small toy and resource distribution

Hi,
I've been a childminder and have run my own childminding business for a few years. I've recently begun selling new toys and resources that we use in the setting locally online as a little sideline that utilises my knowledge of the curriculum and child development and helps parents etc. choose gifts that complement stages of development. This has proved to be popular initially and so I would like to continue to develop this. I've been looking at product insurance as although the toys I sell are not manufactured by me and come from a wholesaler in the EU, I have since learned that I wouldn't be covered if there were an issue with a product and would be considered as liable as the manufacturer.

I'd also like to look at extended my range at a later date to laminated home-made resources so these would in fact be classed as manufactured by myself.

I've been checking online for quotes for insurance to see if this is worth pursuing, but many places will not offer anything resembling a quote online, I'm presuming because the products are toys. I would only be looking to sell online or via the odd school fair etc. but trying to do the research now while I am on maternity leave.

Does anyone have any experience of the insurance side of it? Ideally I could do with one provider that would cover PLI for my childminding and product LI for my resources side of it. (I already have PLI for the childminding) but also something that doesn't cost the Earth while I start slowly, the only quote I've been able to gain after an hour's google search was for £178 for a year. I intend to call a few providers when I get rare child-free moment (I am positive they have a 6th sense for when I am on the phone and really ramp up the crazy! lol) but I guess I just wanted some advice as to whether the quote above was realistic etc. before I get put on hold with several companies and then given the hard-sell. Tia

Comments

• This isn't something you're going to be able to get a quote for online - the online co's only deal with large numbers of broadly similar risks (car insurance, house insurance)

So - phone is the way to go. I have no knowledge of this particular type of risk, but Hiscox are good for liability insurance in general.

Or speak to a broker.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • thank you.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Start by speaking to your childminding insurance and see if that can be extended?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I've just got product liability insurance through direct line. Tower gate have been good in the past also.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Thank you! My homework for this week! :-) x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport