Royal Mail Shares

Comments

• brasso
    brasso Posts: 795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ologhai wrote: »
    I think that this may be the closest you'll get to an apology and an admission that you may have a point, Brasso. ;)

No apology required. Everyone has a view, and I'm interested to read them -- particularly if they differ from mine...
    "I don't mind if a chap talks rot. But I really must draw the line at utter rot." - PG Wodehouse
  • creamtee
    creamtee Posts: 28 Forumite
    Not selling my shares, going to give them to my mum for Christmas, she took part in the British Gas, BT shares offer and is not internet savvy so didnt take part. Now she can :-) Thanks for the info provided by posters here.
  • Before I waste my time lamenting - can anyone please confirm the following:

If you were silly enough to choose the certificate option, would you be able to sell today (assuming these nutjobs provide the necessary info)

I would have thought you should be able to sell on Equiniti's platform???
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 October 2013 at 9:49AM
    I received my e-mail at 09.33. So within 1hr 33 mins of the share being able to be sold unconditionally (ie the Government finally gave the official go-ahead for privatisation. Previous to that time - 08:00 a.m. today - the Government could have, officially, stopped the privatisation. In which case, all the sales/buys made in the previous couple of days, which were conditional transactions, would have to have been cancelled.)

This is within the time limit given in the prospectus.

I'm not selling yet, but good luck to the posters above who are desperate to do so, this very second.

Edit: my surname begins with "M", so unsure where I am in the staggered e-mail posting. I also only bought, IIRC, on Friday, 4th Oct.

By the way, if you sell via Equiniti, share sales are grouped together, so request at 09:00 will sell with others at 11:00.
    In order to manage the anticipated high volumes and provide a route for Royal Mail Nominee Share Service participants who simply wish to sell all their shares during this time, Equiniti is providing an easy-to-use service exclusively for Royal Mail Nominee Share Service participants:
    • a simple automated system using your telephone - no need to register or open an account
    • charges: 0.75% of the transaction value, minimum £7.50
    • available 24 hours a day - place your sale instruction at any time
    • instructions will be added together with those of other customers and sold at intervals:
      • received on a business day by 9.00 a.m. - sale by 11.00 a.m
      • received on a business day by 1.00 p.m. - sale by 3.00 p.m
      • received after 1.00 p.m., sale by 11.00 a.m. on the next business day
    • a cheque will be sent to you two business days after the sale together with details of the transaction
  • SavingFish
    SavingFish Posts: 83 Forumite
    brasso wrote: »
    Is this an example of "imposing a view" too? Or is this one OK simply because it's yours? Vladimir Putin would love your logic.
    Not taking sides, I just like linguistics (natural language processing on computers and the like...) :)
    This sentence is in the imperative...
    stop panicking people!
    whereas...
    Chippy99 wrote: »
    That they are being prevented from doing so is imho disgraceful.
    ...is not.

In fairness you both have reasonable points. It will probably be fine, but the situation has been horribly mishandled. :)
  • Chippy99
    Chippy99 Posts: 100 Forumite
    Ologhai wrote: »
    I think that this may be the closest you'll get to an apology and an admission that you may have a point, Brasso. ;)

Correct ;-)
  • Ologhai
    Ologhai Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    No apology required. Everyone has a view, and I'm interested to read them -- particularly if they differ from mine...

Very mature minded of you. Something for others (including me!) to aspire to. :)
  • I received my e-mail at 09.33. So within 1hr 33 mins of the share being able to be sold unconditionally (ie the Government finally gave the official go-ahead for privatisation. Previous to that time - 08:00 a.m. today - the Government could have, officially, stopped the privatisation. In which case, all the sales/buys made in the previous couple of days, which were conditional transactions, would have to have been cancelled.)

This is within the time limit given in the prospectus.

I'm not selling yet, but good luck to the posters above who are desperate to do so, this very second.

Edit: my surname begins with "M", so unsure where I am in the staggered e-mail posting. I also only bought, IIRC, on Friday, 4th Oct.

Thanks for the heads up, guess it's a waiting game now.

What did the email say? Can you sell them online and does it give you instructions to do that?
  • mssloan
    mssloan Posts: 67 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Still waiting for my shareholder reference number. Can't trade them until I have that as I can't set up an account with Equiniti (yep, I was dummy enough to use the official site and so will be stung by rip-off charges when I try to sell)

mssloan
    Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm DEBT-FREE at last! (with apologies to Martin Luther King :))
    Debt Free Roll of Honor #488
  • Thanks for the heads up, guess it's a waiting game now.

What did the email say? Can you sell them online and does it give you instructions to do that?

Oh, hadn't seen this. I have edited my last post to include some info.
    In order to manage the anticipated high volumes and provide a route for Royal Mail Nominee Share Service participants who simply wish to sell all their shares during this time, Equiniti is providing an easy-to-use service exclusively for Royal Mail Nominee Share Service participants:
    • a simple automated system using your telephone - no need to register or open an account
    • charges: 0.75% of the transaction value, minimum £7.50
    • available 24 hours a day - place your sale instruction at any time
    • instructions will be added together with those of other customers and sold at intervals:
      • received on a business day by 9.00 a.m. - sale by 11.00 a.m
      • received on a business day by 1.00 p.m. - sale by 3.00 p.m
      • received after 1.00 p.m., sale by 11.00 a.m. on the next business day
    • a cheque will be sent to you two business days after the sale together with details of the transaction
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure