PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

washing a duvet

Comments

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have an extra large machine so can was mine and most of my friends duvets without a trip to the laundrette. A 4.5 is going to be quite thin so i would wash in the machine and then chuck over the banister turning every day until it is dry. I do this with a super thick 13tog one so a 4.5 should be no trouble. My local market sells anytog doubles for £5 but I just can't bring myself to throw something away that is still servicable and just need a wash even though it would probably be cheaper just to bin it and buy new.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Hiya

Our local dry cleaners-clean any sized duvet for £5 :eek: Great for my super-king quilt..lol ;)

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Just a quick note to remind you all to be very careful about dry-cleaned duvets. I'm sure most (all, I sincerely hope!) dry-cleaners know about thoroughly airing duvets which have been cleaned, as it's EXTREMELY important to get all the solvent gases dispersed. These can be lethal. There have been cases in the past of people sleeping in dry-cleaned sleeping bags and never waking up. I may be over-reacting, but I'd always rather wash, for this reason.

Purplegirl, you said 'I know it will fit in the washer as its smaller than a load of washing' but sadly that doesn't mean it will be OK in the machine. OH has explained to me that the trouble with duvets (even lightweight ones) is that they absorb a load of water and become really really heavy, and can break the bits holding the w/machine drum in place - or something like that.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Dont try drying one in the tumble drier.We did this and burned the element out.
    OH had to go and buy a new element from the manufacturers and it would have been cheaper to have bought a new duvet instead.
  • Our family always has a laugh at this - when we go through Norwich to visit family (we live in southern England); always see a washeteria with a big sign that says they have the biggest machines and can wash all size duvets. Standing joke is that one day we will bring all the duvets along to leave them to be washed and pick them up again on the way back.
  • purplegirluk1
    purplegirluk1 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    eastchristina, our machine has a large drum and it supposed to fit a duvet in it. I was worried about putting it in the TD thats all, I have decided to hang it out now as I don't think it could take it.
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Morrisons sell cotton covered duvets for about £10. Cheaper than the local launderette. The old ones can be donated to the RSPCA as pet bedding.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • Our little puppy has just done a wee wee on our king sized duvet. The duvet is far too large to fit in my washing machine. Is it worth while taking it along to a launderette (nearest one is about 15 miles away as local one has closed down) or should I go and buy a £16 Makro special offer one?
    The duvet is theoretically washable but I have no idea as to how much it would cost to wash it in a launderette. Do they charge by weight?
    Thanks.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    It depends on what your duvet is made of. If it's hollow fibre fill etc, it will probably go a bit lumpy, you could put tennis balls into the tumble drier whilst it dries but that is only really worthwhile if it is a feather duvet to regain the loft in the feathers. If I were you, I'd go for the Makro special at £16. By the time you factor in your time to wash and dry it, costs to do so, travel to and from etc etc, you'd be just as cheap to buy a duvet from Makro. Well, that is what I would do anyway. Would it be possible to just wash the bit that your pooch peed on or not, rather than washing the whole duvet, if it was at the edge of the duvet or near the corner etc, perhaps you could just run the patch of it through in the bath or something, and foot stomp it to dry it.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Maybe there is a local dry cleaners near to you with an offer on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure