Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary

Comments

• Just subscribed.. I find if, more likely, when we are having a tight month the food budget is where we can generally pull it back the most. This month we are going on holiday and i'm trying to spend as little as poss to add a bit more to the holiday spends kitty... 3 no spend days, and at least another 3 in next 12 days... Subscribing and looking forward to seeing how you get on x
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks kittychick, lovely to see you.
  • missymoo81
    edited 12 August 2017 at 7:14AM
    Day 2

Morning! Gosh I can talk, page 2 already

Couldn't sleep last night as bad so many thoughts in my head! Rather tired this morning! But onwards and upwards. Ok important jobs for today.
    Pick apples before they all fall off!
    Apply for CC
    Apply for tax refund to go in bank
    Put clean washing away!
    Wash bedding
    Change all beds
    More washing!
    Tidy kitchen, it's so messy it's not even funny!

Food for today will be:
    Breakfast
    Tea and cereal for small ones with banana and apple
    Tea and toast for me
    Lunch
    Sandwiches for small ones
    Chia pudding for me and protein shake
    Dinner
    HM pizza for dinner.

Having to think long and hard about what I'm eating rather than just grabbing something and gobbling it up. As it could always be used in a meal.

The case of the missing toothbrush continues! I can understand where it has got to!
  • missymoo81
    edited 12 August 2017 at 8:31AM
    Gosh this takes a lot of organisation. I have taken to counting slices of bread and biscuits in packets to see how long they will last :o

Have checked and I don't think I have enough marg to last the week so going to cut out mince and make a veggie Bolognese with lentils that I have loads of instead. Not sure how it will be but we shall see! Maybe if it's done in the slow cooker it will be tastier. That's a job for next week. Will post amended shopping list in a bit. Need another coffee first!
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you can't be bothered with EBay and you use Facebook- use the local free selling sites on there. Much easier - and cheaper than eBay.

I've sold tons of stuff via Facebook- a shoe cupboard, tumble dryer, DVD player and speakers, 2 kids portable DVD players and a table and 4 chairs - all collected by they people that bought them. I even delivered the DVD players for an extra £3 petrol money. Ebay is such a faff and they charge so much now in fees.

Take some photos and get posting!!
  • missymoo81
    Thanks Louby, great idea but not on Facebook! I know, probably the only person in the world:D:rotfl::o! But I have sold on gumtree, so will try that along side. It's mostly clothes to be honest. It just takes so long to photograph and then post. But my aim is to do ten things by the time the weekend is over.
  • missymoo81 wrote: »
    Gosh this takes a lot of organisation. I have taken to counting slices of bread and biscuits in packets to see how long they will last :o

Have checked and I don't think I have enough marg to last the week so going to cut out mince and make a veggie Bolognese with lentils instead. Not sure how it will be but we shall see! Maybe if it's done in the slow cooker it will be tastier. That's a job for next week. Will post amended shopping list in a bit. Need another coffee first!

Following you on your journey.....

You sound very organised - my house is also a mess and I hate it but I still don't do much about it!!

With the veggie Bolognese I find doing it in a saucepan is best but to get some added taste I add a squirt of BBQ sauce/HP sauce/balsamic vinegar - can you tell I just grab condiments from the cupboard and chuck it in:rotfl:
  • missymoo81
    Hi EE! Thanks so much for stopping by! Oooh thank you for the tip on the Bolognese! I guess it would taste nicer with the onions fried off first. Will def try your condiment suggestion!
  • missymoo81
    Ah ok this is going to be harder than I thought. Have run out of fresh milk. Have 1litre of oat milk but that won't last too long. So small ones will be having toast instead of cereal today. Just counted the slices of bread, yes it has got to that point. There are 23 slices, so 7 will be used For breakfast 4 for lunch, which leaves me 12, so 11 again tomorrow and cereal hopefully on Monday.
    Have also just realised guests gobbled up quite a few biscuits yesterday! The little ones have a biscuit every morning with their tea, so need to make sure I have 14 of them, as didn't intend on buying them this week!!!!! Also have run out of marmite!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::o This is major! I eat it daily! I buy the cheaper Tesco version but still!!!!! I need to cut this weeks budget somehow to make room for that! Does anyone know if aldi sell their own brand of it? This is so much harder than I thought!:eek:
  • Have you checked for things like teabags too? Washing powder etc. What dry goods do you have? If you have rice then you can make rice milk for example. Have you got chickpeas and oil? Can make suggestions if we have a better idea of stores.

Can you swap the fresh veg for a big bag of mixed frozen to free up a little more cash?

Could you add some grated carrot to the lentils for the bolognese? Also applies if you manage to stretch to the mince.

I'd be freezing the fruit to use after 23rd rather than tie the sugar up in jam, or if no freezer could you stew some of the fruit to eat for breakfasts as it uses less sugar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure