Redundancy pay help

Good evening
I was made redundant at the start of last month with immediate effect due to the company closing down. My employer said there was no money to pay redundancy money that was due. I applied to the insolvency service but received a letter today saying they couldn't pay me as my employer isn't insolvent. If thats the case why is my employer saying he couldnt pay. Any ideas what I do now?
Thanks for any help. Its much appreciated.

Comments

• redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Pinkflower was you made redundant by the company or an Insolvency Practioner because if the company is still trading you will need to make a claim against the company.
    Its normal practice for an IP to give you documentation advising the company is ceasing to trade and its unable to make the redundancy payment you are entitled to, so then the government step in and make that payment on behalf of the company.
  • Thank you for replying, the company said they were going into liquidation and to apply to the insolvency service. I think it sounds like the company haven't appointed a liquidator as yet! Hopefully that happens soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure