PeachPickle's DFW Diary

Comments

• PeachPickle
    PeachPickle Posts: 9,924 Forumite
    Thanks scottish and ldj1.I think to be safe I'll whack a tenner back into each account for the time being!
    DFW Nerd #104 I :heartpuls my Kitten :)and my hat :heartpuls
    OD Girls on Tour 08 - Barcelona - HUGE SUCCESS!
    OD Girls on Tour 09 - Dublin - November!!
    If you believe you can achieve innit!
    Sexy beer?
  • PeachPickle
    ZTD wrote:
    Or ASBO'ed. For "random yelpy noises". I like that phrase. The "random yelpy noise" ASBO.

I'll get the first one and be featured in The Sun no doubt :rolleyes:

ZTD wrote:
    It is possible to replace the disk. (approx £60 for 2-3 times the capacity) However this depends on a number of things:

Is it a standard disk like this -> toshiba-laptop-disk.jpg

Does it use the FAT32 filesystem? (Most disks come preformatted like this) Or if not, is there an option on your MP3 player to format the disk?

Does it store its firmware on the disk? You may have to re-download the firmware onto it.

The other solution is to buy a cheap (<£20) solid-state mp3 player and accept you have to change your songs more often - or be discriminating.

Oh yeah, I totally understand all that. Every word. Yup.

There is def an option to reformat, no idea about the firmware (huh?) unless you mean the transferey software, in which case I have a disc

Shall I take it to a Sony shop, see what they say?
    Sexy beer?
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Oh yeah, I totally understand all that. Every word. Yup.

Weeeellll (in my best Jeremy Pacman impression), first of all have it taken apart and check that the disk inside is like the picture above. WARNING: DON'T TOUCH ANY OF THE CIRCUIT BOARDS WITH YOUR FINGERS. If it isn't like the disk above, then all bets are off, and you'll have to take it to the Sony Centre (where they'll charge you 10p less than buying a new one).

If there is someone technical where you work, then for a kind word, a smile and at the very last resort the promise of a cup of tea, they may take it apart for you and confirm that it is a 2.5" laptop hard disk. Smile winningly at them, and they may do the following...

Once you've done that - do you have access to a laptop? If you do, then...
    1. Download this (The ISO image)
    2. Burn it to a CDROM
    3. Swap hard disks - put your Sony into your laptop - warning the HDs may have a shroud over the pins, which you will have to swap - do it CAREFULLY - don't bend the pins too much.
    4. Boot from CDROM with Sony hard disk in your laptop

I'm betting at this point your hard disk is goosed, and your laptop will tell you this. If it doesn't complain, go into the HD utilities and run a full (surface) scan on it.

If it comes out fine from that, then the good news is that you now have a spare laptop hard disk. The bad news is that your Sony is now called Donald.
    There is def an option to reformat, no idea about the firmware (huh?) unless you mean the transferey software, in which case I have a disc

The firmware is the software that controls the functions - i.e. plays when you press play. 99.9% of the time it is in hardware, but it may be that your player reads it from the disk. You can cross that bridge when you come to it.
    Shall I take it to a Sony shop, see what they say?

You can try it, but get a quote before they do anything. Also, if they say it's completely dead - then get all the bits back. Cynical moi?

And no, I don't do this sort of stuff for a living. Oh dear me no.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Hey Peach,

Off topic a bit - but have you heard from CAFCGirl recently?

scottishspendaholic x
    MBNA = £4,000 / Next = £925 (approx. tbc on 19/8)
    Tesco = £2,910.11 / Smile overdraft = £500
    Bank of Scotland = £2,782.83
  • PeachPickle
    ZTD wrote:
    If there is someone technical where you work, then for a kind word, a smile and at the very last resort the promise of a cup of tea, they may take it apart for you and confirm that it is a 2.5" laptop hard disk. Smile winningly at them, and they may do the following...

Aaaaah, now you're talking my language! My boss is fairly nifty with his hands, I'll ask him if he'd have a look at it. I do have a laptop I can use. Well, my brother has borrowed it indefinitely, so he can give it back! I've printed out the wordy stuff you wrote!

Thanks for all your help, you've been ace :T

I hope you realise that I'll now pester you with anything remotely technical. Mwahahaha
    Sexy beer?
  • PeachPickle
    Hey Peach,

Off topic a bit - but have you heard from CAFCGirl recently?

scottishspendaholic x

Y'know, I was wondering that about twenty minutes ago! Did she have a second interview booked for Wed? I think she did. I'm gonna hunt down her diary and see!
    Sexy beer?
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Aaaaah, now you're talking my language! My boss is fairly nifty with his hands,

! :eek: ! :eek: ! :eek: ! :eek: ! :eek: ! :eek: ! :eek: ! :eek: ! :eek:

I've known a few bosses who were fairly nifty with their hands...
    Thanks for all your help, you've been ace :T

No problem.
    I hope you realise that I'll now pester you with anything remotely technical. Mwahahaha

Yeah, like you'd be unique.... :rotfl:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • PeachPickle
    ZTD wrote:
    I've known a few bosses who were fairly nifty with their hands...

How'd ya think I got my payrise ;)

ZTD wrote:
    Yeah, like you'd be unique.... :rotfl:

You want to try working for an Optician. Elderly relatives ringing up at all hours

"oooh Noel's gone blurry, has my prescription changed?"
    "no gran, put your glasses back on"
    Sexy beer?
  • PeachPickle
    Attention please!

Not only is it payday today (wooh!) but I had a scary big brown envelope awaiting me when I got home that I thought could only contain my exam results...

I opened it, and it did contain my exam results....

*cue tension music*

I passed, with 97% in the first paper and 96% in the second :D:D :j :j I'm truly staggered at the result for the second paper, I seemed to be feeling my way in the dark for most of it, but YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

One more year to go!

Moneywise - haven't actually spent any. On payday! Shocking behaviour. Most of my dds and stuff come out next week, so I'll be updating my targets. Bet you can't wait... :D
    Sexy beer?
  • I passed, with 97% in the first paper and 96% in the second :D:D :j :j I'm truly staggered at the result for the second paper, I seemed to be feeling my way in the dark for most of it, but YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Absolutely brilliant news Peach! I hope you are having a drink tonight to celebrate!

What are you studying?

I'm so pleased for you - well done!

scottishspendaholic x
    MBNA = £4,000 / Next = £925 (approx. tbc on 19/8)
    Tesco = £2,910.11 / Smile overdraft = £500
    Bank of Scotland = £2,782.83
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family