The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Santander Repossession and Eviction fees

Santander got a Repossession order in February 2017. In April 2017 I got home from work to find I'd been evicted and locks had been changed.
The circumstances that led to that point are lengthy but genuine (posted elsewhere under "Santander Repossession".
I put in application to have Repossession set aside and I won so eviction order was overturned too. The judge based his decision on that if I had attended court in February I would have been successful in winning Santanders application for possession.
As at the date of the hearing the total amount of arrears was in the region of £2,100 however well over 50% of this is made up of eviction charges and fees.
My question is Am I pushing my luck now trying to reclaim these charges in particular the ones from Feb 2017 when Santander first applied for passion?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Janejh wrote: »
    My question is Am I pushing my luck now trying to reclaim these charges in particular the ones from Feb 2017 when Santander first applied for passion?
    You can try "pushing your luck" for "passion" ( ;) ), but whether you'll be successful is an entirely different question.

On what basis do you propose to demand a refund of these charges, given you continue in arrears despite not being repossessed ?
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    I put in application to have Repossession set aside and I won so eviction order was overturned too. The judge based his decision on that if I had attended court in February I would have been successful in winning Santanders application for possession.

What were the grounds for repossession, and did the ( 2nd ) judge explain how you being there would have helped ?

The Minister of State for Justice, Sir Oliver Heald QC, told me that :
    "Interpretation of the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR), is entirely a matter for the judges. The position is that all judges must follow the law (the procedural rules) which Parliament has approved. However, the rules do not provide an absolutely rigid procedure to be followed in every case and there are elements within the procedural rules that allow judges to exercise some discretion. This is necessary because no two cases will ever be the same and trying to apply a completely rigid regime despite these differences would inevitably lead to unfairness. Judges are case managers under the CPR and their case management powers are governed mainly by rules under Part 3 of the CPR and also by the overriding objective of all rules set out in Part 1.”

This suggests that any decision by a judge could be regarded as correct.
    Can you share your Application and the Judgment ? Might be helpful for others.

Thanks
  • Janejh
    Janejh Posts: 34
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 17 June 2017 at 10:45PM
    Happy to share my application and judgement (when it arrives).
    I was represented at the last minute by a Shelter advisor - who was brilliant. She told me initially that I only had a very slim chance of getting anywhere because eviction had already taken place so my circumstances were exceptionally unusual. She said after I'd won that my case could set a precedent.

Grounds for Repossession were arrears.
    2nd Judge said that it would've helped being at the first hearing because 1. The arrears were low and I could pay them in full. 2. Good equity in the property 3. Exceptional circumstances in which I got into arrears. If the first judge had know this he/she would have denied Santander their application and ruled in my favour and therefore the eviction wouldn't have taken place.

I will post more details soon. I'm using my phone to post at the moment and it's not easy typing a lot on a mini keyboard. When I get judgement in black and white in the post I will post.
  • Janejh
    Janejh Posts: 34
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 June 2017 at 6:00AM
    Geoff1963.

Application was to set aside the possession order dated 21 Feb 2017 which if successful would cancel the eviction.

I applied to have the repossession set aside and my hearing was 13th June 2017.

The Order Reads:

IT IS ORDERED THAT

1. The possession order dated 21st February 2017 is set aside.
    2. The Claimant (Santander) has permission to appeal on the issue of whether an application to
    set aside made after the execution of a warrant can properly be considered to have been
    made promptly.
    3. The Claimant's (Santander) claim for possession is adjourned generally with liberty to restore.

The permission to appeal was discussed between Santander's agent and the judge at my hearing and the judge felt that if they did appeal I was still likely to be successful.

Initially the agent for Santander said he had been instructed to appeal if the court hearing didn't go in favour of Santander. The judge had a reasonably lengthy discussion about this with Agent and each time the agent raised a new reason for appeal the Judge gave a reason for them not being successful. The agent left the hearing a little long faced!!!

I don't know if they will be appealing but if they do I will be ready for them. I will certainly be back in touch with the lady from Shelter who was absolutely brilliant. So if anyone out ther is being threatened by repossession please, please don't do what I did and ignore it. Get in touch with your local Shelter office and ask for help - its free too.
  • Matador777
    Matador777 Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2017 at 10:26PM
    Scamtander they don't lend money they advance credit, the bank doesn't own the mortgages. The mortgages are sold to private investors. Once sold the bill is paid. The borrower doesn't owe a penny.
    The bank is just a collector
    They have committed fraud. I know this sounds silly.
    You can claim back every penny you've paid to date. Solicitors barristers don't know this.
    Contact me I will show you all the proof.

I'm the Matador777, fighting the Spanish Bull! The bull has sold his horns and on his last legs.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,681
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Matador777 wrote: »
    I know this sounds silly.
    You got one bit right :rotfl:
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Contact me I will show you all the proof.

Why not show us all?
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

I'm the Matador777, fighting the Spanish Bull! The bull has sold his horns and on his last legs.

The only word that matters in Matador's post!
  • It wont let me post links or ppt screenshot. Dont make comments before seeing the evidence!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,861
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    It wont let me post links or ppt screenshot. Dont make comments before seeing the evidence!

You can't post links directly as a new user. You can post the links with extra spaces and people will be able to work out your link.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure