Declined card but payment pending

Options
Morning Everyone,

I am new to the site.

I have an issue that i hoped someone with more experience could help me with.

I did a weekly shop yesterday and when i got to the till my card was declined twice. There was no reason for this as there was plenty of money in the account and its a relatively new card. My husband tried his from a different bank and account and again the same happened. Hence we thought that this was the terminal and not the cards. In the end we paid on credit card. When we got home we called both banks who advised the money was authorised. Lloyds were relatively helpful and said it would drop back into the account, Natwest who i am with has said it may get paid. Luckily i kept the receipt but this weekend if we take into consideration available funds we are down in excess of £400. Whilst this isnt the end of the world for us for some it may have been and could be the difference between paying bills and not paying bills.

Is it normal that a declined card would still authorise and also will the money be taken or should it go back into the account?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Dem

Comments

• Hellzapoppin
    Options
    The payment is pending because it wasn't declined. It sounds like for some reason, the retailer did not receive the message that the transaction was approved.

If the retailer does not post the transaction to your account, it will not debit and the funds will become available in your account again. How long this takes will vary from bank to bank.
  • Missus_Hyde
    Missus_Hyde Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've had this happen a few times with Apple Pay. It does seem to be a bit hit and miss as to whether the payment is declined or not; I think depending how much limit the shop has put on the transactions. Marks and Spencer's seem to have set a limit of £100 on their transactions, but other shops seem to have declined lesser amounts.

However, the payment slip goes through with "declined" on it and although it shows up on my phone, it doesn't come up as a pending transaction on the bank account.
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • Dem1979
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I think i shall keep a close eye on it. Its been taken from my available funds (hence the banks description was pending) but they have confirmed that the funds have not left the account yet. Fingers crossed eh???

Thanks again
    D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family