Benefits to be replaced by loans!

Options

Comments

• annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Great idea! If only they could backdate it. To be fair if people have to repay loans to get a education why should they not repay loans for when they where sitting on there backside!!

You don't sit on your backside on certain benefits. There's a 35 hour a week jobsearch attached to Jsa and universal credit and many people on UC work
    Do it for all benefits and strip all assets if they die.

Too many free loaders in this country. I am a bit grumpy after doing a 55 hour week to pay for others!

There are also too many judgemental people on boards like this and it states clearly on the top of these boards that people post for advice and not to be judged.

I worked for 25 years full time. Ive worked part time and zero hours as well, Ive certainly contributed plenty in tax over the years. So in any short period where I have had to claim benefits, Ive done so knowing that I've paid far more into the system than I have ever taken back out.

There are people on universal credit who already have to repay loans. Hardship payments are now loans.

It must be great to post from the viewpoint of someone who is never ever going to be unemployed.
  • annandale
    Options
    Do you really think that people will work hard, in difficult circumstances ,perhaps after years of training (eg surgeon, soldier) while others have the same income for easy jobs (eg greeting people at a hotel's reception)and yet others,who are fit and healthy, choose not to work at all ?

I don't think that people on universal income get the same income irrespective of what they do, people are more likely to get a basic income on top of their salary, not to replace it, from the studies Ive seen.

Universal basic income gives people a basic income if they work and also if they don't I believe. It is not a fortune.

It gives someone a small income without the need to jobsearch and before anyone suggest thats just being paid to sit on your backside. It removes the stress from being on benefits such as universal credit.

I'm certainly not choosing not to work. In fact I am trying very hard to get a job that isn't zero hours (because thats all Ive been offered in the last year and nowhere near enough hours to live on).

I've been on universal credit since the end of January. Ive had a letter from my landlord threatening me with eviction every month for the last 8 months because UC is paid in arrears. I've been threatened with sanctions on more than one occasion, once for not applying for enough jobs in a week (I applied for several), the latest sanction I got threatened with was because I have to have a CV on my UJM account, the DWP use windows 7 and my CV was stretched across the screen as I use 10. It's pretty much a double whammy. Constantly threatened with sanctions and constantly threatened with eviction. I ended up so stressed (at a time when a relative was very ill), I ended up with a skin condition.

I was told to fix this CV issue or face action (sanction) and that was written on my client commitment form.
    and yet others,who are fit and healthy, choose not to work at all ?

I know very few people who fall into this category, if you are on UC you have to look for work, you have to jobsearch up to 35 hours a week. You have to be able to evidence this and if you get a job interview through the job centre they can check that you have gone and ask for feedback on your interview.

I've seen a few people on these boards lately talk about people on benefits sitting doing nothing, it's clear to me that they haven't been on them for a long time.
  • Carrieanne
    Options
    Benefit claimants have been stigmatised for years and the propaganda has been so successful it's resulted in a bun fight between claimants who feel more entitled than other claimants. Actually, many of them (recipients of Working Tax Credit and the State Pension being at the fore) like to pretend their benefit isn't a benefit at all.
  • annandale
    edited 15 October 2017 at 5:09PM
    Options
    Benefit claimants have been stigmatised for years and the propaganda has been so successful it's resulted in a bun fight between claimants who feel more entitled than other claimants. Actually, many of them (recipients of Working Tax Credit and the State Pension being at the fore) like to pretend their benefit isn't a benefit at all.

Or people who work describing people on benefits. On another thread on the board today its been said that people on benefits have iphones, drive cars, smoke and drink beer.

I get 321 a month on universal credit, no in work allowance as I have no kids and 63p from every pound I earn is deducted as soon as I earn a pound in eanrings.

I really would like people to see what its like being on UC, the pressure you are put under to find work, the constant threat of sanctions, of eviction from your landlord as well at the same time.

This includes people who work as well, because anyone who isnt earniing 35 hours a week x nmw can claim UC.

Id love to see these people running a home and living the high life on 321 a month because I'm certainly not doing that.

There are also people on UC who live on less than 321 as they may not get their full rent covered, people with a spare bedroom may not always get DHP (they do in Scotland). There are people living on 40-50 pounds a week after rent is paid out. I defy anyone to be fit, healthy and not want to work under those circumstances.
  • Carrieanne
    Options
    Channel 5 have been in the vanguard of portraying claimants as ne'r-do-wells via a whole raft of programming that it broadcasts and repeats endlessly on My5, 5Star, etc. The majority of the people they feature are either low IQ, inarticulate or both, and the footage and narration is cleverly edited to annoy viewers. Their favourite trick is to show someone who claims to be skint then cutting to a fag smouldering between their fingers or an ashtray full of stubs. The idea is to falsely convey to the viewer that those wholly or substantially reliant on benefits are equally !!!!less and/or inadequate.
  • trigger_fish
    trigger_fish Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Carrieanne wrote: »
    Channel 5 have been in the vanguard of portraying claimants as ne'r-do-wells via a whole raft of programming that it broadcasts and repeats endlessly on My5, 5Star, etc. The majority of the people they feature are either low IQ, inarticulate or both, and the footage and narration is cleverly edited to annoy viewers. Their favourite trick is to show someone who claims to be skint then cutting to a fag smouldering between their fingers or an ashtray full of stubs. The idea is to falsely convey to the viewer that those wholly or substantially reliant on benefits are equally !!!!less and/or inadequate.

