wrote: »
    Our policy matures in May this year and we have just had the estimated amount they are going to be pay out just short of £30000, does anyone know do we have to pay tax on this and if we do what the percentage is?
    It depends. Is it a qualifying policy?

If it is, no income tax is payable.

If it isn't, you may be liable to income tax.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback