husband made redundant

Hi my husband was made redundant on Thursday it came out of the blue. They called him into the office and said the big contract they had has fell through so they can no longer keep him! so he lost his job with immediate effect! we have a mortgage and a 10 month old baby and currently get help with our nursery costs and 80.00 a month for her i think one is working tax credits and one is child benefit. I could be wrong as i have never claimed anything before having a baby! does my husband have rights as an employee e.g do they have to give him notice or is what they done correct. Also what help are we entitled to?
Please help me

Comments

• It sounds like the proper redundancy procedure hasn't been followed. See link for more info about redundancy rights - which will depend on how long he has worked there. Make sure he gets all the money due to him including any holiday pay and pay in lieu of notice. If he has a written contract of employment check that out in case it has more generous redundancy arrangements than the legal minimum.

He should sign on for jobseekers allowance, and you'll need to let the tax credits people know your circumstances have changed.

Are you working?
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    How long has he been working for them?
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Hi my husband was made redundant on Thursday it came out of the blue. They called him into the office and said the big contract they had has fell through so they can no longer keep him! so he lost his job with immediate effect! we have a mortgage and a 10 month old baby and currently get help with our nursery costs and 80.00 a month for her i think one is working tax credits and one is child benefit. I could be wrong as i have never claimed anything before having a baby! does my husband have rights as an employee e.g do they have to give him notice or is what they done correct. Also what help are we entitled to?
    Please help me

Hi

if your husband has worked for 2 years or more he will be entitled to redundancy pay. Also since redundancy is a form of dismissal certain procedures need to have been followed in selecting your husband for redundancy otherwise potentially a claim for unfair dismissal arises. However before you even comtemplate going down this route you should get advice from your local CAb to see if is possible to submit an appeal ( and therefore retain his job ) Your husband should therefore take his contract of employment to the nearest office for advice in person. If the redundancy stands he would be entiled to pay in lieu of notice and accrued holiday pay ( and reduancy pay if he qualifies )

For more information on these issues follow the link below to the CAB website - Adviceguide and section on redundancy

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_work_comes_to_an_end_e/work_redundancy_e.htm

Your local bureau could also explain what benefits your family may be eligible for. In brief he may be eligible for Jobseekers allowance and you both might be eligible for Council Tax benefit. See your situation after redundancy on adviceguide for more info as you must meet the rules of entitlement for these benefits
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure