Boss requesting to give personal data to third party

Comments

• borderline
    borderline Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    AP007 wrote: »
    So they want to safeguard THEIR system

I guess they have their rights to ask or you can not do your job

is there a way that I can say no? any data protection act? any law?
    this is not my money... why would I have to share my details with them?
  • Jamie_Carter
    Jamie_Carter Posts: 5,282 Forumite
    borderline wrote: »
    but my question is... can I refuse to do it? can I say no to my boss? saying that I don't want this other company keep my personal details?
    is there a law about this?:smiley:

Yes you do have the right to say no. But you also have to consider how much use you will be as an employee if you can't do your job the way they want you to do it. Which is why I suggested you get a CRB check instead.
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    is there a way that I can say no? any data protection act? any law?
    this is not my money... why would I have to share my details with them?
    because if you have to access this acct as part of you job and its their system then I guess you have to
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Yes you do have the right to say no. But you also have to consider how much use you will be as an employee if you can't do your job the way they want you to do it. Which is why I suggested you get a CRB check instead.
    Will a CRB check allow this company to set the OP up on their system?

If the company have a procedure they are only doing what they normally do, surely
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • borderline
    edited 16 April 2013 at 9:29PM

I've never done a CRB... how can do it myself? they won't accept it, they want a copy of my passport sent to them, am I allowed to send this CRB instead? is there a fee for this?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Ask them which details they need off the passport.

The main purpose is an ID check, yes this is the person and that only needs the photo to be certified as you, thats why the accountant is probaly in the loop.

The other thing you need to know is what happens if the account is abused

What can you do through this account.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've never done a CRB... how can do it myself? they won't accept it, they want a copy of my passport sent to them, am I allowed to send this CRB instead? is there a fee for this?

Forget about the CRB. CRBs are now DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks. You can't get these on yourself (which is why you were given a link to Disclosure Scotland where you can get something similar). An employer can get one but needs you to complete and sign a form, not simply send them a copy of your passport.
  • borderline
    Ask them which details they need off the passport.

The main purpose is an ID check, yes this is the person and that only needs the photo to be certified as you, thats why the accountant is probaly in the loop.

The other thing you need to know is what happens if the account is abused

What can you do through this account.

It would be much easier if I could just say no
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    it's the policy of this foreign exchange company to ask for a copy of passport in order to create this type of account. Why I don't know because this account doesn't allow me to order any cash but still they want a copy of my passport.
    HR has a copy of my passport but I would imagine HR cannot give it to a 3rd party , I have to give it myself, and is not me opening the account , it will be an accountant where I work , so I have to give my passport to this accountant so she can enter all my details onto this account and send the copy of my passport.
    I don't really want to give my passport to this accountant either.
    My company won't allow me to have my mobile phone in the office in case I take a picture ( I work with cash) and yet they are ok to give my passport to an external company , this is what annoys me , all these procedures with us but we have to disclose everything to a 3rd party.
    If you don't want to send a copy of your passport, the straightforward answer is that the account is a company account, it is not your personal account, so it is a matter for your employer and the account company to sort out for themselves.

Both your employer and the account company are being ridiculous here. The account company should find another way to verify company accounts.

I seem to remember a case here a while back where someone had a personal account like this on behalf of his employer and there was all kinds of trouble because he either did or did not give the account details to his boss. It is bad medicine to have external company accounts registered to individuals
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • borderline wrote: »
    she could, she has an account but I'm the one sending the money.

What I would like to know if Data protection Act will allow me to say no to my boss

No your mouth will allow you to say no. Tell the boss to get it set up as a company access not a personal one.
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure