Is there a way to help my mum?!!

Options
My mum was guarantor for my sister on a car years ago. At this stage my sister was able to keep up repayments on the car and my mum (stupidly) trusted her to continue this. Since then my sister has got rid of this car and has got another one.

My mum has been receiving letters from bailiffs advising her that payments have not been made and they will be coming to her to recover the debt. Unbeknown to my mum, she is now guarantor on this new car. Every time she calls the lenders she is unable to access the account as she does not have the password. She has only found out this week that she is guarantor for new car and has had no correspondence of payments not being made.

As you can imagine, this is very distressing for my mum. She is receiving in excess of three calls a day and is terrified of answering her own door. My sister is not one you can just have a discussion with about this. She has told mum she is going to sort it, which I don't believe. I feel that she has changed the password because she is hiding from my mum that this new car is under her guarantor agreement.

I have advised my mum to get the password and request copies of all correspondence that has been sent to my sister as she only agreed to be guarantor on the first car. Then to set up a second password with the lender should sister change password again.

My mum has bailed my sister out before and as a result has no savings. Now her credit rating is long gone because my sister has been defaulting. They can't move because there is no way they will get a mortgage. They aren't in the best of health as it is and this is going to make my mum seriously ill!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!! I'm at a loss of what more I can do!!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Report her to the police as far as I know you cannot be a guarantor on a new loan without your consent.
    That should get them off your back for the new car but I'm afraid the old loan will still be guaranteed.
  • Gambler101
    Gambler101 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    Your mum needs to start making the repayments as she promised to do when signing to be a guarantor.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Which lender is this with?

If we know a little more, we may be able to find out how/why this has been transferred to a new vehicle.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Handelasol
    Options
    As far as I know, the car on which she was guarantor for has been paid and its the new car that my sister is defaulting on.
    My mum had no idea that she was also guarantor for this car.
  • Handelasol
    Options
    I will find out and let you know. My mum has not agreed to guarantor for the second car. My sister is very secretive and very selective about what she is telling my mum and has clearly changed the password on the account so my mum can't call the company and therefore has absolutely no idea what's going on.
    My plan of action so far is to try and get my mum access to the account so we can get a copy of everything and go from there but the lenders aren't budging on the password. If I have to make a payment in the interim to keep them sweet, I will but that is about as much as I can do at present.

My sister's credit is horrendous, as you may well guess from this. There is no way she would get any kind of finance without a guarantor - my mum would never have agreed to another one because her financial circumstances changed so other than some kind of fraud, I have no idea how this has happened.

I will let you know more as soon as I do. Thank you
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does your mum have the original paperwork from the loan she was guarantor on? You need to check the account numbers and establish whether this is the same loan or not. Any letter calling in any guarantee should have an account number on.

If its a different account number then your mum needs to inform the lender she has not agreed to be guarantor on any new loan and tell them she considers it fraud. Then report the fraud to the police.

If it is the same account number it is much more complicated. Its possible the original car was traded in and the loan extended. In that case your mum absolutely needs a copy of the original paperwork to see what it says about such a situation.

Do not pay anything towards this loan at this point. Get the paperwork first.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Handelasol
    Options
    Thank you, that's really helpful
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your mother should have absolutely no qualms about dropping your sister in it and if your sister ends up losing her car, having bailiffs take stuff away, an attachment of earnings order or being bankrupted then so be it. At some point she has to face the consequences of her actions, something she doesn't have to do whilst mum continually bails her out.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope you get it sorted OP, it's not right what she did but hopefully you can ease some of the pressure on your mum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure