Race Passion

Has anybody had any problems with them?
I have asked for my money back and been refused, i have involved Trading standards and now am proceeding to court action.

Comments

• rsykes2000
    rsykes2000 Posts: 2,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Never heard of them. What do they do and what did they do to you ?
  • lmorton
    lmorton Posts: 32 Forumite
    As a new member i cannot post links or photographs, how many posts do i need to enable me to do this?
  • lmorton
    Long story short, the basics are........

Commisioned them to source and build a campervan, paid booking fee and told it would take two weeks to complete, collection date 25th Feb. Have spec sheet & proof.

23rd Feb told campervan would not be completed on time, was furious as had booked holidays off work, paid for travel to collect campervan & sold car. Have proof.

Eventually given new date of 20th March, almost a month later for a two week job !!! Have proof.

20th March came and went, no campervan, contacted Trading standards, issued recorded delivery letter to state collection in 14 days or full refund, this took date to 1st April. 1st April came and went no campervan. Have proof.

Eventually got campervan on 9th April, estimates to put right so far are approx £6,000 and awaiting estimate for other items in need of repair. Asked for refund, refused. Have proof.
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Why did you accept the campervan with £6k of faults? Surely some would have been obvious on collection? Have you paid in full? How much in total?
  • lmorton
    edited 8 May 2010 at 8:31PM
    The worst of the damage was not noticed until we took the vehicle to Iveco to have a new tyre as one was bald, they pointed out that our wheel nuts were not the same on the back as they were the front and conducted a saftey report, the back axle is not even for the model of van we have, that part alone costs over £2,000 and that's without vat or labour, the rest of the problems 'so far' were found by Iveco and are not something your everyday member of the public would be aware of. As soon as i am able to i will post the Iveco saftey report.

In total £12,500 was paid. £500 as a booking deposit, £6,000 to commence work, £6,000 on collection. That was also a carry on as he would not accept a cheque, bankers cheque or credit card payment for the final £6,000 it had to be a direct transfer into his bank account. I live at the top of Scotland and the van was in Wales. Trading standards inform me that the company is liable up to six months after collection.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There is nothing inherently unsafe in the vehicle having a different back axle that which it had originally.
    It was probably changed at sometime to change the ratio... to improve the driving experience... make the acceleration, top speed, torque more suitable for a leisure vehicle.
  • lmorton
    edited 9 May 2010 at 5:48PM
    Hello Keith
    Thats an interesting angle however i have yet to find a campervan that needs to carry 2 spare tyres. If there was the remotest possibility that the vehicle required this change do you not think we should have been informed of this by Race Passion?
    The garage section of the vehicle was to accomodate 3 large dogs, i was very specific about that, add an extra tyre and its now impossible to fit 3 cages.
    I spoke to the previous owners of the vehicle and the garage that serviced it until Jan, prior to its sale to Race Passion the axles were the same, the spec sheet from Race Passion is dated 2nd Feb so it would seem clear to me they changed it without informing us.

I will post the Iveco report as soon as i am able to along with photo's of the other problems, my camper looks great on their website but all the photo's on there are taken from a distance.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    lmorton wrote: »
    I spoke to the previous owners of the vehicle and the garage that serviced it until Jan,

you said the camper vn was being built in your first post, this to me suggests it was built from scratch so to speak so how can there be a previous owner

im not being picky but theres a contradiction
  • lmorton
    I apologise, should have said source a van and convert to a campervan rather than - Commisioned them to source and build a campervan.

The previous owners had used it as a van only. Hope that makes it clearer.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    lmorton wrote: »
    I apologise, should have said source a van and convert to a campervan rather than - Commisioned them to source and build a campervan.

The previous owners had used it as a van only. Hope that makes it clearer.

yes i understand now

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family