Its like Jeremy Kyle.

The same people are regurgitated time and time again painting a false picture.
  • annandale
    edited 15 October 2017 at 5:51PM
    Options

I have a degree and two post grads. I am still struggling to find work that isn't zero hours. I was self employed for 7 years but when I left a self employed job with a company because I wasnt making enough money, I didn't want to go back to what I was doing self employed before that, I need a job that pays me a set wage.

It was suggested to me the other day by someone that I walk across continents to find a job like some people do.

It was also suggested that I live in the sticks because I said where I live around 100 people apply for every vacancy. Someone even went as far as to do a jobsearch for me around the Glasgow area and told me that there were 3000 jobs being advertised on one site for Glasgow

Which is absolutely fair enough, but that assumes I'm qualified for every job that would be posted on that site.

Ive also had people disbelieve how many people are chasing certain jobs. I was offered a job last year, part time. At interview they pretty much offered me full time on the spot.

By the time I was to get a letter offering me the job, it had turned into zero hours and 92 people had applied for that job.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Do you really think that people will work hard, in difficult circumstances ,perhaps after years of training (eg surgeon, soldier) while others have the same income for easy jobs (eg greeting people at a hotel's reception)and yet others,who are fit and healthy, choose not to work at all ?

You are missing the point all a universal income would do is do away with all benefits and tax allowances, those who can earn more will still do so whilst those who can't work will have a single guaranteed income of £x the savings would be immense and if someone who was working full time earned more than £220 a week they would lose all their tax allowance which would be made up by universal income which today would be around £240 a week. It would also encourage everybody to save what they could and not lose benefits and completely do away with benefit fraud.
    Think about it
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2017 at 11:28PM
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    Or people who work describing people on benefits. On another thread on the board today its been said that people on benefits have iphones, drive cars, smoke and drink beer.

I get 321 a month on universal credit, no in work allowance as I have no kids and 63p from every pound I earn is deducted as soon as I earn a pound in eanrings.

I really would like people to see what its like being on UC, the pressure you are put under to find work, the constant threat of sanctions, of eviction from your landlord as well at the same time.

This includes people who work as well, because anyone who isnt earniing 35 hours a week x nmw can claim UC.

Id love to see these people running a home and living the high life on 321 a month because I'm certainly not doing that.

Whilst you're quite right Annadale (and I sympathise as I have helped both JSA & UC claimants pro bono), sadly that claim is also true.

Indeed on walking past the local JCP last week, I saw a claimant doing just that: smoking, on his mobile then he got into his (not old) car. Yes I realise it may mean he's a fraudster, but the stereotypes do exist for a reason.

Indeed it's why working class people have harsher views on welfare in polls - because they often live next to people who are defrauding the system. Although thankfully there was a crackdown on mobility cars and those claiming to be single mothers (and claiming the council tax discount) but clearly living with the father of their children.

Even the Rightsnet forum - on a discussion re I Daniel Blake - showed that welfare rights advisors thought it was an unrealistic idealistic 1945 version of deserving claimants and they also realise for every 4 or 5 hardship cases, there is sadly also the claimant with two mobile 'phones with no intention of working (or rather other than in the black or criminal economy).
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Its like Jeremy Kyle.

The same people are regurgitated time and time again painting a false picture.

But again, it isn't a false picture. You can argue it's unrepresentative certainly, but those people do all exist. It's sadly that they tend to often live in the same areas (B&Bs, rundown coastal resorts, inner cities and outer council estates), so people either won't know anyone like that or will recognise rather a lot!

Indeed the cross breaks from a poll earlier in the year showed that even unemployed claimants believed some benefits were too generous, whereas the only group to complain that welfare cuts were their main concern were 2% of ABs (professionals etc)

Sadly it tends to be out-of-touch middle class MPs claiming to talk on behalf of working class people who say there must be no cuts to welfare.

Indeed in the thankfully only 6 week period I have ever claimed JSA 15 years ago (so only involving 4 visits to the local JCP), I overheard a drug dealer and a benefit fraudster openly discussing their 'other work' whilst waiting to sign(!)

Yes, it's wrong to tar all claimants as !!!!less; but, it's equally wrong to somehow pretend that all are genuine in the way they may have been at the inception of the welfare State.

Sadly, I think we all recognise that there has been a decline in standards and society over the past 50 years. We'll probably all cite differing causes for this, but it is borne out in various surveys, as well as recorded statistics covering everything from bogus insurance claims to ASBOs.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure